MTC 20% Sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

M1k3

Reaction score
Thank you for the heads up. That midsized hasegawa is already out of stock. I just bought the small one, which has a size similar to my baby board from the boardsmith. I hope it would pair with Asahi nicely.

Besides, anyone know why MTC charges tax while KNS NY doesn't? I live in CT if that matters.
I believe KnS is in Brooklyn and MTCKitchen is in Manhattan. Not sure if that really makes a difference? 🤷‍♂️

jacko9

Reaction score
Whats the difference between those cheaper Hasegawa boards and the FSR line? Are they worth the extra wedge?
The boards I purchased were these; Hasegawa Wood Core Soft Rubber Cutting Board 17.3" x 11.4" x 0.8" ht

I would have liked to get the brown coated boards but the smaller size is out of stock and the larger boards won't fit.

jacko9

Reaction score
Thank you for the heads up. That midsized hasegawa is already out of stock. I just bought the small one, which has a size similar to my baby board from the boardsmith. I hope it would pair with Asahi nicely.

Besides, anyone know why MTC charges tax while KNS NY doesn't? I live in CT if that matters.
I live in California and I wasn't charged sales tax

Corradobrit1

Reaction score
The boards I purchased were these; Hasegawa Wood Core Soft Rubber Cutting Board 17.3" x 11.4" x 0.8" ht

I would have liked to get the brown coated boards but the smaller size is out of stock and the larger boards won't fit.

Anyone have experience of both boards and the benefits of the more expensive FSR?

Ultrafiche

Reaction score

MTC probably has a sales tax nexus in CT, while KnS doesn't (too small, no operations in CT).

jacko9

Reaction score
Anyone have experience of both boards and the benefits of the more expensive FSR?
If you're speaking about the two boards I mentioned a comment mentioned that the brown is a hardware board. The smaller size brown coated board won't be back in stick until September or so.

coffeelover191919

Reaction score
MTC lost me. I was in the market for the Shapton 2k, They had it for $55 shipped (+delay, +$100 for FS + NYC Tax). Amazon for $50 + tax. Got it from Fendrihan for $45.50 shipped, no tax + free small gift.

Hz_zzzzzz

Reaction score
I live in California and I wasn't charged sales tax
Lucky you.

MTC probably has a sales tax nexus in CT, while KnS doesn't (too small, no operations in CT).
Thank you. It's usually not a big deal until they had that 270 Takamura Hana suji in stock. I pulled the trigger regardless but I think the $45 difference deserves a queston. : )

Corradobrit1

Reaction score
If you're speaking about the two boards I mentioned a comment mentioned that the brown is a hardware board. The smaller size brown coated board won't be back in stick until September or so.
They are both wood core boards covered in soft polypropylene.

muru

Reaction score
Yea quite unfortunate, 24x12 is really the only size that makes sense for my kitchen. 17" is too short and my kitchen is too small for the 30"+.

Also believe KnS has an 8% discount code for NYer's only to offset the tax.

muru

Reaction score
They are both wood core boards covered in soft polypropylene.
Yes but the brown board is made of harder (not hard) material. More stain resistant and can take a bit more abusive cutting (relatively, still can't abuse it) but not as nice on the edge.

The above is per Barclid who works at MTC

jacko9

Reaction score
Yea quite unfortunate, 24x12 is really the only size that makes sense for my kitchen. 17" is too short and my kitchen is too small for the 30"+.

Also believe KnS has an 8% discount code for NYer's only to offset the tax.
Yes I agree that the 24" long size is more ideal but, I spoke with two different people at MTC and it seems like some Asian vendor bought a very large quantity of that size and there will be a shortage for some months. I may buy one when they are back in stock.

Corradobrit1

Reaction score
Yes but the brown board is made of harder (not hard) material. More stain resistant and can take a bit more abusive cutting (relatively, still can't abuse it) but not as nice on the edge.

The above is per Barclid who works at MTC
I imagine the harder (not hard) feel is more optimal for cutting feedback and satisfaction while cutting.

jacko9

Reaction score
I imagine the harder (not hard) feel is more optimal for cutting feedback and satisfaction while cutting.
I'll try one of each when the brown size come back in stock. I thought about buying the larger size and cutting it on my table saw but, I was discouraged to leave the open edge so I'll wait.

Corradobrit1

Reaction score
I'll try one of each when the brown size come back in stock. I thought about buying the larger size and cutting it on my table saw but, I was discouraged to leave the open edge so I'll wait.
I don't see why others would recommend against cutting the larger board. All you would need to do is seal the cut end to prevent water infiltration and therefore warpage.
I'd go halves with you.

panda

O.G.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see why others would recommend against cutting the larger board. All you would need to do is seal the cut end to prevent water infiltration and therefore warpage.
I'd go halves with you.
Because the core is wood.

jacko9

Reaction score
I'd go halves with you.
Thats what I originally thought but thinking about the layup of the construction - cutting off a synthetic layer seal could potentially cause the board to warp. It's too expensive to give it a try.

Corradobrit1

Reaction score
Thats what I originally thought but thinking about the layup of the construction - cutting off a synthetic layer seal could potentially cause the board to warp. It's too expensive to give it a try.
I was only half serious. I need another board like I need a hole in the head.

panda

O.G.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just seal exposed wood and job done. Or epoxy a rubber strip. Its not rocket science.
yeah no thanks. thats like taking a 300mm gyuto and turning it into a 210mm, just cut 90mm off, it's not rocket science.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
That's not rocket science, that's a Ktip!

Latest posts