Much Help Needed Regarding Japanese Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess i should post the other side of the 270 bulk prep spectrum, cheflivengood with his shiigehiro 270 gyuto, which is a sakai knife so its like 15 mm shorter than the toyama. It's also probably around 52 mm in heel height, vs toyama 58. The ginga is a sakai style knife, and it also has machi, which is that extra wide neck of the blade. See what you prefer, if any.

Wow that is a sleek profile and excellent video, great skills! Beautiful knife!

Thank you so much for the kind words and yes I have dived right in to this Rabbit hole with no exit in sight haha! I am going to exercise restraint and try what I have purchased...once I get a better feel for things I will narrow down my selections to maybe some other types of knives that would help with my duties...

One major thing that will determine the price of future purchases is if you get into blingy handles. One major difference between some great Japanese makers and some excellent customs you can get is the great looks you can get in addition to performance.

For the sake of full trasperancy I did order the Toyama 270, thank you so much for the suggestion and I really liked the look of that knife as well as all of the positive feedback on it. Everything else for my “starter kit” I am getting through Jon at JKI.

Toyama 270 is an excellent knife to start with, to finish with and to enjoy the journey with. I am glad to hear you have purchased one. Enjoy it.

After that, just listen to Jon at JKI ....

One major thing that will determine the price of future purchases is if you get into blingy handles. One major difference between some great Japanese makers and some excellent customs you can get is the great looks you can get in addition to performance.

Very true! There really is no end to this...one must exercise self control lol

I would also get a paring knife. You said you are removing silver skin and the like.

Ask Jon ...

Yes I do a lot of silver skin removal and fat removal from large cuts of meat.

I am glad to have so much support for the way I’m proceeding! And so many suggestions moving forward!!

Thank you!

Yes I do a lot of silver skin removal and fat removal from large cuts of meat.

I am glad to have so much support for the way I’m proceeding! And so many suggestions moving forward!!

Thank you!

I do think a Petty will be next. I am awaiting my goodies from JKI and they should arrive tomorrow. I’ll post some pictures and I will also have a bunch of prep work to do tomorrow at which point I will try out the new goodies!

How was everything received? All worked out well for you?

Hopefully you enjoy it ... i have a blue 1 shinogi mizuno and i love it, i wish i started with it.

How was everything received? All worked out well for you?

Hopefully you enjoy it ... i have a blue 1 shinogi mizuno and i love it, i wish i started with it.

Everything is going awesome!! I am waiting to use them a little more before I post an update but the difference in productivity and ease of prep is measurable. The kiritsuke may be my fave!

Latest posts

Back