Meglio Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone! Have any of you folks tried any of the meglio companies knives? They look very appealing due to their magnacut steel. Let me know!! Thanks and God Bless!

-Ethan Dan
From the choil shots I've seen, magnacut is the only appealing thing about those knives. The grind looks flat and the choil looks like the Washington monument, thick like a nail.

I haven't used one, but I've seen a few up close and have to agree with @myguidingmoonlight, they look like knives with a simple flat grind that's probably done on a jig and are pretty thick behind the edge. Also, the examples I handled had zero distal taper with fat spines making me think they are profiled bar stock, or laser/waterjet cut profiles that are heat treated and ground. I can't be certain of this, just a hunch looking at the finished product. There's nothing wrong with stock removal knives imo, but there are people who make knives much more to my liking in this manner. Feels like they are geared to those used to Kitchenaid knives who want a step up.

Haven't used/seen one in person, but here are some choil shots from online. Both are Meglio Magnacut 8" gyutos.
18825A3A-5526-4217-BBB4-C343735BE7AB.jpeg
62359628-FC58-41DB-92C5-7A3321518D22.jpeg

I’ve got one. Picked it up on a whim to see what magnacut was all about.

The one I have is a bit thinner than the choil shots earlier in the thread. But it’s safe to say it’s got a conservative edge on it. Flat grind, sharpened 80/20 or thereabouts. Spine chamfered and measures 3mm at the handle. The handle is nicely finished with accurate facets.

First impressions are that it reminds me of a spiffy version of a Dexter of Mercer. I wouldn’t be surprised if the profile was influenced by one of those. I’ll probably put this on BST soon, mostly because I’m not gelling with the profile (tip is a bit high for my taste).

I’ve got one. Picked it up on a whim to see what magnacut was all about.

The one I have is a bit thinner than the choil shots earlier in the thread. But it’s safe to say it’s got a conservative edge on it. Flat grind, sharpened 80/20 or thereabouts. Spine chamfered and measures 3mm at the handle. The handle is nicely finished with accurate facets.

First impressions are that it reminds me of a spiffy version of a Dexter of Mercer. I wouldn’t be surprised if the profile was influenced by one of those. I’ll probably put this on BST soon, mostly because I’m not gelling with the profile (tip is a bit high for my taste).
Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I’ve never bought a handmade or high end knife hoping I would compare it to dexter. His grinds seem very low level. Don’t get me wrong, having a beater dexter around is nice, they are good for cheap knives.

Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I’ve never bought a handmade or high end knife hoping I would compare it to dexter. His grinds seem very low level. Don’t get me wrong, having a beater dexter around is nice, they are good for cheap knives.
Yep - same reason I still keep my $30 tojiro from years ago that has nearly the same grind. But for the price point, I'd want a better grind, regardless of the steel.

There's really not much grind to speak of. It's just a flat grind.
My impression is they were shooting for making a practical knife that was easy to manufacture (except for the handle, which is surprisingly detailed). It reminds me of a fancy version of a beater bulk prep knife. Not in a bad way--but it has few of the references that most of us expect from the knives we like. I'd class it more as "utilitarian" than "performance".

Last edited:
My impression is they were shooting for making a practical knife that was easy to manufacture (except for the handle, which is surprisinglydetailed). It reminds me of a fancy version of a beater bulk prep knife.
This hits the nail right on the head. On his Instagram, he often shows the extent of his production, which is significantly larger than most of the makers discussed here.

Back