• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Morihei Hisamoto 180mm (No Bolster Fine Finish)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristoffer

Reaction score
Hi!

There is blood in the water...

I really like the work Preizzo did on my 210 TF Mab and would like to try another flavour.

Would anyone possibly have a 180 mm version of the iron clad knives TF made for Morihei? Preferably in Europe to avoid customs issues, but I’m open to US as well.

Hi,
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but you could try the pro tooling website. It doesn't list the knife as fine finish though, so you may need to contact them for specifics

https://protooling.com.au/products/morihei-hisamoto-kurouchi-180mm-gyuto-knife-shirogami-no-bolster
Good luck on the hunt, I'm after a 210mm myself
Thats definitely not the "fine finish" there are no more fine finish knives being made now that I know of, or they have all been sold. Only way to get one now is second hand.

Thats definitely not the "fine finish" there are no more fine finish knives being made now
Thats what I was told. The current stock of Morihei Hisamotos will not have the Jnat (fine) finish. However you can order direct from TF and get what they call the 'Nihonto' finish option. Well worth it in my opinion. My Morihei/TF Nakiri received the treatment and it came out very well. Ask Gaku for further details.

Last edited:
Talk to Gaku. Price probably depends on the blade length.

Thats definitely not the "fine finish" there are no more fine finish knives being made now that I know of, or they have all been sold. Only way to get one now is second hand.

Thanks! That’s kinda what I was hoping to lure out.

Other than having been finished on stones, do you know if those would be the same knives from TF, or could they even be from another maker or made to a different spec?

Thats what I was told. The current stock of Morihei Hisamotos will not have the Jnat (fine) finish. However you can order direct from TF and get what they call the 'Nihonto' finish option. Well worth it in my opinion. My Morihei/TF Nakiri received the treatment and it came out very well. Ask Gaku for further details.

Thanks for the tip! I was kind of hoping to get to try another sample of TF knives without breaking the bank though and I would guess that finish wouldn’t come cheap..?

Other than having been finished on stones, do you know if those would be the same knives from TF, or could they even be from another maker or made to a different spec?
Same knives, inhouse forged, and they even have the Morihei Kanji stamped on the blade. TF IV kindly chiseled the TF kanji on the opposite side for that extra hand finished appeal

Same knives, inhouse forged, and they even have the Morihei Kanji stamped on the blade. TF IV kindly chiseled the TF kanji on the opposite side for that extra hand finished appeal

...aaand it’s sold out. Looks like I was too slow to decide.

I thought the last ones they were selling were knives Morihei already had in stock when they stopped doing the fine finish.
Hitohira decided to sell them as they came from TF without any Morihei value add. So the exact same knives...

I thought the last ones they were selling were knives Morihei already had in stock when they stopped doing the fine finish.
Hitohira decided to sell them as they came from TF without any Morihei value add. So the exact same knives...
They are still making the soft iron clad W#1 blades. Confirmed by Gaku. I got my Nakiri direct from TF. Morihei are no longer doing the stone finish probably due to the time it takes.

My assumption is based on the below post from Hitohiro.
  1. There was a "problem" at Morihei workshop that caused them to stop doing the fine finish.
  2. Hitohira decided to sell off the inventory that Morihei could not fine finish
  3. They will likely not buy any more knives from TF.
TF may still make iron clad knives, but looks like they are not going to Morihei/Hitohira.
I can't see any reason for Morihei to deal with TF if they can't add any value to the proposition.

The polishing was done by Morihei owner, Ogura-san, a trained sword polisher. He's gotta be well into his 70's so I'm guessing thats the 'problem'

I will probably regret this, but that knife is heading to Sweden! Really appreciate you helping me find it. Even with shipping the price was just too good to pass on.
Most definitely!! Priced right for sure

The only thing to regret is that it wasn't in sweden already.
Are you close to Preizzo? Maybe it's time for a Gothenburg gettogether...

Most definitely! I moved from Gothenburg in April, but no further than Kungälv. Do you live in Gothenburg as well?

Maybe we could convince @preizzo to use some of his contacts at some nice restaurant (did I hear Hoze? 😂 :cool:). We moved to a house. It’s out of town, but there’s plenty of space for those that would like to stay over (@Carl Kotte hint, hint).

Most definitely! I moved from Gothenburg in April, but no further than Kungälv. Do you live in Gothenburg as well?

Maybe we could convince @preizzo to use some of his contacts at some nice restaurant (did I hear Hoze? 😂 :cool:). We moved to a house. It’s out of town, but there’s plenty of space for those that would like to stay over (@Carl Kotte hint, hint).

Yes, I live West of got but no further than biking distance from having coffee with matteo at bar centro....

My assumption is based on the below post from Hitohiro.
  1. There was a "problem" at Morihei workshop that caused them to stop doing the fine finish.
  2. Hitohira decided to sell off the inventory that Morihei could not fine finish
  3. They will likely not buy any more knives from TF.
TF may still make iron clad knives, but looks like they are not going to Morihei/Hitohira.
I can't see any reason for Morihei to deal with TF if they can't add any value to the proposition.

I heard a rumour that Morihei will have some new stuff for a fine finish soon.
Because I heard that Oguro-san sharpen/polish some knife due to COVID-19 but that's just an unconfirmed info.

Back