Moritka AS performance?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruso

Reaction score
Let's put all the QA issues apart. There have been quite a few threads about it.
But how does Moritaka performs? Especially the AS series. Judging by the choil shots the geometry seems to be a rather simple scandi grind. Does it wedge much? I heard the HT is well done and holds the edge rather well?
Please chime in with your fist hand experience....; remember it's under $200 knife, hence compare it sensibly.

i have AS 165 petty and it's a piece of crap. i'm all for good value, this one is not however. i would instead opt for the tojiro shirogami series. that also gets a bad rep here, but i think they're pretty great for basement diving.

One knife. One day. One data point. Knife cut average at best. Fugly (but we knew that). Had to go because it would rather rust than cut. Shortest time I've owned a knife.

i have AS 165 petty and it's a piece of crap. i'm all for good value, this one is not however. i would instead opt for the tojiro shirogami series. that also gets a bad rep here, but i think they're pretty great for basement diving.

If you enjoy a roller coaster ride along the edge, sure.:laugh:

Panda, you must've scored one of the better ones.

I just paid $50 for a 180 blue 2 ku Tanaka. I'll report once it arrives but I think that may be hard to beat for el cheapo knives.

So far so not too good :) More opinions?

Chinacats, Tanakas are one of the best bank for the buck, IMHO.

I've had three. 270 gyuto; 250 KS profile gyuto; 240 sujihiki. Performance was about on par with Zakuri. No overgrinds that might have become "holes". Sold the gyutos; still have the suji.

If it's bang for the buck you're looking for, try the Takeo Murata knives at The Epicurean Edge. The 135 sabaki and the 165 petty are excellent values. The only problem is that there's no knives over 210.

I've had three. 270 gyuto; 250 KS profile gyuto; 240 sujihiki. Performance was about on par with Zakuri. No overgrinds that might have become "holes". Sold the gyutos; still have the suji.

If it's bang for the buck you're looking for, try the Takeo Murata knives at The Epicurean Edge. The 135 sabaki and the 165 petty are excellent values. The only problem is that there's no knives over 210.

I am always looking at good value/performance combination. In case of Moritaka, I am tempted, but the choil shots I've seen do not give me much confidence. Hence, the thread.

The first "real" knife I got was the ZK 52100 10" chef's knife, and although it is made in Japan, what I consider my first "true" J-knife was the Moritaka supreme AS 210 wa-gyuto (you can stop laughing now). I got it from Paul's finest here in Canada.

The Moritaka paved the way for hours of online research and stumbling upon zknives, Salty's videos, and KKF. I haven't had any of the serious issues (so far) but trying to sharpen as a wide bevel didn't go well at first because of the unevenness. Performance wise it is okay but I have so many other options that I don't use it too often these days. I've gotten it sharp enough that I took off part of a fingernail and the skin underneath, may have been because I'm not afraid to test my ability on this knife compared to some others I have.

i had a 240 that cut well and was ground well. It far outperformed my tojiro shirogami 240. It rusted if you looked at it though. I sold it as a result.

I have a santoku that I got years ago to use at home. No qualms with it, sharpens/holds/cuts well enough, a little chippy if you are sloppy with it, nice handle (old rosewood ones), no grind problem. KU finish has held pretty well throughout the years too. Actually enjoy using it when making a small bullsh*t meal around the house.

I have a 210 AS Gyuto, one of my earlier knives.
Can't say as I have any issues with it, quite like it actually.
I have always found it easy to sharpen, no rust issues.

Much like Tanner, it doesn't get too much use nowadays due to the number of knives I have, plus it's a tad short for my tastes.

Still use it from time to time.

Does anyone have the experience to compare the steel performance of lower end AS knives to higher end ones?

Is there a lot of variation in the HT of AS between makers?

I ask because have a Mizuno with an AS core and the steel performs quite differently to what I've heard about other AS knives.

Does anyone have the experience to compare the steel performance of lower end AS knives to higher end ones?

Is there a lot of variation in the HT of AS between makers?

I think so, yes. As in every other steel, too.

I have a TF Denka (although as I heards it's not really exactly the same as AS but a comparable steel :scratchhead:) and had a Hiromoto AS since a few month ago. Also tested (for a couple of weeks each) a AS Moritaka and Takeda (NAS) Gyuto as well as a Sakai Takayuki AS Santoku (this one: http://gx2.japan-messer-shop.de/de/...schmiedet-und--signiert---nicht-rostfrei.html).

In comparison I don't think there are huge differences in the behaviour while sharpening due to the heattreat. I guess the edge geometry has a certainly bigger influence on that. Resulting sharpness was pretty good with each of the knives. But I'm quite sure that there are some differences in edge retention and edge stability.

My Denka for example outperforms the other AS knives in both aspects by quite a bit. The Sakai Takayuki for example chipped quite easily. With the Hiromoto and the Moritaka (both thinned) I didn't had that problem. On the other hand it seemed to have better edge retention than both. I guess the hardness comes into play here (Moritaka: 64-65, Sakai 65, Hiromoto 62-63?, Denka 65-66)...

Suppose a comparison to the Takeda would be unfair due to the quite different edge geometry, but of course the heattread of the maker has a big influence, even when using the same kind of steel. Esspecially when using a steel that's pretty sensitive in heat treat (I heard that regarding AS).

I own a hiromoto, takeda, koishi, Takeshi saji.
All are gyutos 240

Best one in terms of prestaciones it s the koishi. Easy knife to get it sharp, hold the edge really long and it got super sharp.

The takeda it s good also but the edge it s a bit to brittle.

Hiromoto it s nothing special IMO, the edge doesn't last so long and it s more difficult to get it sharp properly.

Takeshi saji I haven't try it yet but I am planning to bring it with me to my next trip to Italy 😄.

Thanks. It seems that there is quite a lot of variance with AS.

Some steels seem a lot closer than others.

The Mizuno has great edge retention and isn't at all chippy.

I didn't know Mizuno worked in AS.

It's a custom order lefty suminigashi with AS core. I don't think he's willing to do it again, I've been asking for a matching petty for over a year with no luck. :viking:

Would be nice to try it 😄
Would you willing to do a passaround?? 😉

It's my baby, so I don't think I'd dare do a pass-around. Plus it's lefty ground so it probably wouldn't work too well for you. If I'm ever in Sweden you're more than welcome to give it a try.

It's a custom order lefty suminigashi with AS core. I don't think he's willing to do it again, I've been asking for a matching petty for over a year with no luck. :viking:

It's my baby, so I don't think I'd dare do a pass-around. Plus it's lefty ground so it probably wouldn't work too well for you. If I'm ever in Sweden you're more than welcome to give it a try.

Wow, I didn't realize you were able to get them to do AS instead of Blue #2.

:plus1: for the Murata from epicurean edge for some smaller knives. Rustic inexpensive clad blue paper steel with a good octagonal handle. I have the 165mm funayuki, no problems with the rusting or QC concerns that seem to plague the Moritaka

Latest posts

Back