Misen (version 2) Review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Misen came out with a v2 of their knife and had a 25% sale. A friend was looking for a decent chef's knife so I offered to get it, play with it, and sell it to him for $40.

Spoiler alert: It's a pretty solid knife for $50 shipped. Without a sale, it starts getting into the "well why not just get a Tojiro DP Gyuto for a little more" territory but I'm evaluating it at $50.

Performance: At ~230g, it's in between a Wusthof (260) and a MAC Pro (190). The grind is a bit rough and never felt quite as smooth as a Wusthof even though there's no significant difference practically. Not unexpected because it's basically the same approximate basic angle. The Misen has a bit of a weird lift right at the heel that I don't love but otherwise the Misen and the Wusthof have approximately the same width flat spot. I ultimately prefer cutting with either the Wusthof or the MAC because the profile of the Misen seems kind of in between and doesn't engage any of existing muscle memory (and it's not such a great knife that I'd retrain to cut with it specifically). It's not bad, it's not great but solid for $50.

Sharpening: It's AUS-10 and so sharpens a little bit like VG-10. Not hard to get a burr going, at least not especially hard. So, OK. I eventually thinned it slightly and took it up to 6k synth to polish and back down to 1k microbevel for some bite. Much nicer than out of the box.

Fit and Finish: Pretty rough. This is where I'm mostly disappointed. The grind is rough towards the bolster, towards base of spine, the handle isn't smoothly finished, it's not very symmetrically shaped, etc. I took a sandpaper/micromesh progression to it to clean it up a bit (what you see in pictures) and it was slightly better.

Overall it's a perfectly fine knife for $50. I'd even recommend it to people at this price. The worst part about the knife is the marketing which is most baloney.

IMG_0728.jpeg
IMG_0731.jpeg
IMG_0730.jpeg
IMG_0732.jpeg

Thanks for the review. I believe they advertise AUS-8 for the steel. One review had the steel a rather soft temper. The Ihomeer is a China-made knife of faux Damascus AUS-10. I picked one up on Amazon for a mere $30. F+F was actually excellent, thin at the edge and of good temper, that truly was a decent value.

Thanks for the review. I believe they advertise AUS-8 for the steel. One review had the steel a rather soft temper. The Ihomeer is a China-made knife of faux Damascus AUS-10. I picked one up on Amazon for a mere $30. F+F was actually excellent, thin at the edge and of good temper, that truly was a decent value.

It was AUS-8 for v1. V2 they moved to AUS-10. Haven’t looked at the Chinese brands but I could see some easy competition for price/performance ratio. Surprised the F&F is also good on the Ihomeer though. May have to take a look out fo curiosity!

It's a smallish 8", but I've enjoyed using it. Great knife to have around for those you don't want using your good ones, and no one will know it's a $30 knife. The Chinese can make good product if you don't nickle and dime them on the price.

I have a 6” utility beater Misen, pretty decent for tearing down chickens & open cardboard boxes. It’s got a distal taper that most Chinese knives lack

Last edited:
Did you mean "distal" taper? Most Chinese knives do have dismal tapers.

I figured these would be decent for the price. The marketing is obnoxious bs, but of course they are preying on the non knife educated.

Yeah the marketing is the worst part. Pretty much flat out lies; the comparisons to “soft German steel” or “hard brittle Japanese steel” is from decades ago and/or extremely exaggerated. But as you said it’s for the masses that aren’t knife educated and for that it’s successful. They’ve been coasting on their good Serious Eats review from v1 from a long time ago and unfortunately Serious Eats never pulled or updated their review despite what seemed like inconsistent quality in v1.

Never retracted, aside from the gushing praise, Kenji was still using the Misen as his Icon knife long after the facts came out, and likely still is. You really have to wonder what possessed him. It doesn't lessen my praise of his website, just hope he never does anything like that again.

He was on here denying then defending his use of the term "holy grail" to describe the first Misen. Lot of popcorn went down for a couple days. He came off looking quite the ass.

Kenji definitely comes off slightly...off at times. Iirc his more recent videos I’ve spotted the Misono UX-10 more but I haven’t really been trying to pay attention (I tend to only watch Bravetart videos from SE anyway). I do like the Misono UX-10 a lot (and it tops Kenji’s recs) but well, let’s just say a Kono HD 240 changed my world in a way the Misono never did.

Be very careful with Misen products. While $50 seems like a decent deal, probably better off spending on a Nexus or something with BD1N for a few bucks more. Had a lot of luck with my Yaxell. Back to the Misen brand, they refuse returns when discounted & there isn't much posted about it on their website. So those looking to try, you will get stuck with it. STAY AWAY

Back