Mr. Drinky's Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I am starting this out with my most recent arrival (a modest start).

This is an 8" cleaver via Nathan's sale that has been polished up a bit and rehandled by Adam Marr. The handle wood is koa from Burl Source.

IMGP0840.jpgIMGP0841.jpgIMGP0842.jpg

k.

2nd knife. A Fowler W2 coming in at a tiny 168mm with coalish-brown colored leather sheath. Here are the specs from Fowler himself.

BEGIN QUOTE

W2 Steel Clay HT
168mm cutting edge
48mm tall at the heel
1.7mm thick at the heel

160 grams balances 5mm into the handle

just a little bit of Hamon but it's there
Full tapered tang - Black Linen Micarta scales

full convex grind

END QUOTE

I must say that this is probably my favorite knife right now. This was initially going to be my travel knife, but it has been used quite a bit in the short time I have had it and it will always be more than just a travel knife. I tried to take a picture to capture the hamon Fowler mentioned.

k.

IMGP0844.jpgIMGP0852.jpgIMGP0854.jpg

My Pettys. (is that the correct plural?). Anyhow, I might be forgetting the specs on these a bit, but the top one is a 150 Devin Thomas AEB-L snakeskin damascus petty from the Las Vegas knife show a year or so back. And the bottom knife is an Rodrigue O1 core damascus blade. I'd have to check on the handle material, but Pierre's work is stunning. Pierre's petty is one of my favorites, and it gets extensive use in the summer when fruit is in season.

k.

IMGP0859.jpgIMGP0862.jpgIMGP0860.jpg

Those Fowler's patina quickly, eh? Nice collection, the handle on your Rodrigue petty is stunning.

My 240mm Fowler hasn't developed a patina as quickly as the smaller one even though they are both W2, it must be what I am cutting. I have a lot more knives, but I might get lazy and do a class photo at some point.

k.

How dare you, we need individual (and preferably multiple) shots of each knife! :viking:

Take the day off work tomorrow and finish up! Very nice kit so far.

Wow! That cleaver turned out really, really well.
Have you wacked anything with it yet? Turkey carcass for stock? Trees for firewood? Zombies for fun?

What's the steel? Mystery, vintage carbon? Convex edge?

Ok, next batch.

The top knife (my first J-knife) was a gift from my wife. It is an SG2 165mm Mr. Tanaka santoku with ironwood handle. It was because of that knife that I looked into sharpening, posted on KnifeForums to figure it out...and well...you know the rest of the story.

The knife below that is my 6.5 sun (197mm) Carter HG Fukugozai. I am still amazed at how this things sails through food.

IMGP0871.jpgIMGP0874.jpg

And lastly (for now), we all have them or at least HAD them at one time. This batch of knives are the ones I married into. They serve as decoys for relatives to use, and this strategy works like a charm. They get used often when family visits. But I will admit that I put ALL of them into the dishwasher because I secretly hope they will die a hot, moist death.

Please note that I have included my letter opener in this photo. After countless times being used as a knife by family, it is an honorary knife in my house, but about six months ago I finally labelled it to clear up the confusion and prevent it from going into the dishwasher.

k.

IMGP0880.jpgIMGP0881.jpg

Nice stuff!! Thanks for sharing

Yes, and here's to the unabashed Cutco exhibitionists! :wink:

Am with you on the Carter though...
Have a bunch of knives, but the li'l Carter sprout when in hand, seems somehow mojo'd to cut things easier and thinner above the others. :shocked3:

Yes, and here's to the unabashed Cutco exhibitionists!

Don't get me wrong, I hate Cutco. That serrated Cutco puts me in a bad mood whenever I see it, but I strangely I don't mind the stubby parer for strawberries that much. It has a good geometry/handle to de-stem strawberries, but that was about all it was good at. However, my Grandmother just died a couple weeks ago and she had a whole set of Cutcos mounted on the wall, and I came really close to taking them, but then I though I would never get rid of them and I would have to live with them forever.

k.

...Please note that I have included my letter opener in this photo. After countless times being used as a knife by family, it is an honorary knife in my house, but about six months ago I finally labelled it to clear up the confusion and prevent it from going into the dishwasher...
:rofl2: Looks like a great kid knife for bananas n such. Lemme know if you ever want to get rid of your Carter. I'm looking for one just about that size. :D

Wow! That cleaver turned out really, really well.
Have you wacked anything with it yet? Turkey carcass for stock? Trees for firewood? Zombies for fun?

What's the steel? Mystery, vintage carbon? Convex edge?

Hmmm. No, I haven't whacked anything with it yet, turkey came too late and the zombies don't come until Christmas...oh wait, I mean the relatives come at Christmas...not zombies. Steel is a mystery and it is all polished now, so I will have to wait to see how the steel reacts. It looks stainless, but there is some pitting on both sides.

k.

That metal parer in the bottom is the knife that tried to take my brother's thumb off when we were kids.

Mr Drinky, I noticed you said your Tanaka santoku was made with SG2 steel but in fact it is R2.

I have the 240 Tanaka gyuto in R2 and I feel it is one of the best knife steels out there.

Mr Drinky, I noticed you said your Tanaka santoku was made with SG2 steel but in fact it is R2.

I have the 240 Tanaka gyuto in R2 and I feel it is one of the best knife steels out there.

Unless I'm mistaken, Tanaka ran through a few different steels for that particular line. I'm pretty sure there's a cowry x version out there in addition to sg2 and r2

Unless I'm mistaken, Tanaka ran through a few different steels for that particular line. I'm pretty sure there's a cowry x version out there in addition to sg2 and r2

OK, I did not realize that.

Thanks James for pointing that out.

Mr. Drinky, just ignore me.

Yeah, I think the current ones are R2, but mine was before that and likely after cowry x. By the time I knew enough about knives to care about exact steels and checked what the knife was made of he was making them in sg2 I think, so I assumed that was the steel. I might be wrong though. It was a gift after all.

k.

However, my Grandmother just died a couple weeks ago and she had a whole set of Cutcos mounted on the wall, and I came really close to taking them, but then I though I would never get rid of them and I would have to live with them forever.

k.

Sincere condolences on the loss of your Granny. Having one of her Gutco knives might be a nice ironic memento, though?

That Tanaka is a beautiful knife. I don't usually covet damascus, but yours is an exception. I love the handle on it too (including the pins).

Sorry for the loss of your grandmother K.

Thanks for the condolences Johnny and Spike. She was pretty healthy went in for surgery and just never woke up. I guess that happens, but it is always a surprise it seems.

k.

My grandmother is about to turn 101 and is contemplating a shoulder surgery, which she says she is prepared to not wake up from (I'm not sure the rest of us feel the same way, but I hate to see her in pain, so the risk seems worth it). If you have to go, I suppose that is as good and peaceful a way as any. Hopefully your grandmother lived a good long life and you all have happy memories of your time with her.

Do not look at Japanesechefknife.com then or you will be sorry!

I forgot that Koki carries these (he already owes me a Masamoto KS gyuto and petty, so I have been staying away from his website until they arrive).

Turns out "The Best Things" carries the line as well. And they look pretty good. Prettay, prettay, prettay, pretty good. ;)

http://thebestthings.com/knives/tanaka.htm

Back