Metal Master a good website to order from?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sac36555

Reaction score
Hey guys-

I came across Metalmaster website and saw they had some Tanaka knives really cheap. Almost to cheap to be real. Are they a legitimate website? Are they selling authentic products?

Absolutely legit. Peoples grip is slow shipping & lack of response. His Tanaka's are very rough finish the spines & choils need rounding. The handles are mostly D ho wood with horn collars.

I have ordered quite a few Tanaka G3 and VG10 Nashiji 240mm gyuto's from him resell to cooks & culinary students. Best VG10 I have used excellent HT & hrt62.

The wait can be 3 weeks. Last Tanaka I ordered from him was a 240mm full carbon blade 125.00. Had the D handle did a refinish job on it. Nice hunk of carbon steel that gets razor sharp & falls thu food. Only took a week from Japan to Hawaii. 5.00 shipping.

If you want a cheap quality blade hard to beat MM Tanaka's. Just have to do some touchups excellent blades for the price.

Absolutely legit. Peoples grip is slow shipping & lack of response. His Tanaka's are very rough finish the spines & choils need rounding. The handles are mostly D ho wood with horn collars.

The wait can be 3 weeks. Last Tanaka I ordered from him was a 240mm full carbon blade 125.00. Had the D handle did a refinish job on it. Nice hunk of carbon steel that gets razor sharp & falls thu food. Only took a week from Japan to Hawaii. 5.00 shipping.

If you want a cheap quality blade hard to beat MM Tanaka's. Just have to do some touchups excellent blades for the price.

+1

As stated, must be patient.

Just went to the site. The Nashiji VG10 are now listed with plastic bolsters. The picture ho wood looks flush to bolster. I ordered a 240mm because I have handles knocked off other knives with real horn can put on the Tanaka.

You can see how many knives he has of each. Noticed the Tanaka carbon kurouchi still has the horn bolster. Most of these knives will sell out fast.

Thanks @sac36555 for posting the question. Saved me from reviving an old thread. Worth reading if you want some insights into Metal Master: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...00-Atoma-Experience-Ordering-from-Metalmaster
Basically, all above is spot on - basic Tanakas, stones, slow or no communication, slow delivery but all at a good price. I actually pulled out from a sale once thinking it was taking too long. Got a PayPal refund same day - didn't realise that PayPal now allows 180 days to lodge a claim. Shopped again recently for a synthetic stone - came in two weeks at a very good price.

Thanks @sac36555 for posting the question. Saved me from reviving an old thread. Worth reading if you want some insights into Metal Master: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...00-Atoma-Experience-Ordering-from-Metalmaster
Basically, all above is spot on - basic Tanakas, stones, slow or no communication, slow delivery but all at a good price. I actually pulled out from a sale once thinking it was taking too long. Got a PayPal refund same day - didn't realise that PayPal now allows 180 days to lodge a claim. Shopped again recently for a synthetic stone - came in two weeks at a very good price.

Marek07, great article for a read. I was amazed when I saw the Tanaka’s so cheap I thought they might be fake. I don’t mind doing a sanding if needed for those prices!

To add some even more recent data to this thread.... Ordered a 140 Atoma plate & a Shapton Pro 320 stone from MM through his eBay store on Friday March 16th at night EST. No update yet but will post back when I get a shipping (EMS) notification.

Wish me luck although I'm pretty patient.

To add some even more recent data to this thread.... Ordered a 140 Atoma plate & a Shapton Pro 320 stone from MM through his eBay store on Friday March 16th at night EST. No update yet but will post back when I get a shipping (EMS) notification.

Wish me luck although I'm pretty patient.

No need for luck...just be patient...actually wasn't aware that mm even had an ebay site...I've probably ordered from him at least 10 times and only lesson is communication sucks but you'll get your stuff and the price is always very nice.

Remember the Ginsan Nashiji rough pear finish D handles with horn. Excellent blades for the price. First went to VG-10 because it's cheaper. His VG-10 is best I have used so no big deal. The plastic bolsters now can't stand those. Rehandled both a 240mm & 210mm bought this year. A 210mm Nashiji is 95.00 & the 240mm is 120.00. Many Japanese blades have been going up in price. Sent him a message saying he could raise prices some on the Nashiji blades & put the horn back instead of the plastic.

Since James only carries Ginsan Nashiji now with nice octagon handle the lite is not a bad deal.

Order and paid for one stone.

I never received any info on shipping, neither any feedback on my inquires. Luckily I paid with PayPal and was refunded.

Never again!

Order and paid for one stone.

I never received any info on shipping, neither any feedback on my inquires. Luckily I paid with PayPal and was refunded.

Never again!

He doesn't do either...but will ship your product if you're patient...

I started the refund procedure after four weeks, and got my money almost immediately back. Metalmaster didn't oppose, as he hadn't sent it at that moment.

I have faith that my items will eventually make an appearance. Will keep you all updated.

Tempting to ask you every single day for an update... ;)

I've ordered lots of stuff from him. The longest wait for me was right at 6 weeks but I always get my stuff.

I’ve ordered a stone from him and it took 6 or 7 weeks to get to the UK. I had pretty much given up on it, but it did turn up. Shite stone it was too - felt like it was picked up off a building site.

Ive had an order come 4-6 weeks with no communication, ive also waited on another order for about 4 weeks until he finally messaged me that the item was out of stock and sent a refund

We get spoiled in this instant computer feedback age. I waited 3 months for a replacement glass pot for my pour over coffee maker. They sent the charcoal filters in 3 weeks told me were out of stock for the pot & another outlet was shipping it. I had to get after them to eventually get it.

I don't think Takeshi Kuroda puts much importance to English e-mails. Probably has someone translate when he does. He must be getting a lot, bought last 210mm on his site. He sent me a conformation e-mail when I ordered apologizing if shipping takes to long, got it in less than 2 weeks.

Janice ordered a North Face Gore-Tex Rain Shell she can use here in Hawaii and layer under it in colder climates. We went to the North Face store at Ala Moana. Didn't have the color she wanted, no problem, they pay the shipping & came to our house 3 days later. The shipping was not cheap. Mall type stores are under siege. Just look at how many made huge store closings in 2017 or completely went belly up. Now Hawaii charges state sales tax to all Amazon items.

He has very good prices on certain things, like aboynamedsuita wrote in the thread Marek referenced, the price of Atoma plates at MM vs their prices in Canadian stores is well worth the wait IMO

He has very good prices on certain things, like aboynamedsuita wrote in the thread Marek referenced, the price of Atoma plates at MM vs their prices in Canadian stores is well worth the wait IMO
Not to mention ordering from japan actually saves us 12-15% due to taxes vs. domestic purchase. Just got an Atoma from him 3.5 weeks after ordering and a Tanaka KU on the way

After my misadventure with Metalmaster I went with toolsfromjapan.com
Stuart Tierney is a very serious guy.

Stu is excellent but in all honesty he can be every bit as slow as MM. He usually does post a note on his homepage when he is behind his usual.

Multiple purchases from Takeshi. Flaky on responses but he's super busy and a one man show. I like the guy. Good stuff!

Back