Moritaka or Takeda Sujihiki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takeda or Moritaka

• Takeda

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Moritaka

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

K.Bouldin

Reaction score
I’m looking to pick up a new 180mm Sujihiki from either Moritaka or Takeda. I’m thinking that I want an aogami super core. I believe the Moritaka uses iron cladding while the Takeda uses stainless. I’ve heard the Moritaka can be reactive, like really reactive.
Wondering if anyone out there has used either of these knives in person and can provide some feedback.

Moritaka AS uses an iron cladding with a relatively fragile KU finish. Takeda stainless clad will be easier in maintenance.

As for which is better - i don't own any sujis so I'm a poor source.

If you don’t mind putting several/many hours of work in the moritaka is a great choice (very reactive though). If you want the knife to be headache free then probably go with the takeda and contact a retailer to help you pick out one that is nice and thin.
FWIW the Watanabe that got posted above is also going to be spectacular and probably have no serious issues at all

I assume the moritaka is the regular KU and not the ishime?

I have a Takeda sujI, but only played around with the moritaka blue 2 version (ishime). The Takeda is thinner and flexier, but not as noodly as the old AS ones. The moritaka def feels more solid and stiff. Good or bad thing? Up to you I suppose. That being said flex may not be all that different at 180mm.

Performance should be somewhat similar between the 2, but I do have a preference for Takeda’s AS HT - it seems to hold an edge forever. I drew the whole blade through a piece of bone the other day at it seemed no worse for wear. Did stress me out tho. Food release on the Takeda is nice, the grind causes it to spit cut pieces out instead of sticking to the knife. Assuming you’re not using it for anything other than meat, the zero grind wedginess should be a non issue

I personally dislike the ishime finish. The parts that lose the KU are pretty reactive in a bad way, it turns yellow quickly and darkens with time to an unattractive brownish color. Much prefer takeda’s SS cladding although some have said it’s pretty resistant to abrasion (if you’re looking to thin/mess with the grind).

The one bad thing about Takeda is the silly prices. For some reason they’re significantly more expensive, especially at the longer lengths (which you may want to consider, huge suji’s aren’t as awkward as they may seem, but give you all the blade you need to make one clean cut). Other weird thing is the blade is mounted super close to the handle, I had to change my grip a bit but at 285mm there’s plenty of useable edge.

Keep in mind these are the experiences/opinion of a complete novice, hope it helps with your decision!

I do love my Takedas, but if flex is a deal breaker for you, then Takedas maybe aren't for you even though that on a short knife the flex is less noticeable. The food release is always excellent though, so there are pros and cons as always.

Back