Quantcast

SOLD Miyabi Birchwood SG2 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

nakiriknaifuwaifu

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd like to sell this Miyabi Birchwood SG2 6" curved nakiri (aka chef's knife/gyuto). Sharpened once by Ike's Sharpening (Ike's Sharpening Services - Knife Sharpening Mission Viejo).

Purchased for 230, asking $175.
Please feel free to send offers or ask for more pictures.

Thanks,
NKW

Attachments

Last edited:

DrEriksson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they not make these in sg2 anymore?
I think they still do them in SG2, but on the website they only say that it‘s micro carbide at 63 HRc. It’s a bit annoying though, as at least my nearest support had no idea about the steels in their knives. My 7000MCD is only marked MC66, and I think that it’s a special heat treat of SG2, but can’t get an answer.

DrEriksson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
7000 MCD is ZDP-189, at least according to the rumour mill.
I’ve heard that as well, and it would be reasonable since the 5000MCD-black is at that hardness and in ZDP. I just seem to remember to, at some point in time, seeing that it was SG2 with different heat treat in some information. However, you’re probably correct. Don’t know of any other SG2 at that high HRc.

nakiriknaifuwaifu

Reaction score
Zwilling J.A. Henckels MC66 steel is just ZDP-189, so the birchwood is SG2, the black series is ZDP-189. I guess they rename all their steels to sound cool and proprietary.

Regarding heat treat, Miyabi claims a "cryogenic" heat treat for their SG2. What that means or translates to in performance I don't know.

DrEriksson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zwilling J.A. Henckels MC66 steel is just ZDP-189, so the birchwood is SG2, the black series is ZDP-189. I guess they rename all their steels to sound cool and proprietary.

Regarding heat treat, Miyabi claims a "cryogenic" heat treat for their SG2. What that means or translates to in performance I don't know.
The knife is bestowed with the power of fire and ice?