Munetoshi All Around?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one on the way, supposedly the tip is a a lot thinner than usual Munetoshi so more detail work possible there.

Going from 4.8 mm at heel to 0.5 mm 1 cm from tip is also very nice taper.

Cool.

The taper definitely got my attention.

Love to know your thoughts after using it. :)

I wanted to buy the 165 mm petty when on sale but it looked redundant with my setup. Good knife for the buck! I think needs some work done to bring their full potential out.

TBH, the munetoshi 165mm petty is kind of the perfect all around knife already. That said I tend to not like the jack of all trades style knives. I have a huge collection of different styles so I might as well use the right knife for the job.

The 165 is a solid tall petty if you're willing to put a little work into it and deal with reactivity. This one looks like a nice step up, halfway between a 180 bunka and 210 gyuto. Reminds me a little of a HF small gyuto (like 195x53?) I borrowed from Malcolm for a while. Great 'live on the board' size but I'd go for something calmer than Munetoshi ironclad white #2 personally...

The 165 is a solid tall petty if you're willing to put a little work into it and deal with reactivity. This one looks like a nice step up, halfway between a 180 bunka and 210 gyuto. Reminds me a little of a HF small gyuto (like 195x53?) I borrowed from Malcolm for a while. Great 'live on the board' size but I'd go for something calmer than Munetoshi ironclad white #2 personally...

My Munetoshi 210 isn't bad at all. No rust issues.

Yeah, mine didn't have a ton of reactivity issues either; it might be a local humidity thing.
Definitely not humidity where I'm at, I'm one step removed from a desert. To be clear, it wasn't rusting at the drop of a hat but definitely more reactive than most other ironclad knives I've used, up there with Mazaki.

My Munetoshi all-rounder arrived, and it was... all right.

It came with some pretty big secondary bevels, so it's nice and thick for butchery and such, but not so nice for cutting performance. The tip was also thicker than advertised, about the same thickness at the tip as a usual Munetoshi gyuto.

Another downside is my sample came with a bent edge, the spine is straight but the left bevel is curved 2 mm off a flat surface whilst the right bevel stayed relatively close to the flat - basically a recurved edge.

This made thinning and polishing a massive pain. The right bevel was thinned and polished decently without much damage to the KU. The left bevel however was a nightmare to polish cleanly without some kind of scratching, unwanted damage to the KU and unwanted low spot creation. I got cut 3 times polishing the left bevel because the curved edge was elevated on the stone surface. And it's not easy bending the edge back straight, like I said the spine is straight but the edge is curved - the knife is basically twisted.

Anyways, this is not really a review, it's just my thoughts on it. I really wanted to enjoy this one as a bigger utility knife, but the curved edge and thinning issues killed most of my excitement for it.

I hope your Munetoshi all-rounder is nicer if you purchased one. It's a good knife for the price, just not one for me.

It came with some pretty big secondary bevels, so it's nice and thick for butchery and such, but not so nice for cutting performance. The tip was also thicker than advertised, about the same thickness at the tip as a usual Munetoshi gyuto.

Another downside is my sample came with a bent edge, the spine is straight but the left bevel is curved 2 mm off a flat surface whilst the right bevel stayed relatively close to the flat - basically a recurved edge.

This made thinning and polishing a massive pain. The right bevel was thinned and polished decently without much damage to the KU. The left bevel however was a nightmare to polish cleanly without some kind of scratching, unwanted damage to the KU and unwanted low spot creation. I got cut 3 times polishing the left bevel because the curved edge was elevated on the stone surface. And it's not easy bending the edge back straight, like I said the spine is straight but the edge is curved - the knife is basically twisted.

Anyways, this is not really a review, it's just my thoughts on it. I really wanted to enjoy this one as a bigger utility knife, but the curved edge and thinning issues killed most of my excitement for it.

I hope your Munetoshi all-rounder is nicer if you purchased one. It's a good knife for the price, just not one for me.
Why haven't you returned it?

Why haven't you returned it?

Maxim is away during holidays so any JNS orders or returns would be on hold, and returning is a pain right now when I have my own vacation to enjoy.

I already messed with it though thinning it so I'm not sure returning is even a valid option anymore.

Thanks for the report out. Appreciated. Shame you got a bummer.

I love mine. It's a great profile, just big enough for most day to day tasks while remaining very nimble, robust at the heel, thinner up front. Mine could use a little extra work. I'd like the front third a little thinner. But I'm not planning to put in much work on this. I've already swapped out the handle and am dialing it in as I go.

For my 240, I put in a fair amount of work, evening out the bevels and thinning, rounding and polishing the choil and spine. This one has been pretty comfortable from the get go.

I especially love the heat treat for an everyday knife. It takes a great edge, but it's tough enough that I don't worry about crusty bread, avocado pits, nuts, and so forth.

Back