Meat Fabricating Knives - New Line

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is one type that I am considering, that is shorter than a typical scimitar (a typical is about 300mm). this one is about 9-9.5 inch. I will post pics tomorrow of the old blade that I have in my possession. If there is interest for at least 2-3, I will make it. I don't take any custom orders at the moment.

An additional question. How about stainless steel scimitar? I will heat treat it to be about 62RC with excellent wear resistance and sharpen-ability.

Thanks,

Marko

How many inches would it be? More than 9.5 would be overkill for me.

How about making a hickory wood handled knife like the old fashioned butcher blades? Is there any reason you folks in the knife and handle making community don't like hickory?

I think this might have been a full lengh scimitar (see it side-by-side with 330mm MT scimitar), shortened for some reason, or this is the actual length of the scimitar as made, the blade height has not been reduced during sharpening.

If there is interest, for at least two or three blades in this length (9.5-10"), I will do it the Pro Line/Entry Level. Can do them in 52100 or AEB-L (convex).

Thanks,

Marko

IMG_20150511_113530756.jpg

I think that was the original length of the upper knife. Cutlery companies have always made this pattern in blade lengths from 8 to 14-inches with every possible variation in between. The knife looks a lot like the 12-inch Dexter I've been using for butchering something like 35+ years. Don't put much blade wear on a knife you only use 2 or 3 times a year if you are lucky hunting. I gave up on our cattle herd a number of years ago when I discovered at the end of the year how much money I was donating to feeding the rest of the country.

This type of knife is a boning knife that is going to be available in Wa or Western handle, in variety of steels and I also might do it in a single beveled akin to Watanabe custom "sabaki", though the two in the picture below are double-beveled.

The shorter version is 115mm and longer 150mm.

sabaki.jpg

Will CPM 3V be one of the available steels? Always seemed it would make a great boning knife.

Back