Mortise and tenon handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Mike9

Banned
Reaction score
Something knyfeknerd said in his thread got me thinking - why not do a mortise and tenon connection between the ferrule and handle? I made this for a used Takagi Honyaki Gyuto I got recently. The wood came from Mark Farley it's Amboyna burl with an Oregon Black Oak ferrule. I made a jig to cut the mortise and cheeks for the ferrule on the table saw then cleaned up with a file. Two things became apparent right away - #1 the slot for the tang is not easy to make even on two pieces and #2 this stabilized wood polishes to an amazing luster I was knocked out by how it buffed up.

How do you guys make such clean tang slots? :scratchhead:

GEDC0601.jpg

GEDC0602.jpg

GEDC0604.jpg

Carl

Reaction score
Maybe make multiple, smaller ones, almost like the battlements on a chess' rook peice. But yeah, I like it.

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
Most of the Japanese made wa handles are mortise and tenon, as are Marko's. Some other guys as well. They are just completely internal.

CanadianMan

Reaction score
Thats really nice, i like it, but i do agree with carl, putting more smaller ones would look cooler. But i still think that is a beautiful!!! handle.

Mike9

Banned
Reaction score
That would be such a PITA to jig up for. Probably an indexing system and then you'd need to use a small shaper/router and that would equal much higher pucker & oops factors.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
This is the first I have seen done like this.
Unusual but still kind of cool.
I like it.

RoanRoks29

Reaction score
I like thats actually pretty sweet! I agree maybe making a crown of sorts may actually look really cool. Great job !!