Munetoshi gyutos anyone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to bump this, but could anyone give me the height measurement for the 210 KU gyuto? It's listed at 50mm at JNS but I have read here that the 240mm is 50mm tall so they might have mixed it up.

Panda has/had a 210mm munetoshi. He could tell you, I believe it really is 50mm tall.

I've got one of the 165mm pettys and it's actually a really good line knife/all around small knife. Great clearance and height for something that length and easy to tuck out of the way.

Also, in a pinch it'll do just fine doing some bigger knife jobs (cutting a large potato, cleaving an apple, slicing some meat etc..

Its a knife worth having in just about any kitchen/setting. Also, after it patinas a little it's not very reactive, calms down quite quickly

I've got one of the 165mm pettys and it's actually a really good line knife/all around small knife. Great clearance and height for something that length and easy to tuck out of the way.

Also, in a pinch it'll do just fine doing some bigger knife jobs (cutting a large potato, cleaving an apple, slicing some meat etc..

Its a knife worth having in just about any kitchen/setting. Also, after it patinas a little it's not very reactive, calms down quite quickly

You taken it to the Aizu yet?

Thank's Captain - that would be great! - and Jaknil

The butcher gets much praise, unfortunately I wouldn't have much use for it at home. Besides the 210, I'm also eyeing the 165 petty. Don't really need a petty right now, but for the price... would be a good knife to improve my sharpening / polishing skills

Ok here we go...

First time doing this only on the phone but I can confirm it's 50 at the heel.

Love all my Mune knives.

1496973105916.jpg

So the only mune I don't own is the slicer. For those who say you don't need a butcher..just have a chicken breast part like the sea of Galilee and you will never go back.

The weight on mine with the stock handle is 181g. Despite what Maksim states about fit and finish there is no gap between the ferrule and the wood handle, which is of good quality. In addition, I find the balance point for me to be spot on. Add to this super sharp oob (as were all my munies...grrr no stones needed) and the is JNS'S best bang for the buck by far IMHO.

@captain, seriously munetoshi might be the sharpest knife I've ever received ootb. Kinda curious what is used to sharpen it what the process is.

@labor of love - I know, right? What's worse? Grinning like a fool when you get a brand new stupid sharp knife, or grinning like a fool when something arrives kinda meh...so you get to pull out your stones.

AND to put things in perspective...I tend to only buy a nakiri and a gyuto from a single maker as I like to experience different styles etc. So far the only exceptions are Munetoshi and Toyoma. That should tell you something.

I use the Munetoshi butcher, slicer, and petty at work in a small fancy meat/butcher shop. They've become my go-to set. Sharpening them is a goll dang pleasure, and they get sharp as blazes on a Shapton 2000 in seconds.

No worries. I've been online BEFORE the internet when the male to female ratio was (no kidding) something like 150:1. On the old geek bulletin boards once it came out you were a chick:

1. You weren't taken seriously

2. Everyone started hitting on you.

Old habits die hard. I keep using my gender neutral pseudo. Anyway suites me better than knife princess :grin:

Fwiw this community is BY FAR more respectful/fearful of their s/o than any other board I've been on. May have something to do with lots of sharp things in the house but who knows?

@captain, seriously munetoshi might be the sharpest knife I've ever received ootb. Kinda curious what is used to sharpen it what the process is.

Glad I'm not the only one to feel this way. My petty came "stupid crazy oh shoot I'm accidentally bleeding now" sharp. Really curious how it's sharpened and with what.

Check out Maksims videos, I think he hand sharpens many of his knives before they go out.

Thank's again Captain! I guess now I have ran out of excuses to pull the trigger...

Captain - do you have/had the Toyama 210 gyuto? I was considerig it also, more inclined towards the Mune due to the price, but would love to hear a quick comparison

Thank's again Captain! I guess now I have ran out of excuses to pull the trigger...

Captain - do you have/had the Toyama 210 gyuto? I was considerig it also, more inclined towards the Mune due to the price, but would love to hear a quick comparison

I have an Itinomonn semi stainless 210 gyuto and at that price it's difficult to imagine a better value for your coin. Maybe it's something to look into if you like a workhorse type blade with a thin edge and nimble tip for less $ than Toyama. I've seen Toyama users compare the two rather closely and favorably.

I believe the 210 Itinomonn at JNS is fully SS (core and cladding). If it was carbon steel (at least the core) I would have bought it already. It's a very good match for what I want. Seems to have very good F&F also. But I'm a sucker for patina and the feel of carbon on the stones...

Do you feel the Iti is easy to sharpen?

I have an Itinomonn semi stainless 210 gyuto and at that price it's difficult to imagine a better value for your coin. Maybe it's something to look into if you like a workhorse type blade with a thin edge and nimble tip for less $ than Toyama. I've seen Toyama users compare the two rather closely and favorably.

I believe the 210 Itinomonn at JNS is fully SS (core and cladding). If it was carbon steel (at least the core) I would have bought it already. It's a very good match for what I want. Seems to have very good F&F also. But I'm a sucker for patina and the feel of carbon on the stones...

Itinomonn is easy to sharpen, but nothing compares to full carbon. If that is your preference then look into the Munetoshi and Toyama. I can't comment on the Munetoshi so I'll leave that for those that have one.

I know what you mean about a nice patina on a full carbon blade. FWIW the exposed core takes on a blueish gray patina and it sharpens very similarly to a white #2 knife I currently have. Don't get me wrong the Toyama looks like a really nice choice! If the price was more on par with my budget I would have gone the Toyama route also!

I know what you mean about a nice patina on a full carbon blade. FWIW the exposed core takes on a blueish gray patina and it sharpens very similarly to a white #2 knife I currently have. Don't get me wrong the Toyama looks like a really nice choice! If the price was more on par with my budget I would have gone the Toyama route also!

Oh well, I was almost decided on the Munetoshi but you just made the Iti more interesting :ubersexy:

TBH I like Itinomonn's specs a little better. Lighter and a bit thinner, looks like a slim midweight gyuto while the Mune would be a bulkier midweight, almost workhorse. That's my impression at least, without having handled them

Have you tried any Jnat on your Itinomonn? I'm curious about the results you could get on the kasumi and contrast, being an all-SS blade.

I only use synthetics atm so i can't​ help you on that front. I feel like a skilled individual you get a nice looking contrast between the two steels even using finger stones or the sand paper method. The blade has horizontal scratch patterns (from sandpaper or maybe some kind of belt not sure?) so I guess that would play a factor in deciding how/what kind of finish you'd want to give it I assume.

Here are some hopefully helpful pictures from my crummy phone

About the Itinomonn (semi-) stain-less patina, I've said this several times, yes it does get a very nice dark and stable patina. For some reason there's a very persistent belief around here that the Itinomonn would be a full SS. I see that claim pop up from time to time. But it really is semi- stainless and actually closer to carbon then SS.

It's the quintessential best of both worlds knife IMO. Sharpens much more carbon like than stainless, but does not rust as easily as a carbon and slowly get's that nice patina going.

And the performance is outstanding. It's definitely my best allrounder. If I had to choose just one knife (fortunately I don't have to :D ) this would be it. It has better edge retention than most carbons, the fine edge won't fade when cutting acidic stuff, really easy to get super sharp, feels nice and smooth on the stones and the profile and the grind are spot on for my preferences. F&F is flawless too.

Back