Mr. Tanaka Has Passed Away

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry, this is just a repost from KF, but on the other forum Mark mentioned that Mr. Tanaka has died. My first J-knife was a Tanaka (top knife). Just in case you don't check the other forum.

k.

IMGP0874.jpg

I read the other post previously. That being said. The loss of an amazing craftsman.

Damn. I agree, his work was pretty great. Hopefully his son can carry it on and keep the quality where it was.
Regardless, it's very sad news.

Sad to hear this. My second and third J-knives were Tanaka.

His son, Shigeki san, is an awesome guy, as well. I corresponded some interest in his knives, and he sent me NINE to play with!!!! The R2 ' s are truly stunning.

do we know absolutely for certain, has anyone gotten ahold of those that would know?

Never got to try his knives but always had them on my short list. Rip

do we know absolutely for certain, has anyone gotten ahold of those that would know?

No. I did ask Koki, and he said that he hadn't heard the news yet, but mentioned that he had battled cancer in the past. Mark at CKTG does carry his knives, so I imagine he got the info through his retail relationship with Tanaka.

k.

Does anybody know of a culturally acceptable way for us(read: me) to show condolences? I really am bummed about this, and feel his family should know what he means to people all over the world(read: me).

Maybe a gift mailed over or something?

His sons recent Facebook posts would imply it is true. I too was wondering the correct way to offer condolences...

Back