Mizuno dx line (non suminagashi)

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by labor of love, May 29, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. May 31, 2019 #31

Jville

Jville

Jville

Group buy, discount. I might be down. Ive been wanting a mizuno for awhile and would definetly like a 270.

2. May 31, 2019 #32

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

The KS that everyone is excited about is 250-255mm.

3. May 31, 2019 #33

Jville

Jville

Jville

Duh, my bad. I do want to get sonething to replace the ks and shibata kashima that i sold.

4. Jun 13, 2019 #34

Chuckles

Chuckles

Chuckles

Supporting Member

Top to bottom:

Mario 260
    Masamoto KS probably four years old but basically unused
    Mizuno KS Blue DX Steel San Mai
    Mizuno Honyaki White Steel the original

0E4BC73F-7719-4168-86EE-CE413DAAAEF9.jpeg

Choil Shot Mizuno KS
    89239F9B-EEED-44A9-BCAD-B11F8613E0CD.jpeg

Just got this new one in hand today. In the top pic the Mizuno doesn’t lay the same as the others because of the octagonal handle. You can see though that the profile has more in common with the other Mizuno than with the KS. Still a very nice profile. Upon picking it up I immediately noticed the heft. It is not light like the Masamoto. Feeling the super smooth convex of the right blade face it is immediately recognizable as Mizuno. The weight and the convex feel made me think it was a thick knife. But as you can see from the choil it is quite trim at the edge. F&F is more in line with the Blue #2 series than with Suminigashi or Honyaki lines which is to say good, not great. But the grind is more like my memory of the suminigashi or blue Honyaki I had - definitely way thinner than my white Honyaki or the blue Honyaki Salty passed around. The handle is OK. The spacer isn’t not quite flush. Distal taper is there and adequate but not a pronounced characteristic. Mizuno is way sexier spine to edge than heel to tip.

I have only used it for an hour or two so far but I can say that I like it a lot. I was expecting to get this knife, satisfy my curiosity, and sell. I almost immediately began to realize I have a showdown on my hands as I have a Kippington on the way as well. I am looking for a thinner compliment to the Mario on top in the first pic and this knife is almost exactly what I was hoping it would be. I am really quite surprised. I would very much prefer this knife over a Shig or a Kato or a Watanabe for my specific tastes and for the spot I am looking to fill in my lineup.

I can try and get better pics and other measurements if anyone is interested.

I would love to send this off to Craig, Panda, and Anton if you guys want to take it for a spin. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  5. Jun 13, 2019 #35

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

I appreciate posts like this (above). Useful info here is really helpful- to me at least.

I for one am very interested to know your further impressions with different/extended use and sharpening.

6. Jun 13, 2019 #36

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

Yeah I'd love to try it out at some point. Will go head to head with my current #1 which is Mario 250 honyaki in w2, It's akin to a hybrid of KS profile and Miz grind.

7. Jun 13, 2019 #37

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Hey @Chuckles , are you saying the left side is pretty flat? And the right side has convexing? This knife might not even work for me(left handed). Although it might be so thin to where it’s not noticeable.
    Either way, thanks for the comments.
    Also apologies to @pete84 for harassing him for a choil shot.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  8. Jun 13, 2019 #38

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Really nice looking knife btw.

9. Jun 14, 2019 #39

Anton

Anton

Anton

The grind on the sumi is different to Ao hagane DX. Also comes with a slightly different taper and FF

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  10. Jun 14, 2019 #40

Anton

Anton

Anton

I still think mizuno honyaki white are his best overall knife if you like a heavier blade.

The sumiganashi has better edge retention, lighter, and it’s perfectly balanced

11. Jun 14, 2019 #41

Anton

Anton

Anton