Most Essential Knives In Your Knife Roll

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool, thank you.

Got Collins opinion on knife rolls. He suggested to take a look at rolls of this maker:
http://www.felbert.co/leather-knife-roll/chef-knife-rolls.html#kniferoll

I like them and they seems to fit my approach to making things - overbuilding, and I like contrasting stitching on leather a lot. Instead of leather sheaths I would use wood sayas (better for knives), but the fact that knives are in deep pockets appeals to me a lot. Need to study the design a bit more and familiarize myself with the process, not to mention figuring out how to come up with a more reasonable price but comparable workmanship.

You guys might think that I am crazy, putting my hand in so many pots (boards, mag strips, strops, and now rolls) but to me all these things revolve around knives, so they are related. Ideally I would hire people do this work, with my involvement being design, supervising and quality control. I would also prefer it to happen on premises rather than subcontract the work - I like to run a tight ship. So this might be something I will pursue down the road.

Wood and leather seems to be like a great combination and I like equally both. Add great wood and great leather, some interesting technique working it, and you see what I am talking about.

M

Once the leather sayas project is off the ground, rolls will follow.

The design will be similar to rolls in the post above, that is pockets will hold blades (not handles) in sayas. These will be ready made and custom. Also rolls will be available for accessories and sharpening plates.

A quick update on this project.

A leather sewing machine is on order and the next step is to order leather and leather working tools.

The design of a roll is more or less set, as soon as the machine and the materials and tools are here, will go on making a prototype.

Design-wise, quality of materials and quality of workmanship, should be as good as best rolls on the market, but price wise it will be on par with rolls that don't even use stitching (just riveting).

Rolls will be three-ply construction.

A prototype will give you an idea and by then I should figure out the price.

M

Sounds exciting! Black rolls with white stitches would be cool for people with mainly black handled knives. Like me.

Back