mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could try to get Master Kato's dammy and see how much more it would cost you. The apprentice is most likely cheaper. LOL

4DAFD138-02D9-4FBE-9308-F59863A328ED.jpeg

maz mighty

Unless you live outside the US, have to add ~60 US$ for shipping and get hit with +8.5% customs duties and +20% VAT. Then you end up paying ~440 US$ for that knife and I wouldn't call it such a great deal then...
I agree but I have a couple of $400.00 semi custom knives from US makers and neither perform in the same league as my Mazaki's.
in fact I got such great pricing from a local shop on my Mazaki's that I regret some other purchases.

I agree but I have a couple of $400.00 semi custom knives from US makers and neither perform in the same league as my Mazaki's.
in fact I got such great pricing from a local shop on my Mazaki's that I regret some other purchases.
It's all very subjective. I have recently bought a custom gyuto from German maker Simon Herde. Price was approx. those 440 US$. In my point of view (and I really like my Mazakis) the better value for the money. But again, it's all highly subjective.

It's all very subjective. I have recently bought a custom gyuto from German maker Simon Herde. Price was approx. those 440 US$. In my point of view (and I really like my Mazakis) the better value for the money. But again, it's all highly subjective.
Very true, I just need to do more research and not buy a knife instantly without knowing the maker...

New Mazakis at CKC. A little different profile

looks exactly like the one I got from KNS just a while ago.

I cant say enough good things about it, albeit with the context that it costs under 300 dollars for us Americans. if it were 500 dollars I'd might pick something else but I'm extremely happy with mine as is. The profile is just AWESOME imo as is the weight. It's just right for me. Quite heavy for a 240 but nothing silly.

I will agree with the criticism that the cladding appears to be allergic to forming an attractive patina.

A Herde at 440 sounds like a deal for a custom knife - I think Jannis/Benjamin charge 1,000 plus for knives on their site, so with a price difference of 2x, I wonder about what is value and quality in knife making when the price swings are so substantial

Unless you live outside the US, have to add ~60 US$ for shipping and get hit with +8.5% customs duties and +20% VAT. Then you end up paying ~440 US$ for that knife and I wouldn't call it such a great deal then...
Btw, I live in Switzerland, and was. It hit by these duties when my Mazaki arrived from CKC

A Herde at 440 sounds like a deal for a custom knife - I think Jannis/Benjamin charge 1,000 plus for knives on their site, so with a price difference of 2x, I wonder about what is value and quality in knife making when the price swings are so substantial
Simon is still a student. He makes it on the side. Only heard good things about his knives and talked a bit with him. I went for a Custom around March/April. One month later we discussed the details. Then one month later he informed me they would be done somnewhere between October to January. Then I talked with him again he said there is a good chance he will finish them in November since he was pretty much done with the blades beginning of October. No idea when I will get them but I will be happy I'm quite sure. Communication isn't his strong suit but I don't really care and am not in a hurry. He does stock removal and gets them heattreated by quite a competent person. Fit and finish is well done. Definitely different interaction compared to other knifemakers. Can't really be compared to Kamon or Xerxes who work quite differently.

Simon is still a student. He makes it on the side. Only heard good things about his knives and talked a bit with him. I went for a Custom around March/April. One month later we discussed the details. Then one month later he informed me they would be done somnewhere between October to January. Then I talked with him again he said there is a good chance he will finish them in November since he was pretty much done with the blades beginning of October. No idea when I will get them but I will be happy I'm quite sure. Communication isn't his strong suit but I don't really care and am not in a hurry. He does stock removal and gets them heattreated by quite a competent person. Fit and finish is well done. Definitely different interaction compared to other knifemakers. Can't really be compared to Kamon or Xerxes who work quite differently.

Very helpful and insightful

It always depends on what exactly you’re looking at. Those prices aren’t true - or they are. It depends what we are talking about. A monosteel Kamon will cost less. A fancy damascus Xerxes will cost 3 or 4 times that price...

Yup - completely agree

looks exactly like the one I got from KNS just a while ago.

I cant say enough good things about it, albeit with the context that it costs under 300 dollars for us Americans. if it were 500 dollars I'd might pick something else but I'm extremely happy with mine as is. The profile is just AWESOME imo as is the weight. It's just right for me. Quite heavy for a 240 but nothing silly.

I will agree with the criticism that the cladding appears to be allergic to forming an attractive patina.
My blue #1 seems to be taking a really nice patina.

While this is true (the shipping, vat etc), it doesn’t really speak to whether the knife is very good value for money at $280. The fact that you (and me) can’t get it for that price is a distinct matter.

Btw, talking about good value, Toyama stainless clad 210 mm Gyuto on sale for 321 at JNS - that is a good value as the knife is an amazing performer

What does everyone think about the new profile on the CKC mazaki gyutos.? Im not good at reading specs The 210cm gyuto has edge lenght of 214mm.
Height at heel: 51mm, Spine thickness above heel/ mid/ 1cm from tip: 5mm/ 2.7mm/ .7mm. Weight: 196g

What can one read into that?

New maz look nice at carbon. Not loving those handles at all but the blades look great. A little thick but nothing that can’t be adjusted. I swear.. one of these days i’m just going to go back to using maz, mune, hinoura, wakui, and call it a day. At least when it comes to pro kitchens. Some of these “budget friendly” options perform just as good if not better than some of the knives in the $500 and more range. Really want to pick a maz 270 up since I have two 240s already but It will have to be another time.

New maz look nice at carbon. Not loving those handles at all but the blades look great. A little thick but nothing that can’t be adjusted. I swear.. one of these days i’m just going to go back to using maz, mune, hinoura, wakui, and call it a day. At least when it comes to pro kitchens. Some of these “budget friendly” options perform just as good if not better than some of the knives in the $500 and more range. Really want to pick a maz 270 up since I have two 240s already but It will have to be another time.

just wait for KNS to restock. that handle is perfect for the knife IMO

My old batch maz 240 Gyuto specs

Heel height 54.5 mm
Heel to tip - 245

Weight - 244 gm

So very similar in profile to the new batch - slightly less heel height in the new knives - that could vary from knife to knife I presume

Is it worth asking Santa for a Mazaki Damascus?

I wonder given it’s price tag

What does everyone think about the new profile on the CKC mazaki gyutos.?
I’m disappointed. The previous batch had a beautiful profile that I was very interested in buying in the near future. It was the only knife on my wish list that I would consider ordering internationally. This new batch seems to taper more near the tip with less belly and loses that sexy French shape. More like a spear shape. Also the new wood ferrule is less attractive than the buffalo horn.

Back