Michael's Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Kato family portrait + a visitor =)

240mm Workhorse Kato Gyuto (on loan from YG420) - 269gram, 53mm heel
240mm Kato Gyuto - 234grams, 49.5mm heel
240mm Kato Gyuto - 223grams, 51mm heel
210mm Kato Gyuto - 173grams, 47mm heel
190mm Kato Gyuto - 163grams, 45mm heel

12QDxYg.jpg

Has one of the 240 been thinned? I noticed the the taller one is lighter. Or is it just the handle is lighter?

Has one of the 240 been thinned? I noticed the the taller one is lighter. Or is it just the handle is lighter?

Brand new, a lot of that weight is in the handle. The marbled ferrule handle is definitely a bit bigger than the other handle.

I think it also has a slightly slower distal taper.

Apologies for the poor photos as my phone camera protective lens is cracked and there is dust all over the actual lens that I cannot clean off =(

These two beauties showed up this week - both of these knives are 10x more beautiful in person than pictures could capture!

Tristone Stainless Damascus SG2 - 230mm - the mirror polish on the blade and the crazy chatoyance in the saya wood go so well together!
Kato Damascus Santoku - 180mm - the damascus cladding on this looks super high contrast in pictures, but there is a subtle beauty to it in person.

Q6TqiG2.jpg

Tristone
1tBDKAt.jpg

wyH0X55.jpg

Kato
kqRxFUb.jpg

No9f7q1.jpg

Nice catches! Very beautiful knives.

What's the handle of the Tristone? What sort of grind? How well does it cut and release food?

I have a niolox Tristone on order. Looking forward to it even more now.

It is a slight convex on both sides. It food releases extremely well and is a top cutter.

The handle is honduran rosewood burl with phosphorized bronze!

I would say food release is one of the best I have and it ranks around a Kato for cutting smoothness.

Nice catches! Very beautiful knives.

What's the handle of the Tristone? What sort of grind? How well does it cut and release food?

I have a niolox Tristone on order. Looking forward to it even more now.

Still can't stop drooling over your's Mike. Makes me think I should have got a pair. Also trying to find a way to display the saya it is truly a work of art.

Hopefully I will get to catch up with Chadd at the Sydney knife show and let him know how sweet his blade is.

It is a slight convex on both sides. It food releases extremely well and is a top cutter.

The handle is honduran rosewood burl with phosphorized bronze!

I would say food release is one of the best I have and it ranks around a Kato for cutting smoothness.

Nice.

I had read that the food release - cutting prowess tradeoff was well executed in Chadd's knives.

Back