Multi-tools and steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoteRotie

Reaction score
My experience with multi-tools including the Leathermans is that they are mostly made of soft tool steel. It's easy to bend the flat screwdriver on a stubborn screw, mangle the Philips, and dull the knife. Does anyone have a recommendation for a multi-tool with reasonably hardened steel? Do they not harden these things for cost reasons or is there some other reason?

I have a Leatherman Skeletool.
It has a bit driver instead of using captured bits.
Unfortunately it seems to be a proprietary rectangular bit, so off the shelf bits won't work.
The included Flat 1 & 2 and Philips 1 & 2 bits are hardened and of good quality.
https://www.leatherman.com/skeletool-18.html

The blade is 420HC junk, but it does open/close one handed.

I use the Kershaw Select Fire. It is basically a knife with a bit driver. So far I like it. The blade is 8cr13moV. Crappy but good enough for breaking down boxes and cutting packaging. It comes with four screwdriver bits that have so far worked well. The bits are standard hex jobs too so you could switch the included ones for whatever you needed.

Great info guys, thanks. I didn't know about the Skeletool, and the multi-tool steel chart somewhat confirms my experience. Seems like there's some room for someone to make a multi-tool out of some better steels.....

I'm suddenly feeling the urge to make my own blade with which to install on a stock leatherman, if that's possible.
I had a carbon fibre version of the Skeletool for a whole week before someone stole it from my bag at work. I never got to properly test the blade steel for edge retention, but I remember the edge being super toothy/very low grit.

I'm suddenly feeling the urge to make my own blade with which to install on a stock leatherman, if that's possible.
I had a carbon fibre version of the Skeletool for a whole week before someone stole it from my bag at work. I never got to properly test the blade steel for edge retention, but I remember the edge being super toothy/very low grit.
Honyaki 52100 Leatherman. I like it!

Back