MIzuno Tanrenjo Honyaki Discussion

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey @ian,

Basically Mizuno Tanrenjo have been chasing us to buy some knives from them for awhile and with the imminent price increase we decided to pull the trigger. Normally we would buy knives and when they arrive we photograph them and list them on our shop. In this case we decided to offer the KKF members the opportunity to preorder with us and make sure they secure the knives they would like before the 20% increase kicks in on May 1st.

I would list the pricing directly here, but there are close to 400 different knives on the list and that is a lot of prices.

Ah, I was expecting that youā€™d just post a link to the spreadsheet (if you host it on your site, itā€™s easy to embed links here), and that the reason you werenā€™t doing that was due to a request from Mizuno or something. But whatever, hope you get some takers! Seems like a good deal.

Hey @ian,

Basically Mizuno Tanrenjo have been chasing us to buy some knives from them for awhile and with the imminent price increase we decided to pull the trigger. Normally we would buy knives and when they arrive we photograph them and list them on our shop. In this case we decided to offer the KKF members the opportunity to preorder with us and make sure they secure the knives they would like before the 20% increase kicks in on May 1st.

I would list the pricing directly here, but there are close to 400 different knives on the list and that is a lot of prices.
Is there a Miz with a lefty friendly grind? I'll be interested.

Ah, I was expecting that youā€™d just post a link to the spreadsheet (if you host it on your site, itā€™s easy to embed links here), and that the reason you werenā€™t doing that was due to a request from Mizuno or something. But whatever, hope you get some takers! Seems like a good deal.
@ian I suppose I could have done that. I haven't done a preorder like this before. I keep that in mind for next time.

I didnā€™t realize this thread got bumped recently, I was searching directly for it. Anyway, Iā€™m eager to start using my Miz Honyaki (I bought the one in the B&S that started this dialogue) and Iā€™m likely getting it back from a maker this week. Getting a custom handle, the choil reground and polished for a lefty, the spine rounded etc. Iā€™ll post more pics when itā€™s finished.

D2EE91B8-BCE0-424C-9A73-78163DB86793.jpeg
357B9694-41C9-4ADC-8CCF-222C2868B0E9.jpeg
544BA8CA-DB00-44CF-B08B-F3E17C40BAF4.jpeg
AAEE2CC7-8663-4B11-8BF1-BD1661A5223D.jpeg

Rounded choil on the left side, along with a slight reprofile.

78E74D5B-11D1-411F-BA59-B099F353EF36.jpeg
4C0B7F9B-34B2-4FD0-A1F5-283FC6729747.jpeg

Finished.

For a KS style gyuto, the original shape didn't resemble one much, but with the changes I requested with the knife included along with the new handle was to round the spine, round the choil to a left handed bias, and the blade from the tip to about 3 inches back have been slightly tapered but it's almost unnoticeable. Before he altered the tip, he also took out a slight high spot along the spine just forward of the kanji.

The wood is Mexican Kingwood. The balance point shifted back to the last kanji and feels great in hand now. I haven't used it yet, but I imagine at some point I'll send it out to be thinned, it's still quite portly.

_MG_4483.jpeg

I really love the warmth and evenness of this wood!

_MG_4460.jpeg
_MG_4470.jpeg
_MG_4469.jpeg

Finished.

For a KS style gyuto, the original shape didn't resemble one much, but with the changes I requested with the knife included along with the new handle was to round the spine, round the choil to a left handed bias, and the blade from the tip to about 3 inches back have been slightly tapered but it's almost unnoticeable. Before he altered the tip, he also took out a slight high spot along the spine just forward of the kanji.

The wood is Mexican Kingwood. The balance point shifted back to the last kanji and feels great in hand now. I haven't used it yet, but I imagine at some point I'll send it out to be thinned, it's still quite portly.

View attachment 122532

I really love the warmth and evenness of this wood!

View attachment 122534View attachment 122535View attachment 122533
Looks really nice. Do you happen to have a pic of the choil? Would like to see how a lefty friendly Miz looks like.

Looks really nice. Do you happen to have a pic of the choil? Would like to see how a lefty friendly Miz looks like.

Glad you asked! I can re-shoot it if you'd like.

The grind really appears 50/50 to me. Just a workhorse.

_MG_4471.jpeg

Had interest in Mizuno knives when they were made by the previous generation master and when they were 50 percent less. Should have grabbed a blue 1 sumi when I had the chance.

this.

Probably because they were still doing their own production and using their forge back in the day. Now Iā€™ve only ever seen it used for performances and when tourists walk in and he starts ā€œmakingā€ your knife.

Itā€™s worth adding a better picture of the original grind before I send it off to be thinned. Itā€™s quite thick and concave.

3A7FB2DA-C5C9-4622-8232-D4193DA9856E.jpeg

Back