• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Mirror Finish Sakai Kikumori Tanaka Super Blue 300mm Yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silky

Reaction score
I am selling a Sakai Kikumori super blue yanagiba made by Tanaka that I bought from Strataportland (Sakai Kikumori - Tanaka Limited Signed Series - Super Blue - 300mm Yanagiba - No Handle - Mirror Finish) about a year ago for $607, would like to sell it for $595 with free shipping within the USA. I originally bought this as a back-up yanagiba to my main user, but haven't ended up needing it. I had a burnt chestnut handle installed which I am including with the knife; the knife is otherwise BNIB. There are two areas of delamination on the back which I am told are a result of the low temps used during forging, but wanted to point these out to potential buyers (last picture below).

Details
Price: $595
Cutting Length: ~290mm
Overall Length: ~455mm
Height at Heel: ~35mm
Weight:~224g/7.9 oz
Picture1.png

Those black spots on the lamination line usually mean better steel to me, haha, and I try to purposely buy old knives that have that. . . Plus if you've ever seen a heat treated blank, the back delam line very much can have a huge gap still, before grinding gets to the well-laminated steel and iron.

Last edited:
@refcast That's my understanding as well (lower forge temp avoids overheating the steels but results in a higher chance of partial lamination), but I know it can bother some people so wanted to let buyers know :)

Price Drop to $525 to hopefully get it moving to someone who can use it.

Last price drop to $495 with free shipping CONUS. Will leave it up through the weekend and will withdraw and see if I can work it into my work kit if there is no interest.

Back