Miyabi FC61 steel. Anyone know what this is?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been curious about this as well... I called Miyabi, but they wouldn't give out any more info.

What about: Sandvik 14C28N?

and... would it be possible to use an airplane steel for this? Because QuesTek makes: Ferrium® C61™ Alloy Steel which, at least in name, could easily be FC61.

So misleading and a gimmicky company. It works on ordinary people without any exposure to steel types. For knifenuts, nope.

In one of the Executive Chef stores in an upscale Mall here were pushing these knives. They had a professional sharpener showing how to put an edge on them using the special Miyabi double sided stone.

I observed and listened to his information about sharpening to the general public. He made some good points that I agreed with. His technique (I'm little biased) not as efficient as what I teach at the culinary school. To me those knives have too much rise at the tip, even for rocking the knife.

Used my contacts to Henckels. Usually they create their own steel names, so that they are not tied to using steel from one mill. FC61 seems to be either 13C26 or of the same chemical composition.

is 13c26 basically the same as AEB-L with like a 0.01 percent difference in carbon content

Are we talking the steel in the new Kramer line?

So could I, Jon. If you and I are at odds, my money is on you. Haha. The new Kramer line is 13c26. I know this for a fact. But, I could have sworn they had one with a similar name that is basically vg10, so I could be mistaken.

The steel on the Miyabi Evolution and the new Kramer line is both called FC61, thus 13C26 or equivalent. For their older lines they use a steel called CMV60, quoting their website: "CMV60 stainless steel, containing cobalt, molybdenum and vanadium". So obviously this is VG10.

Back