Munetoshi grind(?) issue - advice needed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

why-am-i-bleeding

Reaction score
This is a BNIB 240mm Munetoshi. The right side of the bevel lays perfectly flat, but the left doesn’t lay flush when laid on a (very, very flat) stone. I’m worried this curvature will affect sharpening in the future. Does this warrant a return or can this be fixed? Is this a high spot on the bevel that I can grind out? I love my Munetoshis a lot but I know their FF is not spectacular. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks
EB68681F-1888-42E4-A8F2-F933208CAE67.jpeg
2906E25C-1FC1-4F67-80FA-5C01EC12F780.jpeg

It looks like a potential bend. Can you spot the problem when looking down the spine and edge (without resting it against the stone)?

It looks like a potential bend. Can you spot the problem when looking down the spine and edge (without resting it against the stone)?
Try putting just the edge on the stone. Sometimes distal taper/grind can prevent the knife from sitting flat if much of its side is on the stone, and so can make a straight knife appear bent.

What's it look like on the other side? If it's a bend, it should be the opposite on the other side.

Last edited:
How does it cut? I have a couple that looked like there‘s no way they should be able to cut straight but they do, because the edge is straight. And then I’ve had a couple that look like they wouldn’t cut straight and they sure don’t.

Back