mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of these Mazakis. It's a really nice knife. The steel is super hard and it feels very sturdy in hand. On stones it doesn't have the best feedback and feels somewhat glassy. The taper is spot on so that you can do finer work with the tip, athough it still doesnt glide through onions as easy as some other knives. The profile is very flat - too flat for my taste as I like a bit of belly, but I appreciate that it's an aspect a lot of forum members like. Overall though it's a great knife. Still think they're fantastic value for money.

Toghter with the Damascus clad ,this aogami 1 is so far the best of all mazaki I have tried

Attachments

• DSC_5229.JPG
    DSC_5229.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_5225.JPG
    DSC_5225.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_5223.JPG
    DSC_5223.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC_5220.JPG
    DSC_5220.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_5218.JPG
    DSC_5218.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 87
The mazaki BBQ from jns are the ones with worse grind and deeper marks . All the others are better grinded (not all of course)
In terms of heat treat the jns BBQ are a bit better ,harder on the stones but also more prone to chip in my experience (I have owned 12 at )

Just few words

What makes it the best?
My dammy clad is easily the best of the probably 15+ I’ve owned. Best grind, balance, ratios, finish. Just another huge level up. Completely through your and flawless execution. But the steel on the gen 1 nashiji is still the best of the bunch imo.

Last edited:
Got my first Mazaki today, traded my yoshi for it here on kkf.
its a JNS charcoal edition 240 Kasumi, immediate impressions is this is one heavy mumma compared to my other knives. Lotta belly in the profile, I have a K&S 240 Maz Kasumi on the way as well soon, whichever falls short of the other will end up on BST.

Excited to try this on the stones, this will be the highest hrc knife I would have ever sharpened. I will be taking this to work tomorrow to see if it jives with me, as it has for a lot of you.

She has some scratches and minor wear, but that’s how i like ‘em, keeps me from babying it too much and not using it to its full potential.

Thanks for bringing mazaki into my sights guys, next to try is a TF Mab 210!

Is your K&S version one of the newer ones? Any thoughts about it?

What angle should we be sharpening these knives edges? I'm still on the original edge which appears to be a zero grind. I was wondering if it can handle a 10 dps edge?

K&S 1st run of Mazaki knives from years ago. Haven’t found one after that comes close. Closest thing to an old school Kato STD that I have. 285 bucks View attachment 110745View attachment 110746to my door.
I agree. I now have 3 of the first gen with the draped nose/kato vibe. They’re still the overall best in that price point.

But he really took the gloves off on the b series and the dammy. Really works of art.

What angle should we be sharpening these knives edges? I'm still on the original edge which appears to be a zero grind. I was wondering if it can handle a 10 dps edge?

depends on your board and what you're cutting.

tbh Id just sharpen it aggressively and if it's too much you can always put a bit chunkier microbevel on it.

I also would not do 10 + 10, though 20 degrees inclusive could be fine since the steel is SO hard.

If the ootb zero grind is not chipping, then any angle higher than the grind angle will chip even less, I suppose?

depends on your board and what you're cutting.

tbh Id just sharpen it aggressively and if it's too much you can always put a bit chunkier microbevel on it.

I also would not do 10 + 10, though 20 degrees inclusive could be fine since the steel is SO hard.

I have a maple boardsmith on its way. So far I've been using a plastic board.

I didn't understand the second part, does that mean I can do 5 + 15? I sharpen with a work sharp so I can't probably do sub-10 anyway. :p

If the ootb zero grind is not chipping, then any angle higher than the grind angle will chip even less, I suppose?
I've been using it since the end of november and stropping on a work sharp leather belt. Haven't had any issues yet and the knife has been great overall. I'm not sure what angle the edge had out-of-the-box but I've been cutting only soft vegetables and chicken and avoiding slamming the edge onto the cutting board.

Aron at K&S said I could just sharpen similar to other j-knives so 12 degrees and 50/50.

I have a maple boardsmith on its way. So far I've been using a plastic board.

I didn't understand the second part, does that mean I can do 5 + 15? I sharpen with a work sharp so I can't probably do sub-10 anyway. :p

I mean I sharpen on stones, but Id estimate Im doing closer to 20/10 degrees, maybe even a bit steeper.

but I dont like running my microbevels that thin; most of a kitchen knife's performance comes from what's behind that tiny little bevel, so the less acute angle can prevent chipping smashing it against your board.

just my experience.

I agree. I now have 3 of the first gen with the draped nose/kato vibe. They’re still the overall best in that price point.

But he really took the gloves off on the b series and the dammy. Really works of art.
I’m good with what I’ve got, just a home user. I wouldn’t know about the blue or dammy steels. But at the price points I’ve seen, especially the Damascus. I would have zero interest.

I don’t think his blue pricing is that out there. I got my blue2 for under $500 which is cheaper than a Wat with non ho handle and on par with a lot of aogami knives. It’s just a lot more then his white2.

Damascus on the other hand I can’t even comprehend. Lol. That’s out of my league anyways.

I’m reading these comments and it feels like reading about muscle cars from the 60s - the name stayed the same but the car changed from year to year. I’m really hoping we’re not moving into the Mustang II era, because I still need to get my act together and try one of his gyutos.

Last edited:
I’m reading these comments and it feels like reading about muscle cars from the 60s - the name stayed the same but the car changed from year to year. I’m really hope we’re not moving into the Mustang II era, because I still need to get my act together and try one of his gyutos.

You and me both, but from my experience with craftsmen, they typically get better with time.

No one else finds the newest profile icky? I was going to try his blue this time since I've had 5 w#2s, but just couldn't do it. If someone is selling an older one lmk though.

probably to cut down on arbitrage.

which, frankly, is an extremely admirable goal.
Why would this cut down on arbitrage? Are previous mazaki customers less likely to resell?

I also don’t understand why a vendor or maker would care. They set the original price, if someone wants to resell, what’s the problem?

I don't think the ootb edge will be a zero grind, there is likely a bevel there although it should be rather small.

Back