Mizuno with or without shinogi?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mune cuts great brand new with its concave wide bevel, but becomes a nuisance after a few sharpenings

hate how hinoura cuts, same with heiji. but steel is so good on a heiji its worth to keeping as a project and regrind it
Why I love the little suji. It doesn’t see much produce. I had the Munetoshi thinned and the Shinogi line/ bevel reduced so much.. it’s a totally different knife. I never got along with the Hinoura.

Do the people that picked blue prefer Miz's blue over his white, or just blue in general?

Edit: I'd give the newer Hinoura in AS a try if you didn't like his older grinds.

I’m pretty impressed by the edge retention of the blue1 miz. I’ve only clocked about 4hrs of heavy prep on it but I’ve never had any other carbon knife hold the edge this well.

I plan on firing my chef tomorrow so it’ll get plenty of use next week 😂 I’ll let you know how it and I hold up.

Tbh, it was kind of annoying to me as a home user, since I really like sharpening my knives and that thing would just stay mad sharp for like 2 months.

ive gone a whole month without sharpening the miz before, that is unheard of. and it actually feels great on stones which is bonkers for something with such great retention.

admittedly, miz white2 honyaki felt nicer but retention was rather pathetic. grind on that, fantastic, profile awesome. but i much prefer the grind on the ks and that alone makes me not even want to get a custom length honyaki any more

I’ve had a bunch of Mizuno blue. 240 and 270 w/ shinogi. They’re gone. Still have a dammy 240 that may be my best knife. It has really good competition for that title. I’m pretty sure the 240 Dammy is a Tanaka forging... heard that somewhere.

this thread just cost me a pretty decent chunk of change

wish I had known about this company a couple of years ago.

this thing is ridiculously well ground and I for one like the profile. I know it's definitely the honeymoon phase but I would only be a tiny bit surprised if this ended up being my favorite knife.

Yours looks like it has some extra mm at the heel. How tall is it?

a quick line up on the ruler says 259mm x 49mm (safely 49) for the slicey bits, and as was brought up in the other thread, it's a chunker at 260ish grams.

in addition to LOVING the aesthetics of the handle I did see on the specs this one was a bit taller, and that was what made it a bit easier to stomach the price. I was in shouting distance of a honyaki but ultimately decided that those were a bit too short in the length department and I could use the difference to buy a new stone.

even though this is a taller example this is the shortest 240 in my drawer. that being said my actual Sabatier is a bit shorter due to a couple of decades of sharpening (it was my dad's) and I love that thing, and I assume the KS stands for k-sabatier, doesnt it?

Fake shinogi? That explains a few things. When I contacted Koki about the difference between the two versions, he told me they are the same. I just went with no shinogi because I liked the looks of it better.

Fake shinogi? That explains a few things. When I contacted Koki about the difference between the two versions, he told me they are the same. I just went with no shinogi because I liked the looks of it better.
He told me that two different people do the grinding depending on shinogi or no, the one with the shinogi tends to have a more asymmetric grind. But those were for his stock at the time. He had me put a custom order with a lefty grind, came out like this
E4CB7E8C-4176-43A0-ABBC-99EF526AB95B.png

yes the size of the Mizuno handles is their only real downside imo.

Im going to splurge on a very plain white 240 at some point and rehandle it myself with burnt chestnut as a learning experience. I do love ebony except for its shock resistance.

Latest posts

Back