Small plate MOROCCAN-STYLE CRANBERRY SAUCE

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been making this every year for a while, figured it's easiest to just post it here rather than digging through my emails every year

MOROCCAN-STYLE CRANBERRY SAUCE

Ingredients:

• around 3 cups fresh cranberries
  • 1 whole preserved lemon slice, rinsed off and chopped into small pieces (1 slice meaning one quarter of the lemon)
  • 1/4 teaspoon preserved lemon juice/brine from jar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds, ground*
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/2 – 3/4 cup sugar (depending on taste)

Directions:

1. Combine 2 cups of the cranberries in a saucepan with the 1/2 cup water. Cover, and cook until all of the cranberries pop open & it’s bubbling. Remove from heat & mash with a wooden spoon to get it to a sauce-y texture.
  2. Add the rest of the berries, 1/2 cup sugar, the preserved lemon & the brine. Cook until heated & the whole cranberries are softening & beginning to pop. Remove from heat.
  3. Add the ground cardamom & cumin. Taste. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar & cook on low until dissolved- if needed.
  4. Add more cumin or cardamom to taste (also if needed).
  5. Place in clean jar(s) and let cool. Refrigerate or serve immediately.

Agreed, both my adult children had a good time asking why I had not already made my own:). Added to my to do list, my daughter is taking the remaining lemons. She lived in Morocco for a summer so she is very happy to have them for her tagine recipes.

Back