Microchips on Toyama

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombat

Reaction score
My new Toyama (blue 2, SS clad) has some microchipping after two uses. I have read that can happen on edges OOTB.

I'm going to sharpen and maybe put a microbevel on it, but where should I start in terms of stones? 3000, 6000, 8000? I want to remove as little metal as possible, but I think 8000 might be too high.

IMG_4063.JPG

Just to state the obvious - Toyama comes ground to zero with no sharpening done to it. The cutting edge is maybe sharp OTB, but is very fragile because the angle is so small. Just take it to a 1k -2k stone (start with 3k if you like, but it may be more work), clean it up and then finish on your stone of choice.

My Toyama did the same, I put a regular 15 degree edge bevel on it.

I don’t know what degree would Make a
micro bevel, what degree exactly defines a microbevel vs. regular edge bevel ?

It varies, but a lot of people sharpen around 15 degrees. Microbevel will be up around 30-40 degrees, usually on just one side.

I will add that I bought a new Watanabe (VERY similar knife) about 6 months ago. Same issue-microchipping after use. No issues after a regular sharpening. You may not even need a microbevel.
👍 I have a Watanabe pro nakiri, didn’t have a microchipping problem as far as I recall (I knew even less back then) but it did respond very well to a regular sharpening.

Wat Pro nakiri is an entirely different knife made by a different maker, so it well may come with a different edge finish.

No. If the knife is thin enough at the edge, you can create a micro-bevel under 15°. The thicker the edge is, the higher the angle needed to create a micro-bevel.
I must not be getting something, but the width of the bevel is directly affects by the angle of the said bevel.
My understanding is that if you do a micro bevel at 15degrees the affected area will be relatively wide and not much of a “micro”.

My new Toyama (blue 2, SS clad) has some microchipping after two uses. I have read that can happen on edges OOTB.

I'm going to sharpen and maybe put a microbevel on it, but where should I start in terms of stones? 3000, 6000, 8000? I want to remove as little metal as possible, but I think 8000 might be too high.

View attachment 96674

You got to use yours? Both mine arrived with micro chips!

I must not be getting something, but the width of the bevel is directly affects by the angle of the said bevel.
My understanding is that if you do a micro bevel at 15degrees the affected area will be relatively wide and not much of a “micro”.
I think M1K3's point is that bevel size (width) is dependent on both the bevel angle AND the thinness behind the edge.

So he's saying that if the knife is very thin behind the edge, even a 15 degree bevel could be a microbevel.

I sometimes do something like this on a wide bevel- thin to a zero grind then add a modest (15 to 20 degree-odd) microbevel for durability. Props to @Kippington for giving me the idea. I guess you can just see the bevel with the naked eye if you look carefully under a bright light, so maybe you could call it a mini-bevel?

This.

Watanabe has an insane ootb edge, but it’s extremely delicate and will chip easily.
I just put a normal edge I’d use for most gyutos on watanabe and it’s fine.

The width of the bevel depends on the width of metal at the edge. A 15° bevel on a super thin laser edge will be smaller than a bevel, at the same exact angle, on a thick butchers cleaver.

The thicker the edge, the higher angle needed to achieve a micro-bevel.

Back