MTC 20% Sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the heads up. That midsized hasegawa is already out of stock. I just bought the small one, which has a size similar to my baby board from the boardsmith. I hope it would pair with Asahi nicely.

Besides, anyone know why MTC charges tax while KNS NY doesn't? I live in CT if that matters.
I believe KnS is in Brooklyn and MTCKitchen is in Manhattan. Not sure if that really makes a difference? 🤷‍♂️

Thank you for the heads up. That midsized hasegawa is already out of stock. I just bought the small one, which has a size similar to my baby board from the boardsmith. I hope it would pair with Asahi nicely.

Besides, anyone know why MTC charges tax while KNS NY doesn't? I live in CT if that matters.
I live in California and I wasn't charged sales tax

MTC probably has a sales tax nexus in CT, while KnS doesn't (too small, no operations in CT).

Anyone have experience of both boards and the benefits of the more expensive FSR?

If you're speaking about the two boards I mentioned a comment mentioned that the brown is a hardware board. The smaller size brown coated board won't be back in stick until September or so.

MTC lost me. I was in the market for the Shapton 2k, They had it for $55 shipped (+delay, +$100 for FS + NYC Tax). Amazon for $50 + tax. Got it from Fendrihan for $45.50 shipped, no tax + free small gift.

I live in California and I wasn't charged sales tax
Lucky you.

MTC probably has a sales tax nexus in CT, while KnS doesn't (too small, no operations in CT).

Thank you. It's usually not a big deal until they had that 270 Takamura Hana suji in stock. I pulled the trigger regardless but I think the $45 difference deserves a queston. : )

If you're speaking about the two boards I mentioned a comment mentioned that the brown is a hardware board. The smaller size brown coated board won't be back in stick until September or so.
They are both wood core boards covered in soft polypropylene.

Yea quite unfortunate, 24x12 is really the only size that makes sense for my kitchen. 17" is too short and my kitchen is too small for the 30"+.

Also believe KnS has an 8% discount code for NYer's only to offset the tax.

They are both wood core boards covered in soft polypropylene.

Yes but the brown board is made of harder (not hard) material. More stain resistant and can take a bit more abusive cutting (relatively, still can't abuse it) but not as nice on the edge.

The above is per Barclid who works at MTC

Yea quite unfortunate, 24x12 is really the only size that makes sense for my kitchen. 17" is too short and my kitchen is too small for the 30"+.

Also believe KnS has an 8% discount code for NYer's only to offset the tax.

Yes I agree that the 24" long size is more ideal but, I spoke with two different people at MTC and it seems like some Asian vendor bought a very large quantity of that size and there will be a shortage for some months. I may buy one when they are back in stock.

Yes but the brown board is made of harder (not hard) material. More stain resistant and can take a bit more abusive cutting (relatively, still can't abuse it) but not as nice on the edge.

The above is per Barclid who works at MTC
I imagine the harder (not hard) feel is more optimal for cutting feedback and satisfaction while cutting.

I imagine the harder (not hard) feel is more optimal for cutting feedback and satisfaction while cutting.

I'll try one of each when the brown size come back in stock. I thought about buying the larger size and cutting it on my table saw but, I was discouraged to leave the open edge so I'll wait.

I'll try one of each when the brown size come back in stock. I thought about buying the larger size and cutting it on my table saw but, I was discouraged to leave the open edge so I'll wait.
I don't see why others would recommend against cutting the larger board. All you would need to do is seal the cut end to prevent water infiltration and therefore warpage.
I'd go halves with you.

I don't see why others would recommend against cutting the larger board. All you would need to do is seal the cut end to prevent water infiltration and therefore warpage.
I'd go halves with you.
Thats what I originally thought but thinking about the layup of the construction - cutting off a synthetic layer seal could potentially cause the board to warp. It's too expensive to give it a try.

Thats what I originally thought but thinking about the layup of the construction - cutting off a synthetic layer seal could potentially cause the board to warp. It's too expensive to give it a try.
I was only half serious. I need another board like I need a hole in the head.

Back