Most excellent bagels

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
I was in two minds about where to post this. It really sort of belongs in the YouTube Awesome thread. But I decided to post here because it is insightful on more than one level.

For one, I think this is an outstanding example of how to make bagels. In fact, it is an outstanding example for how to cook just about anything. The didactics in this video are outstanding.

But what really struck me is how the pandemic has created not only catastrophes, but new opportunities. Let's face it: this is an (admittedly talented) cook in what looks like an ordinary domestic kitchen. Despite that, I thought that the video was really engaging, extremely well edited, with a soundtrack that truly works, and it never got boring.

There were probably at most three cameras involved and, most likely, only one camera person. And it all works—and very well, in my opinion. Without some test kitchen high up in a sky scraper, fancy recording equipment, a huge crew, and lots of expensive lighting.

I think this is encouraging. We'll always find a way to do things, and do them well. Pandemic or no pandemic.

Last edited:
Man.... Bagel, cream cheese, lox/gravlax, thinly sliced red onion capers... so hard to beat!

Looking forward to your pictures ;)

Let's face it: this is an (admittedly talented) cook

Claire was one of my favourite 'characters' in the BA-universe. While I am not particularly keen on desserts, she is a relatable and entertaining presenter. She looks like she has been very busy since the BA diaspora - producing content for New York Times, Vice and her own youtube channel. She has either learned the grift of the business well or surrounded her self with savy media managers. Go Claire!

in what looks like an ordinary domestic kitchen.

Oh @Michi! Thats what they want you to think :p I wouldn't be surprised if that is a New York Times kitchen. Her own kitchen features in some of the last content she produced for BA and in her new channel.

Looking forward to your pictures ;)
Made some fairly recently 😊

I wouldn't be surprised if that is a New York Times kitchen.
Sure. My point was that, prior to the pandemic, NYT probably would not have considered making a video in this style. Then, once the shutdowns happened, people tried making such videos, and they were rather woeful in terms of production value. (Thinking of some of the BA ones in Brad’s home kitchen.)

But now, less than a year later, they’ve figured it out, and we get a video with really high production value, made in what looks like a domestic kitchen.

I've been a fan of this recipe too. Making some right now.

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/sourdough-bagel/

The aforementioned sourdough bagels.

80996AC9-F106-4FDA-B58F-9EA73D765173.jpeg

Those are some splendid coffee mugs! ;) 😝

Well done! Delicious!

Back