mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$2600 is crazy. Not saying the dammy price is not crazy but this honyaki looks terrible with its finish and hamon which makes $2600 even crazier than the dammy. Y. Ikeda blue 1 honyaki would cost less. Those beautiful Y. ikeda white 1 Mt Fuji double hamon honyakis also cost less.

Last edited:
I think Mazaki is telling us he doesnt want to make very many of these lol. it's almost a "**** you" price, like you would charge someone you dont want to work with but if they want to finance your new boat then ok fine.

the issue is there always seems to be buyers for this stuff.

the it's meant to be used argument makes a ton of sense for his white 2 stuff where it genuinely is less expensive than most of the stuff it's otherwise equivalent to minus the price. but when we start talking about the Damascus stuff, or this Honyaki, these things go for huge money but are still finished like his 250 dollar white 2 knife.

I think Mazaki is telling us he doesnt want to make very many of these lol. it's almost a "**** you" price, like you would charge someone you dont want to work with but if they want to finance your new boat then ok fine.

the issue is there always seems to be buyers for this stuff.

the it's meant to be used argument makes a ton of sense for his white 2 stuff where it genuinely is less expensive than most of the stuff it's otherwise equivalent to minus the price. but when we start talking about the Damascus stuff, or this Honyaki, these things go for huge money but are still finished like his 250 dollar white 2 knife.
Well at least its got a horn ferrule.

Why do you guy thing the finish is so bad? I mean it would take a lot of time to make the honyaki or the damy (if he doesn't buy the premade one), for sure you can spend a day or 2 to give these knife a better finish, you already spend all that effort.

Why do you guy thing the finish is so bad? I mean it would take a lot of time to make the honyaki or the damy (if he doesn't buy the premade one), for sure you can spend a day or 2 to give these knife a better finish, you already spend all that effort.

usually when you buy a honyaki gyuto with a lower level of f&f it costs less than the mirror finished ones where a craftsman has invested significant effort in bringing out the hamon

finishing a honyaki in this state sounds like my literal personal hell.

Most work and therefore most of the price on a Japanese honyaki usually is the finish/polish of the knife.

So in terms of how much work is put in this knife the price is way too high....
Of course on the other hand you have the supply/demand argument.

The finish is bad for that price. Kaeru and Munetoshi honyakis have similar level of finish and are way way cheaper. And You can barely see the hamon and the hamon pattern is nothing special either.

The finish is bad for that price. Kaeru and Munetoshi honyakis have similar level of finish and are way way cheaper. And You can barely see the hamon and the hamon pattern is nothing special either.
I disagree, I think it's the best finished Mazaki honyaki I've ever seen. You're assuming the customer values those other makers similarly to Mazaki. I think it's a great price because it sold.

Yea…too many rich buyers in the world. Maybe a mirror polished Mazaki honyaki with a decent hamon will cost $4000.
At least that much. Most of the work that makes Japanese honyaki what it is and commends the higher price hasn't been put into this knife, so if you add the additional effort the price needs to be at least double if not triple of what it sold for.

I just fired on one of his kasumi W#2 with the new profile most seem to hate. Supposed to come in today. I actually like the new profile, but like the price even better. It's real cheap money nonetheless for what it is, and no mild HT, and hand finished.

I would like him to offer such cheap expertise in Blue also instead of going straight to the high-end bait with these. Just a surprising way to look at a business model, but hey if they sell, all the better for him.

At least that much. Most of the work that makes Japanese honyaki what it is and commends the higher price hasn't been put into this knife, so if you add the additional effort the price needs to be at least double if not triple of what it sold for.
If they do, suckers. Idk, maybe the market will catch up to Mazaki on these later. That Maz Damascus is still sitting last I checked on Carbon Co with that ugly handle. I think people just kind of jumped on them because it was a 🦄 sighting. Well, at least they learned to put a nice handle on these honyakis, which kind of highlights the poor finish. My blues look better than this imho.

If they do, suckers. Idk, maybe the market will catch up to Mazaki on these later. That Maz Damascus is still sitting last I checked on Carbon Co with that ugly handle. I think people just kind of jumped on them because it was a 🦄 sighting. Well, at least they learned to put a nice handle on these honyakis, which kind of highlights the poor finish. My blues look better than this imho.
I don't understand the whole Mazaki phenomena, I tried 3 different generations plus his ginsanko versions. All were OK knives and good for the price they went for. All were so different from one another that if I didn't know I would think they were made by different smiths. His damascus and blue prices seem crazy to me, but I haven't tried them so my opinion is worthless. This honyaki seems like a joke for that price. Honyaki have higher rate of failure and are more difficult to make, but if the maker won't take the time to put more effort into finishing them then what is the point and why such a drastic price increase? I guess for mazaki collectors it makes sense. He is the perfect maker to collect, each generation and steel version is drastically different from the rest. When talking about Mazaki, unless one knows the generation and steel one really doesn't know what knife is being discussed.

I think Maz might have used similar finishing process on honyaki and kasumi but honyaki steel is too hard compared to the kasumi’s soft cladding so the result is bad.

I think Maz might have used similar finishing process on honyaki and kasumi but honyaki steel is too hard compared to the kasumi’s soft cladding so the result is bad.
Perhaps, but you have to look at the knife and say this is not finished, especially fir a knife you are charging $2600. Again, I really like Mazaki’s knife, but this is Maz hype at its worse.

I don't understand the whole Mazaki phenomena, I tried 3 different generations plus his ginsanko versions. All were OK knives and good for the price they went for. All were so different from one another that if I didn't know I would think they were made by different smiths. His damascus and blue prices seem crazy to me, but I haven't tried them so my opinion is worthless. This honyaki seems like a joke for that price. Honyaki have higher rate of failure and are more difficult to make, but if the maker won't take the time to put more effort into finishing them then what is the point and why such a drastic price increase? I guess for mazaki collectors it makes sense. He is the perfect maker to collect, each generation and steel version is drastically different from the rest. When talking about Mazaki, unless one knows the generation and steel one really doesn't know what knife is being discussed.
Of course, it’s only my opinion, but I didn’t feel the blues 240 gyutos were outrageously priced that I got. I bought the blue 2 for 485 with a nice ebony handle, which includes a small shipping protection fee. After buying that one, and upon initial inspection I immediately bought the blue 1 for $619 without using the blue 2, same fee included, which included a really nice friction fit saya and a really nice imho ebony heart shaped handle. When you look at the blue 2 we are in the Toyama price range and they are worth every penny that a Toyama is worth- again imho. And the blue 1 came with a nice saya that you could probably say is easily worth $100, so that pretty much put it in the Toyama range also. Both with much nicer handles IMO.

Of course, it’s only my opinion, but I didn’t feel the blues 240 gyutos were outrageously priced that I got. I bought the blue 2 for 485 with a nice ebony handle, which includes a small shipping protection fee. After buying that one, and upon initial inspection I immediately bought the blue 1 for $619 without using the blue 2, same fee included, which included a really nice friction fit saya and a really nice imho ebony heart shaped handle. When you look at the blue 2 we are in the Toyama price range and they are worth every penny that a Toyama is worth- again imho. And the blue 1 came with a nice saya that you could probably say is easily worth $100, so that pretty much put it in the Toyama range also. Both with much nicer handles IMO.
Yea $400-$600 is not bad especially the blue 2 option. Just curious how does his blue 1 or 2 steel feel?

Last edited:
Perhaps, but you have to look at the knife and say this is not finished, especially fir a knife you are charging $2600. Again, I really like Mazaki’s knife, but this is Maz hype at its worse.

I think that plus the trader realize there are high demand for his knife. So they make the mark up to an insane level. I think the cost they buy directly from Mazaki may be only half the actual prices we pay, may be even more.

I was more commenting on damascus blues that were expensive. Regular blues were priced comparable to toyama, but couldn't be bough by mere mortals, one had to be a previous customer of mazaki knives from K&S or some such nonsense. I lost interest after that plenty of other knives out there. Like I said I haven't tried blue mazakis, but I wouldn't pay toyama prices for white mazaki and not because of steel, just different category of knives to me. Blues might be better, I don't know.

Yea $400-$600 is not bad especially the blue 2 option. Just curious how does his blue 1 or 2 steel feel?
I’d be curious about others opinions of his blue heat treatment. The blue 2 is a drawer queen BNIB and probably will be for awhile. I’ve used the Blue #1 and initially very impressed. The steel feels very hard and seems like it will hold an edge a long time. I got a little rough with it on the board chopping some herbs to test it some. No real damage came from it, but it definitely dulled it some, even though you can still feel the edge have quite a bit of bite. I cut other things with it before and after, but haven’t put it in the stones. But I am planning on putting it on them very soon, maybe even tonight. I’ll be curious how it sharpens. I have an inkling that his blue heat treatment is going to be very impressive, but it’s only the impression it has left on me so I can’t say fir sure. Would definitely like to hear what others think about his heat treatment. Both of them came blazing sharp OOTB as good as anything I’ve ever come across.

_😔
👉👈

when you're trying to make a serious point about price discrimination (albeit couched in irony) and everyone thinks you're joking

_😔
👉👈

when you're trying to make a serious point about price discrimination (albeit couched in irony) and everyone thinks you're joking
Your previous comment seemed a sarcastic way to say there is a lot of hype with Mazaki knives, and it isn’t worth the price. But someone still bought it. But perhaps you can explain what you meant. I took it as sarcasm.

I was more commenting on damascus blues that were expensive. Regular blues were priced comparable to toyama, but couldn't be bough by mere mortals, one had to be a previous customer of mazaki knives from K&S or some such nonsense. I lost interest after that plenty of other knives out there. Like I said I haven't tried blue mazakis, but I wouldn't pay toyama prices for white mazaki and not because of steel, just different category of knives to me. Blues might be better, I don't know.
Actually, I think the blue 2s ended up being available to whoever. I believe they sat there for awhile and then they made them available to whoever. That is how I got mine.

I know I will be bashed for saying this, but how come it does not look like a Honyaki - in that sense it’s kind of unique, a non- ashi aspiring Honyaki- the ashi yo Honyaki makes me salivate each time I see it - should have grabbed it when I had the chance.

would love to see more of this knife after further polishing

congrats to the Mazaki pinnacle of k ice msking

Actually, I think the blue 2s ended up being available to whoever. I believe they sat there for awhile and then they made them available to whoever. That is how I got mine.
Ah, didn’t know this. I thought the prerequisite was BS, so moved on.

Back