MTC 20% Sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are these Hasegawa cutting boards even better than a beautiful dark end grain cutting board? Cuz they're equal or more expensive... whats the pros and cons of these 2?

I have an end grain walnut board and I'd like a Hasagawa to compare it with because I have a bunch of very nice knives that I would like to retain the edge as long as possible.

A comparison is probably upthread or in one of the many other threads about boards but synopsis is:

A board can be a nice piece of kitchen "furniture", they are however heavy and do not lend themselves to being washed in the sink and certainly not in the dishwasher. I keep mine (Boardsmith and Boos) where I can wipe them down and avoid cutting raw product on them.

The sani-tuff and other rubber boards are much easier to move around and thoroughly clean in the sink. I can and do cut anything and everything on them. However they are ugly as sin and the thinner ones (1/2") can be prone to warping.

As far as I can determine they are equally good for the knife edges. If you like the "nice" kitchen look, and/or there is a Mrs Coffee Lover involved, the wooden board may be the better choice.

If your kitchen is more utilitarian the rubber type board may be the better choice.

And there's no reason to not have both.

Question for everyone. If you were to share a cutting board with someone that only cares about ease of use and cleaning, should they just stick with poly boards?

Asking for a friend...

Back not long ago i supplemented my "good" wooden board by dropping an Epicurean board on top of it for raw.

Decent boards on their own, look good, better than poly on edges, dishwasher safe.

Still use one for yard bird and fish.

Question for everyone. If you were to share a cutting board with someone that only cares about ease of use and cleaning, should they just stick with poly boards?

Asking for a friend...
yes, when u share with someone that doesn't appreciate things the same way you do... you always decrease to the lowest common denominator.

Thanks but nobody has answered my question; can i cut this board?

I don't know for certain, but I'm going to bet that you can't. These boards are wood that is encapsulated with the rubber. If you cut it, you are going to expose the core and thus eliminating the benefit of the encapsulation.

Here is a picture off of the Hasegawa website that shows the construction:

FSR_Sub.jpg

Ya I doubt they advise you to cut it. The hasegawa has that multi construction. You could probably cut an asahi. They likely have smaller sizes though so you wouldn’t have to cut anything. It might be a special order.

If MTC kitchen was having a memorial day sale... it should've been up by now =(

If/When they have their next 20% off... what knives / stones / boards are everyone getting? They required $100 for free shipping.

Boards don't qualify for free shipping. :/ and unless you pay for 2-day shipping, it'll take them two weeks to process an order.

I don't know for certain, but I'm going to bet that you can't. These boards are wood that is encapsulated with the rubber. If you cut it, you are going to expose the core and thus eliminating the benefit of the encapsulation.

Here is a picture off of the Hasegawa website that shows the construction:

View attachment 81345
I suspect you're correct. I have sent MTC questions twice asking about this board and I suspect that cutting the larger size is not appropriate. I wanted to know if they sold a sealer but, I suspect that they only sell the larger sizes to restaurants or to people that leave their boards on the counter.

Yeah sorry, I just saw that question. Those product questions are handled on another platform so sometimes I miss them. I really wouldn't recommend it. They make a smaller PE wood core board but we've had some issues sourcing it. Apparently one of their other (foreign) wholesalers purchased a very large quantity and they ran out. Our turnaround to get new product online is also suffering right now since more than half the workforce is working remote. You can cut the single-construction boards from them but it's not a service that we offer ourselves.

As for the next sale, we usually have a store-wide sale in June as I mentioned before but since it was also in April and extended into May I don't know if it's been pushed back yet. There are also other 24 hour sales we do that are usually more restricted in scope but a deeper discount. I'll ask the person in charge of e-commerce.

I don't care about the shipping time but since I can't cut the larger board to fit the under the counter space I was wondering if the smaller board 11.4" x 17.3" is large enough? The brown board is 11.8" x 23.6" but it's OOS at the moment, a little harder and a little larger. Korin has a larger Hi - Soft board that can be cut available an 15.4" x 33.1" or a 16.5" x 47.2" which will allow me to have two boards. Decisions, decisions!

I went ahead and got two Hasegawa cutting boards (one for my granddaughter). I would have bought the Hasegawa brown but the size I need is back ordered until this fall. Still 20% off on the boards is great it covers the shipping charges plus.

Thank you for the heads up. That midsized hasegawa is already out of stock. I just bought the small one, which has a size similar to my baby board from the boardsmith. I hope it would pair with Asahi nicely.

Besides, anyone know why MTC charges tax while KNS NY doesn't? I live in CT if that matters.

Last edited:
Whats the difference between those cheaper Hasegawa boards and the FSR line? Are they worth the extra wedge?

Back