Mizuno dx line (non suminagashi)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anybody used a gyuto from this line?
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...-wa-gyuto-with-shinogi-210mm-to-270mm-3-sizes

I find it interesting that jck describes the Mizuno dx line as “the highest grade of knives among Mizuno Tanrenjo”.
We already know that the regular suminagashi dx line is well respected and highly regarded, but this non suminagashi version is hundreds less in cost (about half the price).
I’ll likely email Koki for more details soon but I was curious if anybody has used the suminagashi and non suminagashi side by side and knows how similar different they are.

I'm a bit confused...thought dx was standard line but this says b1...pretty sure dx used to be b2?

Last edited:
From the pics looks like the grind is different on regular dx vs suminagashi dx, wide bevel vs "regular" convex. Don't have experience with either, just looking the pics. The price difference is significant though.....

I love how quick Koki responds to emails!
Here is what he said:

Dear Craig

Thank you very much for your interest and confirmation.

If your priority is sharpness, edge retention, we believe Mizuno Ao Hagane DX Wa Gyuto is great choice.

The cutting performance and edge retention are same level as Ao Hagane DX Suminagashi Wa Gyuto (Mizuno uses same steel for the blade core and Mizuno does the great forging process which maximize the steel's characteristics.

We hope you will find your favorite one and when you will have any questions, please let us know and help.

Thank you very much again for your interest and confirmation.

I heard something once about ordering this ground like the suminagashi, does anyone have one or know more about that? Does that mainly mean thinner or is it more complex?

Well that specific one I linked has about perfect specs for me! It looks like an almost perfect KS clone.
Mizuno made a bunch of different “ks style” knives with different specs.
Maybe look at what’s out of stock that might suit you and ask. I didn’t ask about changing specs.

Well that specific one I linked has about perfect specs for me! It looks like an almost perfect KS clone.
Mizuno made a bunch of different “ks style” knives with different specs.
Maybe look at what’s out of stock that might suit you and ask. I didn’t ask about changing specs.
Yep, I agree. Only thing I’d change would be maybe a bit more heel height...... but definitely not a deal breaker.

I personally always enjoyed the more classic Mizuno profile over KS...sad they run so short.

Yea that is quick, i was quoted 6-8 months for a suminagashi a while ago.

I would jump in on this too if it’s possible/appropriate. I’ve been Waffling on a Mizuno DX for like a year!

Crap, I’m sorry guys. He said “Atleast 2 monthes”
Here’s the email:

Dear Craig

Thank you very much for your interest and confirmation.

It requires at least 2 months, but if you would like, we can make the same item as below.

https://japanesechefsknife.com/prod...clad-wa-gyuto-d-shaped-magnolia-wooden-handle

If you will be interested in or will have any questions, please let us know and help.

Thank you very much again for your interest and confirmation.

Back