Munetoshi meat cleaver - why is it welded?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Munetoshi cleaver has its tang welded to the blade. Other Munetoshi knives are not welded. And I have never seen any Japanese forged knife made like that. Anyone knows why it is not forged in one piece?

Indeed... I even visited Takeda's workshop but didn't notice that.
And Moritaka knives have welded tangs as well? For the same reason?

The Munetoshi cleaver has its tang welded to the blade. Other Munetoshi knives are not welded. And I have never seen any Japanese forged knife made like that. Anyone knows why it is not forged in one piece?
I have one in the shop now for a handle. It’s a beast, I almost want it just as a conversation starter.

Indeed... I even visited Takeda's workshop but didn't notice that.
And Moritaka knives have welded tangs as well? For the same reason?

moritaka’s website talks about stainless tangs being corrosion resistant in wooden handles.

I would also imagine it’s cheaper to forge clad AS them weld a tang on.

Attachments

• 3C0C1690-16DD-4263-854B-7881C8749C64.jpeg
    3C0C1690-16DD-4263-854B-7881C8749C64.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 30
Yes, exactly. After you grind the tang and the weld flat, will it still be structurally sound?

It should be. I am just learning to weld; after welding it should be a solid single piece of steel.
That's if the welding is done properly. But it can be that the welds are only superficial, and after you grind them off, there is nothing to hold the pieces together.

That's if the welding is done properly. But it can be that the welds are only superficial, and after you grind them off, there is nothing to hold the pieces together.

that’s true. I didn’t grind this any further, I chose to accentuate the weld in this rehandle. It will be on Instagram in a week or so once the owner has it back.

that’s true. I didn’t grind this any further, I chose to accentuate the weld in this rehandle. It will be on Instagram in a week or so once the owner has it back.
Accentuate the weld? A bold decision. I would try to hide it...

Accentuate the weld? A bold decision. I would try to hide it...

I though about that. The whole knife is rustic, I can only work with what the Smith gives me. Based on where the weld is, if I ground it flat, I would possibly mess with the KU finish on the blade. I did not want to mess with the KU on the face of the blade.

I though about that. The whole knife is rustic, I can only work with what the Smith gives me. Based on where the weld is, if I ground it flat, I would possibly mess with the KU finish on the blade. I did not want to mess with the KU on the face of the blade.
Won't the handle cover the weld?

Back