Most Expensive Hobbies

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are the hobbies you spend the most money/time on? Here are mine, in no particular order:

1. Anything food related or general food supplies/prep/gear
1A. Kitchen Knives
2. Coffee gear
3. Guns
4. SCUBA
5. BBQ gear
6. Audio Equipment
7. Watches
8. Sports cards/memoribilia (not currently, early hobby)

Odd combination, but it works for me.

not to be picky but your 2, and 5 could also be considered a part of 1. Which would be very high on the list.

1. knives
2. natural waterstones
3. gardening
4. kitchen gadgets

Anything I get interested in...

Although my daughter is pushing my limits with her Photography interests OMG!!!

Motorcycles and stuff (Will be selling one soon)
Guns and ammo (A day at the rifle range will cost me $100)
Knives (Cut way back)
Watches (The movers stole my good ones, I only have three left)
Photography (I'm satisfied with my meager kit)

A/V Gear, I have an itemization of what I have spent thus far it is could have been a nice used car.
Knives
Food

Although I haven't bought any av or knives lately.

Great thread subject, with me it changes all the time in terms of what hobby/vice is most important. Currently this is how it stands...

1. Kitchen Knives
2. Fine Dining
3. Craft Beer
4. Guns
5. High End Audio
6. Golf

1. Tools - particularly hand tools
2. Audio - home and car
3. Skateboards (lol)
4. And now I guess Kitchen knives.

1. Cars/ track driving (lots of time time, most $)
2. Soccer (lots of time, not much $)
3. Cooking (lots of time, decent amount of $ for equipment such as knives)

High-end audio has dropped off quite a bit for me, as I do not have a good room for my equipment, and I have not bought any gear in ~5 years.

1. Guns/Hunting
2. Motorcycles
3. Saltwater Flyfishing
4. Woodworking/Tools
5. Audio (Thanks to 1,2,and 4 above this is no longer a problem.)

My top 4 expensive hobbies without my GF and my dogs and in that number

1. Bill
2. Devin
3. Marko
4. Harald aka Darkhoek

Used to be saltwater fishing.
Now it's the wife and kids, but it's worth it.

1. Collecting wines
2. Knives
3. Audio/Visual gear
4. Kitchen equipment

1. Knives
2.making computers
3. editing

I don't do much of 2 and 3 atm. But I can see doing 2 and 3 here in the very near future.

Before the crash of 2007-2008, my list would have looked like this.
1. guitars and amps........do you have any idea how many different "vintage reissue" models Gibson, Fender, Marshall and Martin make? Sheesh....it's tough keeping up!!
2a. custom knives
2b. stereo gear.
3. motorcycle (singular)

Today, my most expensive hobbies are.
1. trying to make knives.
2. Ramen noodles because making knives makes me broke. :biggrin:

1. Food and related stuff - includes knives, stones, mags, ingredients, books, wine.
2. Football or soccer, whichever way you call it.
3. Magic: The Gathering

Keep a log of what you like and dislike. Also what flavors you get from it. "wine list". Buy what you like. If all goes bad at least you can drink it.

As far as market goes have no idea. When I asked a Samalia (can't spell it, neither can my computer) friend, that was the advise he gave.

As a future retirement hobby, for those that collect wine, how do you suggest I start? BTW, I lived in wine country when I lived in Germany, so i've been around the trade.

Buy what you like to drink!!! Consider how much you drink and therefore how much you will need to buy short term 1-2 years, medium term 3-7 years or so and long term 7 years+.

We started out buying a lot of Napa Cabs, but the prices are getting too rich for us so we only buy a handful of these a year. We now buy a lot more local wine (we live 20 minutes from the Niagara region in Ontario) as we have become good customers and friends with some of the boutique wineries. This is what we buy for short and some medium term drinking.

I think a really good thing to do is read The Wine Spectator and/or subscribe to Robert Parker's Wine Advocate (although it's a bit pricey at $92/year) in order to familiarize yourself with wines, their aging potential and vintage recommendations.

Apart from local wines, we have been buying wines from regions that over deliver value-wise such as Rhone reds, German Rieslings, Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon, Argentinean Malbec, Sonoma Zinfandels, certain vintage Ports and Sauternes.

Hope that helps you out a bit.

eating is my most expensive hobby by far

:plus1: for now :biggrin:

......and continue:
with cameras/photography;
with audio;
wines - 1982 Bordeaux vintage and a DRC responsible for the journey;
coffee;
kitchen knives - but do not cook much :dontknow:

Keep a log of what you like and dislike. Also what flavors you get from it. "wine list". Buy what you like. If all goes bad at least you can drink it.

As far as market goes have no idea. When I asked a Samalia (can't spell it, neither can my computer) friend, that was the advise he gave.

I am a certified Sommelier and my dear old Dad always calls me a Somalian and that gives him a great laugh!

drugs
knives
doctors
drugs
surgery
drugs
my new girl, well I think she is, i haven't figured this hobby out yet.
collecting"stuff"
guns

Back