Munetoshi, impressions of a JKnives beginner

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)
Reaction score
I would start by saying that this is NOT a review (that's why I didn't post it in that section but if a mod thinks it's appropriate please move it), I do not have the experience to give a meaningful one, this are my personal impressions and experiences so far with one Gyuto 240mm and one Butcher 170mm.
I have had the Gyuto for a little over a month now and the Butcher for over three weeks and and thought I should give my impressions. I ask that you forgive, but correct, any misuse of a term in the following paragraphs.

Gyuto 240

Out of the box impressions:

It was pretty sharp and ready to be used although the profile’s curve wasn’t entirely smooth. That problem was minimal and only near the heel, it was gone after a quick session with stones.
Finish was very rustic but I find it cool, spine and choil were relieved but by no means rounded and I might or might not do that at some point as it doesn’t bother me as is. Handle on the other hand is very nice Ho and horn with an extremely good finish and you can’t feel the transition between the two materials at all. The knife feels nice and substantial in hand without being too heavy (in fact I found it lighter and more nimble than I had been led to expect).

Cutting with the knife is a lot of fun, food release is exceptional (https://www.instagram.com/p/BQuL_B5DOj7/) and it falls through wet produce like potatoes. I like the profile and find that it works well with my thrust cutting motion. Also, for some reason the knife makes me want to chop for the first time and I have had some fun doing so. In tax and hard produce like carrots and sweet potatoes the knife wedges, and not just a little, fat carrots are basically cracked for a good chunk of their circumference rather than cleanly cut. In sweet potatoes it’s not that bad in my experience but I definitely reach for a different knife to cut thick carrots at least. Other stuff is dealt with fine, horizontal cuts in onions are not the best but it manages.

Sharpening the knife the first time to eliminate the little bump in the profile was a joy and even someone just starting like me could get the knife shaving sharp. Three weeks later (home use) the edge was still holding fantastically but I got a Red Aoto from JNS and had to try it right? I was itching to try and get one of those Kasumi finishes I had seen so I laid the bevel flat on the stones and got a very ugly surprise as you can see bellow. Feel free to point whatever stupid thing I’ve done or whether that is possibly my fault and not the knife but it looks to me as though the grind isn't very uniform at all and has various low or even very low spots (overgrinds?). This is the most noticeable near the heel, and also a close to the tip. In some parts of the knife I can only get contact with the stones (have tried several) at the very edge and the shindig line, or even mostly left and right of the spot. I decided not to pursue fixing this as it appeared to me that I would need to remove a lot of metal and with my (lack of) ability I probably would screw the geometry and the knife cuts well for me ATM. It looks as Ugly as it could and the worst thing is the teaser I got from the one section that was nicely ground where I got a pretty decent finish for my first try (maybe the whole mess is my fault but I doubt it at this point).

Overall I would say that even with the aforementioned issues I like the knife and enjoy using it a lot. I got it during the sale at JNS so a very good price for a knife I enjoy a lot. Given the opportunity I would buy it again and I suspect this one will stay with me at least for a while.

Have others have the same issues? Is this something only from this batch? Feel free to share your comments.

The pics to show the low spots:

The last one shows the only section I could get right.:(

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

Having to even out high spots and low spots the wide bevel with a coarse stone is a pretty regular thing

Btw, like that instagram video :)

I have been getting that impression, however I don't plan to do it anytime soon as it is fun to use as it is.

BTW, Thx! :O

I would only say that those 'low spots' are not really low spots, but a bit uneven hollow grind (many cheaper wide bevel knives have slightly hollow ground bevels - I guess these are easier to to than full flat since the grinding is made on a large wheel). Do not worry about it. Sharpen the whole bevel every time a bit and over time it will be gone. My Munetoshi (both 160 and 240) look exactly the same way.

Have fun with it :)

I would only say that those 'low spots' are not really low spots, but a bit uneven hollow grind (many cheaper wide bevel knives have slightly hollow ground bevels - I guess these are easier to to than full flat since the grinding is made on a large wheel). Do not worry about it. Sharpen the whole bevel every time a bit and over time it will be gone. My Munetoshi (both 160 and 240) look exactly the same way.

Have fun with it :)

Thx for the advice and nugget of knowledge Matus. Oh I'm having tons of fun with it and I will keep putting the bevel flat on the stones every time I sharpen just like last time until it's gone or until the day I lose it and decide to go hard at it.

Yep, munetoshi's come with an uneven hollow grind. I wouldn't be in a hurry to flatten it out though unless you're really into cosmetics. I happen to believe that the knife performs better with the hollow grind than when it's flattened out. It certainly isnt hurting anything at the very least.

Kanso Aogami same thing. You can reduce the visibility of them spots with high grit sandpaper. I don't bother with it. In fact the slight hollow that Matus talks about allows me to thin on a relatively fine stone as it targets only a small area. In my case I am not 100% sure it is the knife though because my stone is slightly dished as well and that can make the bevel appear hollow even if it's not.

Thank you everyone.
@Mucho You are too kind, and I think you are being too modest. I really enjoyed your recent sharpening write up and actually bookmarked it, I liked how it distilled a lot into simple steps.

Latest posts

Back