MontezumaBoy's knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sick!!!!! Especially like the haburn! Great knives all around!!

What is the western suji in the last pic?

Sweet knives... I really like the western handled Haburn gyuto, but everything is really tasty!

Here is the list/details with re-handle info where pertinent (note: DT did NOT do a rehandle but his handle supplied with the 225 ITK was "re-purposed" on Mario's ... and is perfect).

Thx all for their comments - it is a work in progress ...

Maker
Type
Blade
Handle
Handle/Maker
Haburn
Ko Bunka 150
AEB-L
AZ Ironwood & Bog Oak
Maker
Promethean
Petty 150
Clad CruForgeV
AZ Ironwood
Maker
Gengetsu
Petty 150
Clad W1
Unknown
Maker
Gengetsu
Gyuto 240
Clad W1
Burnt Chestnut
Maker
Gengetsu
Gyuto 240
Clad SemiStainless
Burnt Chestnut
Maker
CJA Edged Art
Gyuto 240 (XH)
AEB-L
HRB with Copper
Maker
Konosuke
Gyuto 240
ZDP-189 (Solid)
AZ Ironwood w/ Mokume & Carbon
Haburn
Kagekiyo
Gyuto 240
Ginsan
? Laquered
Maker
Ingoglia
Gyuto 180
CPM-154
Amboyna w/ Blackwood
Maker
Ingoglia
Gyuto 225
XHP
Cocobolla (?) w/ Blackwood (?)
DT (Long Story ...)
Devin Thomas
ITK 225
AEB-L
HRB with Mammoth & Blackwood
HHH
Haburn
Gyuto 240
AEB-L
Maple Burl w/ Copper & Bog Oak
Maker
Haburn
Bunka 180
AEB-L
Thuruya w/ Copper & Bog Oak
Maker
HHH
Garasuki
Clad Blue #1
Ironwood
Maker
MAC
Petty/Fillet
Moly
Molded plastic
Maker
Tsourkan
Honesuki 165
CA Buckeye w/ Hippo & Blackwood
Maker
HHH
Fillet 200
AEB-L
CA Buckeye
Maker
Tsourkan
Sabaki 160
AEB-L
CA Buckeye w/ Hippo & Blackwood
Maker
MAC
Petty/Fillet
Moly
Molded plastic
Maker
Wakui
Sujihiki 240
Clad W1
Amboyna Burl w/ Blackwood
Mikey (Hona Mana)
Bloodroot Blades
Line knife (ish) 210
Spalted Maple
Maker
Gengetsu
Sujihiki 270
Clad W1
Ironwood
HHH

My much better half recently asked me the dreaded "How many knives do you really have?" question ... I stammered and mumbled something about really not that many & I have sold a bunch ... So as it has been a while & (hopefully) she is NOT on KKF ... this is them (for the most part) ... as you can see 'sold a bunch' is a bit of a reach ... LOL ...

IMO The only good thing these last 18+ months have been is many of the makers I have been on "lists for" suddenly showing up ...

My Haburn, Tsourkan & (particularly) my Devin families have really grown up ... but seriously just being able to play with such a variety is particularly fun ...

IMG_6136.JPG
IMG_6139.JPG
IMG_6140.JPG
IMG_6141.JPG

My much better half recently asked me the dreaded "How many knives do you really have?" question ... I stammered and mumbled something about really not that many & I have sold a bunch ... So as it has been a while & (hopefully) she is NOT on KKF ... this is them (for the most part) ... as you can see 'sold a bunch' is a bit of a reach ... LOL ...

IMO The only good thing these last 18+ months have been is many of the makers I have been on "lists for" suddenly showing up ...

My Haburn, Tsourkan & (particularly) my Devin families have really grown up ... but seriously just being able to play with such a variety is particularly fun ...

View attachment 142155View attachment 142156View attachment 142157View attachment 142158
You are my hero. That is quite a collection. The third Devin from the left looks like ITK ~240, I had a 225, should've never sold it. What's the last one on the right? Those Haburns look great too, the western looks very nice. The Markos too, I only have 1 now and waiting for another...... too bad I couldn't keep all of them, stupid money limitation, what is all that about?

I'll second that Haburn western gyuto compliment, that thing looks nice. Also noticed regarding your bought some/sold some comment that your table has gone from half full to both sides now, but you can still add a leaf, so plenty of room to keep adding!

You are my hero. That is quite a collection. The third Devin from the left looks like ITK ~240, I had a 225, should've never sold it. What's the last one on the right? Those Haburns look great too, the western looks very nice. The Markos too, I only have 1 now and waiting for another...... too bad I couldn't keep all of them, stupid money limitation, what is all that about?

That is a MagnaCut in a octagonal (Devin took pity on me given my predilection for WA handles ... that makes 2 of them ...).

Last edited:
I'll second that Haburn western gyuto compliment, that thing looks nice. Also noticed regarding your bought some/sold some comment that your table has gone from half full to both sides now, but you can still add a leaf, so plenty of room to keep adding!

This was my thinking exactly but I'm really not sure my lovely bride would feel that way ... but she tolerates this particular habit much better than others ... I have to go find the leaf and re-take the pics so it look spartan ...

I know ... I know ... been travelling from June to Aug ... this work sh#t is a PITA ... but it is certainly on me ...

I have chatted with Mareko & Ian about doing a sort of 'hammer in' / WCG - likely in Tacoma but I really have to get off my butt to figure it out. Very doable IMO just takes me commiting. I believe my 2021 window has closed though so looking more in April/May 2022 ... still have hope ...

Oh and I am trying to get a house build (permits only just got approved) ... so a 'little' bit of a distraction ...

Haha! Life has been really busy this year, and we all have to be sensitive to everyone's level of COVID-prevention wishes.

I really meant that first message with a wink and a nudge, didn't come across at all! Great looking collection, and I'm still willing to help put a WCG together whenever that may be.

That's what I thought it might be, very cool. Looks to be around 240-250 long, hard to say from the pics though.

Yes - just over 240 give or take ... love these ... I was thinking of what to do with the ITK but really I spent so many bloody years trying to find one in near new condition that it ain't going anywhere (famous last words ...). All the best!

dang, those markos...

Thx chef - the sabaki/honesuki pair were a custom but really started with the Sabaki only. Then Marko used the other 1/2 of the block (CA Buckeye burl) I had sent him for this chicken killer so had to keep them together ... spacer really works ... buckeye can be a bit "yellow" for my taste but this one had all the grey/white/black tones I like in that wood.

@MontezumaBoy Great collection! What’s the white handled western gyuto?

That is a Tony LaSeur san mai (stainless over a core of Vtoku-2) ... I bought it on BST from James (thebradleycrew) - he buys them ... plays with them ... and sometimes I am lucky enough to see him selling one ... LOL / great guy to deal with ...

Sweet knife as all Tony's are IMO ...

Thx and all the best!

View attachment 142155View attachment 142156View attachment 142157View attachment 142158
🤩 wow

Latest posts

Back