Migoto White1 Nakagawa x Kawakita Gyuto Review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khashy

Reaction score
If you follow my 'Japanese Knives Collection' account on Instagram, you will have no doubt noticed that I have been using the beautiful White1 steel 240mm Gyuto, made by Nakagawa-san (of Shiraki Hamono fame) and sharpened by Kawakita Hamono for Migoto Cutlery for a while now and I think I have enough of a feel for it to write a review.

3789FAB6-4C61-4392-9FB2-A5BC5D363129.jpeg

2FF8FFA9-853C-4ACF-90B9-34C2BDBAAE4E.jpeg

3F4FB083-77C3-4F94-A2CB-836C0114F909.jpeg

Full disclosure before I begin: I have known the owner of Migoto Cutlery for years and we talk knives and stones and everything related almost on a daily basis - He is one of the most knowledgeable people about all things knife and stone related and in addition to be one of the nicest people I know, he is also an insanely talented polisher who shares the entire wealth of his knowledge with everyone.
This review however is entirely objective other than the parts that relate to my personal taste; Migoto have not asked me to write it and they have had no input into it - I think after all these years of my forum activity, my Instagram content and the privilege I have had to write the very first reviews of a good number of knives, we can all agree that this is an impartial review.

About the blacksmith and the sharpener:

This blade is made by Satoshi Nakagawa of Shiraki Hamono fame. I think the majority of Japanese kitchen knife aficionados have heard of Nakagawa-san. He was trained by the legendary Kenichi Shiraki and would have been responsible for forging a significant amount of Shiraki Hamono baldes even when Shiraki-san himself was active. He has proven his skills in the incredible steel coming out of the workshop that is now rebranded under Nakagawa-san's own name (formerly Shiraki Hamono), both in clad and also in honyaki form. I don't think there is much more to be said of Nakagawa-san, his steel speaks for itself and it really is incredible.

The blade is sharpened by Kawakita Hamono. Now, for those of you in the know, you'll immediately realize the significance of that. Kawakita Hamono are master sharpeners and responsible for training some of the best sharpeners we have heard of. I think the most prominent example is Morihiro-san. Konosuke made a video interview with Morihiro-san (search for "Morihiro's World" on YouTube) where Morihiro-san kept referring to his master, Kawakita-san, in reverence and stating that he had wished to be as good as his master.
The reason Kawakita Hamono is not as well known to our community is because they choose to stay out of the spotlight as much as possible. There are reasons for this and this is not the place for those discussions, suffice to say that Kawakita do some of the most insane, unbelievable, complex and thin grinds. More on this later in the review.

The geometry and dimensions:

The profile of the blade is well thought out; it is a Sakai 240mm, which means the blade length itself is just under 230mm and sports a wonderfully usable flat spot for straight chopping. The heel height of the blade is 52mm with the spine just under 3mm above the heel. In typical Sakai fashion, the spine remains more or less at around the same width until it gets to the wonderfully thin tip at 0.7mm at around 10mm from the tip

The curve towards the tip is gentle and lends itself perfectly to push and pull cuts. I am not a fan of rocking blades on cutting board because it causes unnecessary wear on the cutting edge, but if that’s your game, this blade will rock just fine.

The tip is thin thin, thin, thin thin thin. Thin. It ghosts through onions with next to zero pressure. I can keep saying it, but it’s easier to show on video:

Migoto White1 vs Onion

have to excuse my lackluster cutting skills, I actually used to be a bit better but lack of practice in these lockdowns has obviously had its effect. Hopefully you can see how the tip glides effortlessly.

The way Kawakita have ground this blade is just so utterly good; Even though the grind is so immaculately thin behind the edge, it still has a lovely convexity to it. Then they take the grind an extra step further and incorporate a very slight hollow S ( cast your mind to a Shigefusa grind re-the hollow). Again, as thin as the grind behind the edge is, it is still possible to feel these nuances of the geometry - Kawakita magic and sorcery.

I cannot photograph the grind for the life of me, so we’ll have to make do with just a choil shot:

2CD10DC9-C255-464C-AD67-B37966502F8A.jpeg

You can see that the cutting edge just thins to a whisper, sexy, just sexy.

Aesthetics:

Well, I think the photographs speak for themselves - it is a very beautiful blade. The cladding is has a matte satin finish and the core steel is nice, shiny and bright. The scratch patterns on both the cladding and core are very fine and very uniform. The organic cladding line looks wonderful and as you would expect from a talented blacksmith like Nakagawa-san.

B49D3E6C-CF7F-464A-A6CF-B767088DBBF2.jpeg

The handle is octagonal and is made from Morado, aka Brazilian Ironwood, aka Bolivian Rosewood. It is beautifully figured and feels lovely to hold. I actually think this is a very clever choice of material for the handle - The wood looks like rosewood/ironwood but it is lighter, which results in the balance of the knife being absolutely perfect to a tee! I can balance the blade on my finger pretty much exactly at the location of the Migoto Cutlery stamp.

The spine and choil are polished and are nice and smooth. I can't call the spine rounded but it is definitely eased - i.e. the edges are not sharp at all and it is very comfortable to hold on to.

I also need to say a word about the box the knife came in - I think this is actually the nicest looking knife box (I am not counting wooden kiri boxes here) I have ever received a knife in - the wood grain pattern on the box has this wonderful texture to it. I don't know exactly how they've achieved this effect, but basically it's as if the box is made from un-lacquered wood veneer.

38581F99-53C6-480A-9D40-D55B7D784EB3.jpeg

Performance:

I have been using this blade exclusively since it arrived. I have used it on all the usual things we use in our every day cooking - Onions, Bell Peppers, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Herbs, Garlic, Fruit, Spring onions, Carrots, ... I have also used it for slicing boneless chicken and meat. I have to say that I could not find anything that the knife could not handle well.

This is all on the out of the box edge btw, which was hair splitting razor sharp (Migoto actually put an incredible edge on every knife before sending and an edge put on by the master polisher that is the owner of Migoto was a pleasure to experience).

The concept of wedging is an entirely alien thing as far as this knife is concerned. Go back to the choil shot above and remind yourself how thin behind the edge this thing really is. We do not tend to eat huge and fat carrots here, but I tried the blade on the largest one of the bunch and it still ghosted through. I have videos of these produce being cut, which I will be posting on my Instagram and I'll make sure to update this thread too.

Migoto White1 Cutting

And

Playing around

Potatoes were dealt with nicely. Again as you'll see in the videos to come, the subtle Shigefusa inspired 'S' in the grind results in the blade having very little to no sticktion. Similarly it deals with hard sweet potatoes with ease without needing any excessive pressure.

I think one of the reasons I am finding this knife such a pleasure to use is the balance of the blade which I touched on before. It is genuinely nothing short of having the perfect balance, which combined with the thinness behind the edge and the ridiculously sharp edge means that I actually have to exert very little pressure in cutting just about everything. I think you'll see what I mean in the videos, where the knife actually compensates for my silly and lackluster cutting skills.

I also have to stress on just how good the tip of the blade is. It is whisper thin and glides through onions on vertical slices. Tip draws on cucumbers, peppers etc are effortless, just lovely.

Attachments

• 997B6E79-BE6B-4E20-AC9F-7A1299051668.jpeg
    997B6E79-BE6B-4E20-AC9F-7A1299051668.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Reactivity:

All I can say is that it took a surprisngly long time for the knife to actually take on patina, let alone react to anything! I think this is down to two things: Firstly I wipe the blade with a soft damp-ish cloth very frequently during use, secondly and much more importantly, the very smooth finish of the cladding helps minimize reactivity. I am sure the actual material used for the cladding also has something to do with the corrosion resistance of the blade too.

Edge retention:

Well this is one area I cannot really comment about. A few different reasons: I am a home cook and therefore do not have a huge amount of things to cut. Also I use and Aomori Hiba cutting board which is pretty much the softest wood one can get a cutting board made from (and it smells nice). Lastly, I have gotten into the habit of stropping the blade on leather frequently, which basically means my edges last for a very long time.

Sharpening on stones:

Per above, I have not needed to sharpen the blade at all. However I will put it on stones at some point. Suffice to say that I have no doubt Nakagawa-san's white1 steel will be fantastically responsive on stones. More videos and feedback to come here as I get around to putting it to work on stones.

Extras:

Migoto provide a container of Uchigumori powder with all of their own branded blades (the small galss container in the photo):

View attachment 126067

I think this is an extremely welcomed little gift to the user because not only can you use it to remove patina with it (I know a lot of people like patina; I certainly do but there comes a point where it just gets ugly rather that giving the blade character), but it allows the wonderful satin finish of the cladding to be maintained while doing so. Here is a video of the uchi powder in action of Otto's white1 Migoto gyuto:

Using Uchigumori Powder

Lastly, the service, communication and advice from Migoto is absolutely top notch. Postage is very quick, packaging is done very carefully to ensure the knife arrives safely and DHL express took less than three days to deliver the knife half way across the world.

Conclusion:

I really do think this blade stands up to the very best cutters out there. For me, the fact that I finally managed to find another Kawakita sharpened knife is a big deal (I have actually had threads on the forum previously asking if people know where to find Kawakita-san's blades) and I am very happy to report that the blade is everything I imagined it to be. Also good White1 steel is something that every kitchen knife enthusiast should experience!

As mentioned, I will keep this thread updated with more videos of the knife in action.

A lot of good stuff on the Migoto website, just recently discovered too from YouTube ad. I also see some Y. Tanaka forged Knives. I be all over them if there’s stainless clad( white 1, blue 1/2) versions.

Last edited:
Nice writeup. Whats the taper like? Continuous from choil to tip? Width at the handle? Any flex in the tip given its so fine?

Been looking at Migoto’s blades for a little while. Fair to say that they’re very tempting. My notepad is now entirely full of ‘I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE CARBON 240s’ lines anyhow.

I’m (almost) firm in my wavering resolution on that one - this review and Kawakita refs don’t help for sure - but I could almost make a justification* that I could do with yet another stainless number, And that Migoto Ginsan looks pretty darn nice to be fair. Hmm..

Nakagawa seems a reasonable bet for the ginsan smith, but the grind looks different. Be interested in hearing more if anyone knows any further details on the sharpener or experience with the MIgoto ginsan.

*one only reasonable to me admittedly

I have the Migoto KU blue #2 atm and I really love it. The grind is perfection for me (WH grind, but still pretty thin behind the edge and has a very functional tip) and the ht is top notch. It easily slices through paper towels off the stones and ghosts everything. I actually have the wh #1 that was reviewed arriving today so I am excited to try it out.

I would be all over this too, the only thing stopping me right now is the $50 shipping to the US…

I would be all over this too, the only thing stopping me right now is the $50 shipping to the US…

I thought about that before I ordered the w1. But decided that $50 ain't very much in the grand scheme for a knife I wanted. Knife arrived 3 days early via DHL. I'm not a fan of EMS, and avoid it if given the option.

Been looking at Migoto’s blades for a little while. Fair to say that they’re very tempting. My notepad is now entirely full of ‘I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE CARBON 240s’ lines anyhow.

I’m (almost) firm in my wavering resolution on that one - this review and Kawakita refs don’t help for sure - but I could almost make a justification* that I could do with yet another stainless number, And that Migoto Ginsan looks pretty darn nice to be fair. Hmm..

Nakagawa seems a reasonable bet for the ginsan smith, but the grind looks different. Be interested in hearing more if anyone knows any further details on the sharpener or experience with the MIgoto ginsan.

*one only reasonable to me admittedly

For what it’s worth, do some research on Nakagawa’s Ginsan. I think you’ll find that it’s the very best Ginsan in Sakai, possibly with the exception of Yamatsuka’s Ginsan.

Nice writeup. Whats the taper like? Continuous from choil to tip? Width at the handle? Any flex in the tip given its so fine?

Per mentioned in the review, the spine is about 3mm and as is mostly the case in Sakai, it stays more or less the same up to the laser beam that is the tip

For what it’s worth, do some research on Nakagawa’s Ginsan. I think you’ll find that it’s the very best Ginsan in Sakai, possibly with the exception of Yamatsuka’s Ginsan.

No doubts about that, more wondering how the grind varies from other Nakagawa gyutos currently available. I’ve had a Oul Sakai ginsan (also Nakagawa) on order for some time and now pondering the following options: A) Stay Patient, B) Bail and get this one instead and C)Buy both, all, everything

Thanks for the nice review - now I want to try one, too, as I've never had a knife ground by Kawakita.

No doubts about that, more wondering how the grind varies from other Nakagawa gyutos currently available. I’ve had a Oul Sakai ginsan (also Nakagawa) on order for some time and now pondering the following options: A) Stay Patient, B) Bail and get this one instead and C)Buy both, all, everything
The OUL Ginsan are forged by Yamatsuka and ground by Maruyama. As the sharpener, Maruyama, was still considered a novice, the prices were very reasonable, but they increased (almost doubled) a few months ago to standard prices. If you paid the old price, I would strongly advice you to stay patient (or to buy both and write a review!! :D ). Superb performers that feel great in the hands and on the stones as well, easily one of my favourite knives overall. As far as I know, the OUL brand is discontinued and the knives sharpened by Maruyama will appear under the new brand name "Hado" (刃道 = way of the blade).

If you follow my 'Japanese Knives Collection' account on Instagram, you will have no doubt noticed that I have been using the beautiful White1 steel 240mm Gyuto, made by Nakagawa-san (of Shiraki Hamono fame) and sharpened by Kawakita Hamono for Migoto Cutlery for a while now and I think I have enough of a feel for it to write a review.

View attachment 126060
View attachment 126061
View attachment 126062

Full disclosure before I begin: I have known the owner of Migoto Cutlery for years and we talk knives and stones and everything related almost on a daily basis - He is one of the most knowledgeable people about all things knife and stone related and in addition to be one of the nicest people I know, he is also an insanely talented polisher who shares the entire wealth of his knowledge with everyone.
This review however is entirely objective other than the parts that relate to my personal taste; Migoto have not asked me to write it and they have had no input into it - I think after all these years of my forum activity, my Instagram content and the privilege I have had to write the very first reviews of a good number of knives, we can all agree that this is an impartial review.

About the blacksmith and the sharpener:

This blade is made by Satoshi Nakagawa of Shiraki Hamono fame. I think the majority of Japanese kitchen knife aficionados have heard of Nakagawa-san. He was trained by the legendary Kenichi Shiraki and would have been responsible for forging a significant amount of Shiraki Hamono baldes even when Shiraki-san himself was active. He has proven his skills in the incredible steel coming out of the workshop that is now rebranded under Nakagawa-san's own name (formerly Shiraki Hamono), both in clad and also in honyaki form. I don't think there is much more to be said of Nakagawa-san, his steel speaks for itself and it really is incredible.

The blade is sharpened by Kawakita Hamono. Now, for those of you in the know, you'll immediately realize the significance of that. Kawakita Hamono are master sharpeners and responsible for training some of the best sharpeners we have heard of. I think the most prominent example is Morihiro-san. Konosuke made a video interview with Morihiro-san (search for "Morihiro's World" on YouTube) where Morihiro-san kept referring to his master, Kawakita-san, in reverence and stating that he had wished to be as good as his master.
The reason Kawakita Hamono is not as well known to our community is because they choose to stay out of the spotlight as much as possible. There are reasons for this and this is not the place for those discussions, suffice to say that Kawakita do some of the most insane, unbelievable, complex and thin grinds. More on this later in the review.

The geometry and dimensions:

The profile of the blade is well thought out; it is a Sakai 240mm, which means the blade length itself is just under 230mm and sports a wonderfully usable flat spot for straight chopping. The heel height of the blade is 52mm with the spine just under 3mm above the heel. In typical Sakai fashion, the spine remains more or less at around the same width until it gets to the wonderfully thin tip at 0.7mm at around 10mm from the tip

The curve towards the tip is gentle and lends itself perfectly to push and pull cuts. I am not a fan of rocking blades on cutting board because it causes unnecessary wear on the cutting edge, but if that’s your game, this blade will rock just fine.

The tip is thin thin, thin, thin thin thin. Thin. It ghosts through onions with next to zero pressure. I can keep saying it, but it’s easier to show on video:

Migoto White1 vs Onion

have to excuse my lackluster cutting skills, I actually used to be a bit better but lack of practice in these lockdowns has obviously had its effect. Hopefully you can see how the tip glides effortlessly.

The way Kawakita have ground this blade is just so utterly good; Even though the grind is so immaculately thin behind the edge, it still has a lovely convexity to it. Then they take the grind an extra step further and incorporate a very slight hollow S ( cast your mind to a Shigefusa grind re-the hollow). Again, as thin as the grind behind the edge is, it is still possible to feel these nuances of the geometry - Kawakita magic and sorcery.

I cannot photograph the grind for the life of me, so we’ll have to make do with just a choil shot:

View attachment 126063

You can see that the cutting edge just thins to a whisper, sexy, just sexy.

Aesthetics:

Well, I think the photographs speak for themselves - it is a very beautiful blade. The cladding is has a matte satin finish and the core steel is nice, shiny and bright. The scratch patterns on both the cladding and core are very fine and very uniform. The organic cladding line looks wonderful and as you would expect from a talented blacksmith like Nakagawa-san.

View attachment 126064

The handle is octagonal and is made from Morado, aka Brazilian Ironwood, aka Bolivian Rosewood. It is beautifully figured and feels lovely to hold. I actually think this is a very clever choice of material for the handle - The wood looks like rosewood/ironwood but it is lighter, which results in the balance of the knife being absolutely perfect to a tee! I can balance the blade on my finger pretty much exactly at the location of the Migoto Cutlery stamp.

The spine and choil are polished and are nice and smooth. I can't call the spine rounded but it is definitely eased - i.e. the edges are not sharp at all and it is very comfortable to hold on to.

I also need to say a word about the box the knife came in - I think this is actually the nicest looking knife box (I am not counting wooden kiri boxes here) I have ever received a knife in - the wood grain pattern on the box has this wonderful texture to it. I don't know exactly how they've achieved this effect, but basically it's as if the box is made from un-lacquered wood veneer.

View attachment 126065

Performance:

I have been using this blade exclusively since it arrived. I have used it on all the usual things we use in our every day cooking - Onions, Bell Peppers, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Herbs, Garlic, Fruit, Spring onions, Carrots, ... I have also used it for slicing boneless chicken and meat. I have to say that I could not find anything that the knife could not handle well.

This is all on the out of the box edge btw, which was hair splitting razor sharp (Migoto actually put an incredible edge on every knife before sending and an edge put on by the master polisher that is the owner of Migoto was a pleasure to experience).

The concept of wedging is an entirely alien thing as far as this knife is concerned. Go back to the choil shot above and remind yourself how thin behind the edge this thing really is. We do not tend to eat huge and fat carrots here, but I tried the blade on the largest one of the bunch and it still ghosted through. I have videos of these produce being cut, which I will be posting on my Instagram and I'll make sure to update this thread too.

Migoto White1 Cutting

And

Playing around

Potatoes were dealt with nicely. Again as you'll see in the videos to come, the subtle Shigefusa inspired 'S' in the grind results in the blade having very little to no sticktion. Similarly it deals with hard sweet potatoes with ease without needing any excessive pressure.

I think one of the reasons I am finding this knife such a pleasure to use is the balance of the blade which I touched on before. It is genuinely nothing short of having the perfect balance, which combined with the thinness behind the edge and the ridiculously sharp edge means that I actually have to exert very little pressure in cutting just about everything. I think you'll see what I mean in the videos, where the knife actually compensates for my silly and lackluster cutting skills.

I also have to stress on just how good the tip of the blade is. It is whisper thin and glides through onions on vertical slices. Tip draws on cucumbers, peppers etc are effortless, just lovely.

I went to migotocutlery and their gyuto in white is by nakagawa San but their blue 1 Gyuto is by Y Tanaka - another great.

Both are tempting, which one would you suggest?

Thanks for the nice review - now I want to try one, too, as I've never had a knife ground by Kawakita.

The OUL Ginsan are forged by Yamatsuka and ground by Maruyama. As the sharpener, Maruyama, was still considered a novice, the prices were very reasonable, but they increased (almost doubled) a few months ago to standard prices. If you paid the old price, I would strongly advice you to stay patient (or to buy both and write a review!! :D ). Superb performers that feel great in the hands and on the stones as well, easily one of my favourite knives overall. As far as I know, the OUL brand is discontinued and the knives sharpened by Maruyama will appear under the new brand name "Hado" (刃道 = way of the blade).

Cheers for the helpful clarification. Slightly annoyed that I got those two confused tbh - I’ve clearly spent so much time trying to persuade a retailer over here into stocking a Ginsan 240 from either of them that they’ve merged into one in my fuddled mind.

I think it may be some positive feedback from you on here that led me to add the Oul as a leading candidate, Frustratingly 210s have been available, but I’ve been badgering the nice man (James) into ordering a 240 for quite some time now and he was hoping to add to his next (imminent) Oul order

No money has been deposited and I suspect that given your info, the 240 will no longer be available or will be heavily increased In price, Now tempted to buying the 210 as insurance just in case. Which will of course inevitably end up provoking the aforementioned option c, only this time I‘ll probably end up with two Oul blades along with the Migoto.

🤨

A little disappointed to hear about Oul. They had some nice ranges, the Ginsan and stainless-clad tanakas alone should have bought them more time

Cheers for the helpful clarification. Slightly annoyed that I got those two confused tbh - I’ve clearly spent so much time trying to persuade a retailer over here into stocking a Ginsan 240 from either of them that they’ve merged into one in my fuddled mind.

I think it may be some positive feedback from you on here that led me to add the Oul as a leading candidate, Frustratingly 210s have been available, but I’ve been badgering the nice man (James) into ordering a 240 for quite some time now and he was hoping to add to his next (imminent) Oul order

No money has been deposited and I suspect that given your info, the 240 will no longer be available or will be heavily increased In price, Now tempted to buying the 210 as insurance just in case. Which will of course inevitably end up provoking the aforementioned option c, only this time I‘ll probably end up with two Oul blades along with the Migoto.

🤨

A little disappointed to hear about Oul. They had some nice ranges, the Ginsan and stainless-clad tanakas alone should have bought them more time

Our talk is becoming a bit off topic here, so I'll answer in the topic related to OUL!

Anyway, really wanna try the Migoto but then again I really don't need it. Good for my wallet that it doesn't sell here.

I went to migotocutlery and their gyuto in white is by nakagawa San but their blue 1 Gyuto is by Y Tanaka - another great.

Both are tempting, which one would you suggest?

I have only tried the white1, so can’t help much I’m afraid.

I would say talk to the owner of Migoto, he’s extremely open and honest about everything, won’t push any product on you and can help better than anyone in choosing. I do know he wasn’t looking to replicate what is already out there and his choices of steel/smith/sharpener along with geometry and grind are very carefully thought out.

Completely unrelated to your question, but to make things even more interesting, here it the Blue2 in action:

Migoto Blue2 vs Potato

Well, your mind may be partially made up for you, because the Ginsan is now sold out.

We ‘snoozed’ and we ‘loozed’ unfortunately.

Back