[Meta-question] Questionnaire

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lentebriesje

Reaction score
Hi KKFers,

I was reading the questionnaire for knife suggestions. And it's not clear to me what the impact on the suggestions would be based on the answer of some questions. So to satisfy my curiosity and expand my knowledge I thought i'd just ask.

Grip types
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
(Hammer Grip, Pinch Grip & Finger Point)

Are certain knife types more suitable for certain grips? Which grip/knife combinations work best?

Cutting Motions
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
(Push-Cut, Rock, Slice, Draw, Chop, Walk)

The same question in essence. What cutting motion/knife combinations work best?

I know it's asking a lot since there are so many different knife types and so many different grips/motions. So if you were all to order them it would be a never ending list, but the broad strokes with the reasoning behind it would be enough.

Thanks!

For cutting motions, the profile of the knife or shape of it determines what may work the best. If you want to rock chop then something with some belly or roundness in the profile of the knife allows for an easier rocking motion. And then with the more traditional Japanese style of chopping and push cutting a knife with a flatter profile is usually superior.

As for grip style I cannot completely say but I feel your grip style may somewhat have to do with which length is best for you. ie a pinch or finger point grip can usually handle a slightly longer knife as you are gripping the blade.

There are some knife types which are not suitable for certain grips and the grip employed can also be indicative of the way the knife will be used. Someone who primarily employs a hammer grip may be better suited with a more 'ergonomic' western handled knife than with a wa handled knife.

Some profiles work much better with a certain type of grip. The knife used in video below works well when used with a finger point grip, but would not work so efficiently if used with a pinch grip.

[video=youtube;RjWkO9A-Ckk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjWkO9A-Ckk[/video]

I know that these are quite vague answers, but it can be useful information in certain circumstances and when enquiring about certain knives. Someone wanting an usuba who was intending to use a hammer grip may for instance receive some valuable information on either a more suitable knife to buy or advice on the technical adjustments which the knife would necessitate.

The cutting motions would have a very direct link to the profile which would be best suited. A German profile for instance would be ideal for someone who likes to rock or walk the knife but would potentially be unsuitable for someone who prefers to push-cut and chop. The opposite would be true of a French profile.

That's some valuable input guys!

I'd like to get to a more specific matching of knife types and grips/cutting motions though.

For example, where do chestnut shaped handles land on the grip scale? I don't have any chestnut shaped handle knives myself otherwise i could try some grips out.
And to be quite honest, i don't really "get" what knife styles the fingerpoint grip would be associated.

Maybe it would be beneficial to have some example images to look at for knives the fingerpoint style would be usefull. So if someone could share some links i think that would be very helpful aswell!

Chestnut shaped?

Do you mean "Burned Chestnut" handles that are typically used on mid to upper end Wa handled knives? I like burned chestnut but if you wanted one on a knife AND your spending limit was $100 bucks, I would (nicely) say you're SOL.

Re: the grip question. I'm not sure about it either. The grip is task based, I use a pinch grip for most work and so less belly is good. I'll usually use a finger point when portioning slices of meat or fish or when I need precise tip control. I'll use a hammer grip when using a cimitar to cut big things into smaller things.

The answer to the grip question tells me more about the poster's experience with knives than what type of knife will suit him. Others may find more to it than that.

Chestnut shaped?

Do you mean "Burned Chestnut" handles that are typically used on mid to upper end Wa handled knives?

I'm not sure if the "chestnut shaped" is official terminology, but they look like chestnut at the ends. I thought "Wa" handles are all octagram shaped?

Chestnut shape:
pHTIOtf.png

Wa (Japanese) handles typically come in an octagonal shape or a D shape (often better for right handers). Some makers create something called a modified D. Then there are all the different types of wood...

That is typically referred to as a D shaped handle. Wa can either be D, octagon, round, or other shapes it just denotes the style of handle.

Chestnut shape:
pHTIOtf.png

That's a "D" shaped handle for a right handed user. The D will fit comfortably into the hand. "D" shapes are also available for lefties. There is a thread on here (somewhere) about handle shapes. A quick search should find it.

Back