Moritaka Ishime

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry

Reaction score
Anybody got, used, or seen one of these? Available from Knifewear.
Thanks

31gyuto270-big[1].jpg

Texture looks interesting, after that I have no clue sorry.

I'm pretty sure the guy that did the 1 on 1 class here on Monday had a couple of these. They looked like Moritakas but he called them something else. Anyway, I didn't see any problems with them.

I've been to knifewear a few times, since I live in the same city. Kevin (the owner) said that this finish in traditionally done on hunting knives, not sure if its hunting knives or Moritaka hunting knives. Its got much more texture than the normal kurouchi finish.

Anybody got, used, or seen one of these? Available from Knifewear.
Thanks

I, too, have seen it on Knifewear. As your title states it is done in Ishime finish (Rock Surface finish).

Knifewear models are Aogami #2 and they feature a "D" shaped handle. I contacted Moritaka directly and ordered a Santoku Ishime (185mm), Aogami Super with octagonal Handle. Moritaka charged a total of 16,680 Yen; shipping included.

In my opinion Ishime finish looks way better then Kurouchi finish; and it's probably more durable. The knife is straight but not too sharp out of the box. The handle feels really good but before I use the knife I'll have to fill the handle/tang hole with some epoxy (see the bottom pic); not a pretty sight. I might consider sending it to Dave for inspection and sharpening.

Sorry about bad pictures; I might take a better set later.

moritaka01.jpg

moritaka02.jpg

moritaka03.jpg

I don't see the normal welded tang of Moritaka....interesting.

Good point.

It is hard to see from the previous pictures so, I took a few closeup shots. It appears the tang is made from a different material, but since it is covered with Rock Surface finish it doesn't show well (nor would I want it to).

Here are some closeup shots of the tang and Rock Surface finish:

mor001.jpg

mor002.jpg

mor003.jpg

mor004.jpg

Well there is the weld. Nice looking knives. I recently sold my Moritaka Kiri-gyuto and just barely regret it. Not enough to matter though, his replacement is doing great and as I get the edge profile more to my specs it'll be a perfect fit shortly. I will say I took for granted how nice an edge that Moritaka will take.

That's the prettiest wabocho I have ever seen. Very nice knife!

Thank you, lefty. I really love the finish and will probably order another knife from Moritaka.

moritaka03.jpg

I need to fill this handle hole with some epoxy, but I have no idea what brand to order. I would prefer a small syringe style (clear) epoxy. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

You should likely use a medium thick CA glue. I don't have any links, but I think I remember reading "Zap-a-Gap" in a thread a little while back. Check it out!

You should likely use a medium thick CA glue. I don't have any links, but I think I remember reading "Zap-a-Gap" in a thread a little while back. Check it out!

I think you have to be a little careful with CA - it has very strong bonding properties, but once it's dried it has no structure itself. It can be very brittle and breaks easily. In my limited expereince with other crafts, I think epoxy would be a better product for this application.

I would suggest going to your local hardware store and see what's on the shelf and compare products. Keep in mind there are different rates - 5 minute - 30 minute, etc. and different formulas for diferent purposes. I think a basic 30 minute epoxy would be fine for this. Epoxy tends to be very thick and I doubt it would work w/ a syringe. Use something fine pointed like a bodkin, leather punch, or even a bamboo skewer whittled down to apply small amounts into the hole. You're bound to get some on the edge of the bolster, so have an appropriate solvent and wet a paper towel with it to wipe off any excess.

Sure, that could work too ;)
I figured some sanding to shape would work. Really, you just need something to fill the hole, so it shouldn't be too bad either way.

Thank you gentleman. I can't wait to get this hole filled so that I can finally start using the knife.

I looked at one of these (a nakiri) last night. Very attractive knife.

Thank you gentleman. I can't wait to get this hole filled so that I can finally start using the knife.

I have had good success with a two-part epoxy.

This is what has worked very well for me:

Lightly sand the end of the ferrule and, optionally, hit that interior dowel with some black magic marker/Sharpie to blend color.

Mask off the handle with some masking or blue painters tape, leaving 1/32" or so overlap.
Put the knife upright in a vise and apply the epoxy (mine came with a syringe) a 1/8" - 1/4" up the exposed tang.

The thick epoxy will slowly goo it's way down as it sets... as it pools, the tape and overlap will contain and form a mold for the glue.

After it has hardened remove the tape and light buff or micro sand.

What you are left with is a nice small epoxy "dome" that looks professional and will shed food debris and moisture like a beaver's azz... :D

Very Takeda-esque,I wonder how a full size Chukabocho would look.

image2-2.jpg
Here is a picture of my last Chukabocho from Moritaka having a similar hammer patterned applied. I went 2/3 hammer pattern into 1/3 damascus.

I have had good success with a two-part epoxy.

This is what has worked very well for me:

Lightly sand the end of the ferrule and, optionally, hit that interior dowel with some black magic marker/Sharpie to blend color.

Mask off the handle with some masking or blue painters tape, leaving 1/32" or so overlap.
Put the knife upright in a vise and apply the epoxy (mine came with a syringe) a 1/8" - 1/4" up the exposed tang.

The thick epoxy will slowly goo it's way down as it sets... as it pools, the tape and overlap will contain and form a mold for the glue.

After it has hardened remove the tape and light buff or micro sand.

What you are left with is a nice small epoxy "dome" that looks professional and will shed food debris and moisture like a beaver's azz... :D

That's exactly the way I am going to do it; thank you! :)

The best and easiest to find epoxy for this is Devcon's 2-ton. This stuff is waterproof and found everywhere.

moritaka03.jpg

I need to fill this handle hole with some epoxy, but I have no idea what brand to order. I would prefer a small syringe style (clear) epoxy. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Fink, great pic btw...

But we are now gonna need an "after" shot from the same angle... :joec:

Well, here it is. It's not perfect, but it does the job.

Thanks everyone for helping out. :thumbsup:

tangw.jpg

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it.

I made a mistake by masking the Machi (heel) too close to the handle. So, some masking tape is still visible and being a perfectionist that I am, I'm not too happy about it, but in the end it does the job.

Mental message: next time NO masking on Machi. Huummmmmmm .... someone ring that Tibetan bell.

Back