Micro-bevel Help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil_poopy22

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been working on doing what I can to increase the life of my edges, and I'm fairly certain the best route may be to start adding a micro-bevel. However I have some confusion about the best way to go about adding a micro, and how to tell if you've successfully added the bevel you wanted to. Finally, what does stropping look like after you have added a micro-bevel; do you strop as normal or would you do your stropping, and then add your micro-bevel and be done?

With a microbevel, you want to keep the thin overall geometry while you add an extra bevel to the very edge. You cut the extra bevel into the existing bevel with one single pass on a fine stone. It requires some precision, as you don't want it to be blended with the existing bevel.
When it widens, the primary bevel should be restored to reduce the microbevel's width.

What's the answer on whether to leather strop after microbevel is applied? Broida runs his microbeveled knife through a cork at the end to "remove the burr," but I am pretty sure he already removed it.

What's the answer on whether to leather strop after microbevel is applied? Broida runs his microbeveled knife through a cork at the end to "remove the burr," but I am pretty sure he already removed it.
What are you trying to accomplish with the leather strop?

Latest posts

Back