Munetoshi 210 slicer or Gesshin Kagekiyo 210 petty for chicken breasts?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viggetorr

Reaction score
My rather extensive hunt for a new knife to handle raw boneless protein such as chicken breasts is nearing its end, in large part thanks to the members of this forum. I have narrowed my search down to two knives: the Munetoshi slicer or the Gesshin Kagekiyo petty. Both 210mm, both in shirogami 2.

Munetoshi (top knife)
17662661_101018287115964_3477750408162574336_n.jpg

Kagekiyo
FU9A6555.JPG

I much prefer the looks of the Kagekiyo. It also has carbon cladding (only have stainless clad knives atm, so I consider that a pro) and vastly superior F&F and a better handle. However, I have a feeling that the profile of the Munetoshi might be better for cutting raw chicken breasts, as it will allow me to pull cut with the handle raised while keeping the front end of the knife in contact with the board (see movement starting a 2:22 in video below and picture a petty instead of a cleaver), without risking the pointy tip of the Kagekiyo digging into the board.

[video=youtube;3pS-mLc1m00]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pS-mLc1m00&t=2m22s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pS-mLc1m00&t=2m22s[/video]

The reason I'm thinking I may want to angle the knife in such a way is to avoid hitting the board with my knuckles, while still keeping the lower height of a petty as compared to a higher gyuto. Of course, with the Kagekiyo you can use the same type of technique but with the tip of the knife and the handle in the same height, but wouldn't that be limiting as well as forcing you to keep your hand outside the cutting board?

Am I overthinking the difference in performance the profile will result in? Which of these knives would you go for in my situation?

Please help an ambivalent customer!

Both will do fine. I personally would (and will) get a nice 270 or 300 fuguhiky and enjoy playing with it [emoji846]

Both will do fine. I personally would (and will) get a nice 270 or 300 fuguhiky and enjoy playing with it [emoji846]
I was about to say the same thing...I'd use a 270+ slicer (yanagiba for raw chicken breasts is like a hot knife though butter) but a yanagiba doesn't have too many other uses apart from raw fish

I already use a 180 single bevel petty from Ittetsu when working with boneless meat and enjoy it a lot.

No help other than to say that I see no reason you couldn't draw cut with the Kagekiyo.

Thanks for the input guys!

Let's make it simple: Start with the munetoshi (~$167) and list it on BST if it doesn't work for you. Then you can get the kagekiyo ($290).

The beauty of BST is that you basically can end up paying a relatively small amount to demo a knfe.

That’s a good idea of course, I’m just afraid I’ll end up settling with the Mune when I could’ve been happier with the Kagekiyo! ;)

No help other than to say that I see no reason you couldn't draw cut with the Kagekiyo.

You wouldn’t consider the pointy tip a problem for this?

I’m just admiring that top photo. [emoji4]

Haha, yeah thanks! Hard to find good pictures of the slicer. How do you like it?

Haha, yeah thanks! Hard to find good pictures of the slicer. How do you like it?

I really like the slicer, especially for raw protein. That’s pretty much why I bought it. I ended up knocking that original handle off though and replacing it with a bigger, heavier burnt chestnut handle and the knife now serves at work as a big boning/ small breaking knife in a teeny little butcher shop. I ended up preferring the Itinomonn sujihiki in the pic below to slice proteins in the manner you’re describing.

FWIW I think you’re looking at slicing as a motion that requires pulling your hand up at the end. Try slicing by pulling straight back, all the way from heel to tip, across the protein and letting the edge and the blade fall through the protein. There should be little or no pulling up at the end. There’s no need to dig the point into the board at all. If you were to plot a course, slicing should be way more of a straight line than the check mark or Nike swoosh sort of line I think you’re imagining.

For chicken breasts both knives will do.
The Munetoshi has more butchery profile,
the Kagekiyo looks more beautiful.
I think that 21cm petty/sujihikis are not very versatile knives.
I use them basically for fish filleting, the European way, instead of the Deba way.
I think the Munetoshi will be more versatile.
Get the Munetoshi slicer and the Kagekiyo in gyuto

I ended up preferring the Itinomonn sujihiki in the pic below to slice proteins in the manner you’re describing.

How did you handle knuckle clearence with the Iti?

FWIW I think you’re looking at slicing as a motion that requires pulling your hand up at the end. Try slicing by pulling straight back, all the way from heel to tip, across the protein and letting the edge and the blade fall through the protein. There should be little or no pulling up at the end. There’s no need to dig the point into the board at all. If you were to plot a course, slicing should be way more of a straight line than the check mark or Nike swoosh sort of line I think you’re imagining.

I see! I'll have to practice the movement a bit with my other flat profile knives and see how that feels. My only concern is the question above!

For chicken breasts both knives will do.
The Munetoshi has more butchery profile,
the Kagekiyo looks more beautiful.
I think that 21cm petty/sujihikis are not very versatile knives.
I use them basically for fish filleting, the European way, instead of the Deba way.
I think the Munetoshi will be more versatile.
Get the Munetoshi slicer and the Kagekiyo in gyuto

Thanks for the input! I already have knives for most tasks, and as I cut a lot of boneless protein I feel a knife that excels at that is more worth to me than a more versatile gyuto.

Of your knife is sharp it's not like you need the tip to finish the cut...flat profil should work just fine for this. That said, ultimately you should buy the knife you think is right for you.

FYI...You can get 15% off the munetoshi on JNS from today until Feb 4th using "mazamuni" discount code

I'm impressed by how many weeks you've spent on this decision.

Back