Mechanical Keyboards, not just for gamers.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucasFur

Warrior of Jarhead clan
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mouse crapped out at work, decided to buy my own, i didnt want their cheapo replacement.
While at Best Buy in toronto, i tested some mechanical keyboards out ... OH LA LA.

Ended up buying myself a Corsair k70 cherry mx red switch. it was so light my Typos went up 50%
returned it the next day for a corsair k70 mx brown switch. again still high typos because of the lightness of the switch coming off membrane keyboards.
Returned and got a razer black widow chroma V2 with Razer Green switch (comparable to cherry mx Blues) and i hate to say but im in heaven.

Wish i could find a keyboard with cherry mx blue switches and with macro keys ( i find them extreeeeeeeeemely handy for coding/ excel/ and autocad)

Mouse I picked up was a Logitech MX Master 2X and its amazing with a palm grip, side scroll again for autocad, and buttons galore.

Looking to see others experiences.
we talk so much around here about knives and how they feel in hand, how the feel cutting, but potentially spend no time in other areas of life making small improvements to make us happy. New Phone, another knife, different car, new computer. Never have i thought about keyboard, but now i did and its amazing.

Super happy with my new setup, dont know if i should claim it as an expense because its a little excessive.

Cheers Y'all
-Lucas

I've been using black switch mechanical keyboards for years. Will never use anything else. The tactile sensation of a mechanical switch is amazing. I'm on a Ducky Shine One right now.

I'm still on my realforce 87U tenkeyless. Topre switches are super sweet to type on. Price dropped significantly. I remember paying close to $350 about 8 years ago.

Mouse crapped out at work, decided to buy my own, i didnt want their cheapo replacement.
While at Best Buy in toronto, i tested some mechanical keyboards out ... OH LA LA.

Ended up buying myself a Corsair k70 cherry mx red switch. it was so light my Typos went up 50%
returned it the next day for a corsair k70 mx brown switch. again still high typos because of the lightness of the switch coming off membrane keyboards.
Returned and got a razer black widow chroma V2 with Razer Green switch (comparable to cherry mx Blues) and i hate to say but im in heaven.

Wish i could find a keyboard with cherry mx blue switches and with macro keys ( i find them extreeeeeeeeemely handy for coding/ excel/ and autocad)

Mouse I picked up was a Logitech MX Master 2X and its amazing with a palm grip, side scroll again for autocad, and buttons galore.

Looking to see others experiences.
we talk so much around here about knives and how they feel in hand, how the feel cutting, but potentially spend no time in other areas of life making small improvements to make us happy. New Phone, another knife, different car, new computer. Never have i thought about keyboard, but now i did and its amazing.

Super happy with my new setup, dont know if i should claim it as an expense because its a little excessive.

Cheers Y'all
-Lucas

Blue switches absolutely rule, I use blue at home but can’t do so at work as it would annoy people around me.... click click click click

Using brown at work and it’s just not the same

For a mouse we have the Logitech G400 and we have two G400S's stored away in their unopened packaging. Best mouse ever made.

I am literally hearing about this stuff for the first time, did not even know it existed. I would like to ask - how loud are these in actual use compared to standard keyboards. I am intrigued. I might be interested to get one for work and stop using the laptop keyboard all the time.

I am literally hearing about this stuff for the first time, did not even know it existed. I would like to ask - how loud are these in actual use compared to standard keyboards. I am intrigued. I might be interested to get one for work and stop using the laptop keyboard all the time.

Compared to a rubber dome the Cherry mx switches in general are really loud, and the blues incredibly loud. That is mostly due to people depressing the keys to the bottom when typing even if that is not needed. They actuate a far bit away from the bottom of the stroke. I've put some rubber o-rings beneath the keys on my Filco Majestouch with brown switches and it do make a difference.

The typing feel compared to rubber domes are night and day though. I also kitted my keyboard out with rainbow PBT-keys, spiffy! (Different keycaps the doesn't get so glossy)

Small commenct regarding buying mouses and keyboards for work by yourself. Make sure that is allowed by the IT department, some places doesn't allow that due to security reasons. That is mostly company espionage risks at rather large companies.

Here are the Cherry MX Blue in action.
[video=youtube;3a4IfFO9KIs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a4IfFO9KIs[/video]

We also have rubber o-rings on the keycaps and it does dampen the sound a bit.

I've had my buckling spring at work for nearly 10 years now. It annoys people and I don't care.

heh that sounds like a dream! Been using mechanical for many years, during vacation season (in this country everything almost shuts down during July) I brought my "old" shine 2 with blue switches at work and well before midday the few people in the office where all complaining.

I despise red and browns just feel "gritty" to me so that leaves pretty much only blacks (other then few niche switches) but blacks feel like im sending my fingers to the gym for 8-10hrs just cant do it for extended periods, hence stuck using crappy domed KB :(.

Here are the Cherry MX Blue in action.
[video=youtube;3a4IfFO9KIs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a4IfFO9KIs[/video]

We also have rubber o-rings on the keycaps and it does dampen the sound a bit.

Thanks. I actually really like the sound :) but my coworkers would kill me :) It is obvious - I need to get a better position with my own office :p

My fiancée uses MX Blue at work as well and she also got some complaints from people at the office. Too bad for them she's the owner of the company so the only choice they had was to get used to it :lol2:

Thanks. I actually really like the sound :) but my coworkers would kill me :) It is obvious - I need to get a better position with my own office :p

its not just the clickyness though. thats what i was somewhat getting at. they just feel better to type on. and i love my macro keys. and the program ability. Perfect example, i input a lot of numbers on my key pad, but with everything going on i often hit num lck. I just go into the program disable that key. there is also a "Game mode" where i can have that key or any key or keys disabled as i please. And in "game mode" i can set a whole new set of macros on the keys. I wanted to have a "+" symbol near my left hand ... Done - I just re-assign the squigly line beside 1 to +. media control shortcuts. conversions i often do. like =10.764* (m2 to Ft2)

Blue switches absolutely rule, I use blue at home but can’t do so at work as it would annoy people around me.... click click click click

Using brown at work and it’s just not the same

You use a mechanical keyboard also?!?! ... KH-ashy - fill me in what else you got going on.

I'm still on my realforce 87U tenkeyless. Topre switches are super sweet to type on. Price dropped significantly. I remember paying close to $350 about 8 years ago.

wow those are really pricy, still. looking on amazon its 350ish cad. I guess the Topre switches are extra amazing? ... want to fill me in?

My fiancée uses MX Blue at work as well and she also got some complaints from people at the office. Too bad for them she's the owner of the company so the only choice they had was to get used to it :lol2:

wow CEO of the company and multi level jujitsu woman. Daym. Not going to lie though, I hate your avatar.

-------------------------- i guess im the only kid with a razzeerrrrrr rgb keyboard.

Not a new thread, I was just curious if it was nostalgia or they were something new and awesome.

Gotcha.
Head over to your local best buy. Give them a go. If your just a casual keyboard user might not be a good fit.
but there is something now that im getting more use to it, not having to bottom out the keys. Just the Feels, a lot of FEELS

Why do I feel like this thread will lead to some sort of key thining and arguments on which keyboard is considered a wide bevel

My current daily driver is a kinesis freestyle edge. I use it mainly for FPS gaming and it's awesome. For FPS, I usually don't use the other half of the board so this allows me to move my mouse hand closer. Also check out massdrop if you're interested in other layouts and key caps or switches. I really wanted to try out the ortholinear ones like the planck next time but I don't do as much typing nowadays.

Ha! I should just say fek it and take it in with me

heh that sounds like a dream! Been using mechanical for many years, during vacation season (in this country everything almost shuts down during July) I brought my "old" shine 2 with blue switches at work and well before midday the few people in the office where all complaining.

The people in my office complained. And I just kept using my keyboard. And eventually they give up on complaining. Then I started at a new job and the process started again. After 3.5 years at this job, they've given up again.

I grew up on the old IBM mechanical keyboard, using a Razer Black Widow now. I don't remember what color type the switches are, I bought it a few years ago, and it just works. Can't ever go back to cheap membrane keys.

Like @Paraffin I had several old IBM mechanicals but they drove others crazy. I've now settled on a Logitech Performance MX mouse with their K800 keyboard. In practice, I often just use the keyboard on my 17" Alienware but the mouse is always there - it rocks. Having used illuminated keyboards for many years, I can't seem to get comfortable with any that aren't.

By far the best mouse I've ever used is the Zowie FK1. The left and right click switches are perfect and the optical sensor is a so precise and reactive it's a dream to use.

Back