Mechanical Keyboards, not just for gamers.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i like the feedback mechanical ones give, but cant stand the clicky noise. best mouse i have yet to find so far has been logitech mx anywhere
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0082D5660/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 upon finding the link, i realize there is an updated version now. i might try that when i eventually break this one :D

I love the Logitech Mobile MX mouse, especially for work. I own around 5 of them just in case they get discontinued. I prefer the original ones because I don't need the bluetooth, multiple computer pairing setup, and can find them on sale from time to time at $24.99. The original MX carry a 3 year warranty and under heavy use the switches usually under the left mouse button give up after 1.5 years, so I warranty it and get another one. It's a known issue and I believe the newer MX's have been downgraded to 1 year warranty for this reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Logitech Mobile MX mouse, especially for work. I own around 5 of them just in case they get discontinued. I prefer the original ones because I don't need the bluetooth, multiple computer pairing setup, and can find them on sale from time to time at $24.99. The original MX carry a 3 year warranty and under heavy use the switches usually under the left mouse button give up after 1.5 years, so I warranty it and get another one. It's a known issue and I believe the newer MX's have been downgraded to 1 year warranty for this reason.

Really? thats interesting.
Yea looking on the logitech website -- Master mx has a 1 year warranty. the performance Mx and my old mouse (M500) have 3 year warranty.
I had the optical sensor stop working on mine. ... for the $100cad every few years isnt the worst thing in the world. Im glad it would be the mouse button rather than the battery that cant hold a charge.

You guys are strange

If one can enjoy the tactile feel of a nicely ground knife slicing through veggies, why not enjoy the tactile feel of a mechanical keyboard switch? Once you try it, you can never go back to cheapo rubber dome.

If one can enjoy the tactile feel of a nicely ground knife slicing through veggies, why not enjoy the tactile feel of a mechanical keyboard switch? Once you try it, you can never go back to cheapo rubber dome.
As someone who works on a crappy Dell desktop in the office, but runs a mac at home, I imagine myself beating the life out of that thing Office Space style (Geto Boyz, Louisville slugger and all) every day of the week.

Keyboard snobism and nerdiness overload aside, I think y'all might be onto something here...

Once you try it, you can never go back to cheapo rubber dome.

Exactly what I am thinking, getting a "real" keyboard for work may ruin my typing experience forever elsewhere. Kind of like going over to my parents' place and having to use their dull 20year old Wustofs

Next thing you know they will say they still use kitchen knives made out of steel, and they sharpen the dang things on old rocks. Bunch of friggin' neanderthals here! (I'll bet some still cook over fire, too!)
Ha! Imagine being such an uncultured peasant....live flame for cooking? That's soooo 1800s. they have apps for that now no doubt

Roseville Browns. I switch back and forth depending on computer but definitely like these. Too many complaints at work and still getting use to the travel on these keys.

Exactly what I am thinking, getting a "real" keyboard for work may ruin my typing experience forever elsewhere. Kind of like going over to my parents' place and having to use their dull 20year old Wustofs

Get a murse and carry a quality tenkeyless around everywhere. Be real elitist about it too.

Exactly, every time you use a different keyboard you'll say yuk.
SOO question stands, stay in the same frame as the parents 20 year old never sharpened knives. or go to the dark side.

Get a murse and carry a quality tenkeyless around everywhere. Be real elitist about it too.
Get a expensive one then dont forget to tell people how much it costs, wait for the shock, explain how you got it for way cheaper, and that it was a deal.

HAHAHA "be real elitist about it too" ... made my day.

Exactly, every time you use a different keyboard you'll say yuk.

HAHAHA "be real elitist about it too" ... made my day.

I sense the dark side of the force pulling me.....I don't want to re live those 20yr old Wusties every time I go to work.

Hahaha the bit about being elitist is so spot on....gotta take ownership of one's snobism! Or else what's the point of keeping the price tags on stuff ?

But honestly thank you everyone as this thread and the resulting Google searches has me inspired to make my work station less of an infernal unproductive mess (hardware aside..just imagine using a french keyboard when your brain functions in English)

I had one of the Dell mechanical keyboards mapped for a Bloomberg terminal for a while. Bloomberg sent out new keyboards so I don't have a choice now. A little bit of me died that day.

But honestly thank you everyone as this thread and the resulting Google searches has me inspired to make my work station less of an infernal unproductive mess (hardware aside..just imagine using a french keyboard when your brain functions in English)

French keyboards were the bane of my existence when I was on exchange in Paris. What a stupid keyboard layout that is. Had to take a purchasing management exam on such a keyboard and my typing speed was reduced to half.

Should have brought my black switch keyboard and scoffed at the exam supervisors while wearing a turtleneck under a blazer.

Happy to see I'm not the only one who hates those things...I can't even find the stupid @ symbol so I memorized almost 3 dozen keyboard shortcut keys for assorted french accents and regularly used symbols and whatnot
Just thinking about it makes my blood boil.

My mechanical keyboard is way too loud for work, unfortunately.

I am literally hearing about this stuff for the first time, did not even know it existed. I would like to ask - how loud are these in actual use compared to standard keyboards. I am intrigued. I might be interested to get one for work and stop using the laptop keyboard all the time.
A mechanical keyboard being the sum of its parts, the sound is largely dependent on the components and the build quality. Sadly, most production keyboards are not very good is this regard, especially with the keyboards sold these days, as appealing to the gamer crowd takes priority over quality.

If we are talking about Cherry MX switches, there is one brand I would highly recommend — Leopold (Korea). When it comes to production boards, their attention to detail is second to none (quality of components and electronics, tuned stabilizers, sound dampening mat, double-shot thick 1.5mm PBT on PBT keycaps) which provides an excellent out of the box typing experience (sound and feel). They have started offering their keyboards with Cherry MX Silent switches.

If you wish to learn more, you can visit Geekhack and Deskthority; they are to keyboards what KitchenKnifeForums is to knives. Deskthority also has a very informative Wiki. Careful though, as it is a hobby than can become one hell of a rabbit hole, especially once you get into custom keyboards...

This is the thread I have been looking for. I purchased a few new Trackball Mice for home & office. All the while browsing around for mechanical keyboards, yet I was not sure as which to try. I feel I have been put in the right direction.

In term of mouse, for me nothing comapre to a vertical mouse. I started with those because I am left-handed and they provided right-handed asymetrical mouse at work. So I bought my self a lefty vertical mouse. There is no way back. It is so so more natural hand position.

Have you tried installing sound dampening o-rings? There are demos on youtube of the effects.
O-Rings drastically change the travel and feel of the keyboard while only moderately dampening the sound as they only effect the down stroke. GMK's QMX-Clips are far and by large more efficient for sound reduction because they dampen both the down and up stroke while only marginally affecting the feel and travel of the keys.

I've never used either, so what do I know.

Point is, there are ways to dampen the sound if you still want to use one for work.

All I know is that i have never enjoyed typing now. And now im excited to get into work to type. and im sad to leave because it means no more typing.
I dont understand how the O-rings make it more quiet. The click happens with the spring. and the bottoming out happens inside the switch. How does the O-Ring help dampen the sound.

I was searching around a little. Kailh now has micro switches. The PG1232 with half the travel distance. Similar to the Cherry ML keys.
I want low profile switches now. thats the one thing i find annoying is the 4mm of travel distance on this keyboard. Somewhat use to my mid-height keys on my old dell keyboard ( or slim, on my laptops / mac)

All I know is that i have never enjoyed typing now. And now im excited to get into work to type. and im sad to leave because it means no more typing.
I dont understand how the O-rings make it more quiet. The click happens with the spring. and the bottoming out happens inside the switch. How does the O-Ring help dampen the sound.

I was searching around a little. Kailh now has micro switches. The PG1232 with half the travel distance. Similar to the Cherry ML keys.
I want low profile switches now. thats the one thing i find annoying is the 4mm of travel distance on this keyboard. Somewhat use to my mid-height keys on my old dell keyboard ( or slim, on my laptops / mac)
O-Rings or any other silencing method will not silence clicky switches; which makes no sense to silence anyway since the the purpose of those is to have an audio feedback.

The issue with the Kailh Choc switches is that they have a proprietary stem and more or less nobody makes keycaps for them. The few that are available are low quality painted ABS caps in a uniform profile. Cherry has unveiled at CES 2018 their Cherry MX LP switches which work within the MX ecosystem. Cooler Master, Datacomp, Ducky and Vortex have already announced upcoming keyboards that will use these switches. More will follow soon. The Cherry MX LP will have more chances of being adopted by the mainstream than the Kailh Chocs.

Pardon the necro, but this thread needs moar pics...

hinode150 petty.JPG

Back