Munetoshi Slicer or Butcher

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

JayS20

Reaction score
Hey,
was curious what you guys use your Munetoshi Butcher and Slicer for.
What do they excel at? Are they good for trimming, getting silverskin off, filleting fish or just portioning meat?
Anyone who has tried both and can recommend one over the other?
Wanted to buy one and with the Summer sale should be a good opportunity.
The butcher while smaller is thicker on the spine, so I guess a Slicer makes more sense to work with. Work in a professional kitchen on Saucier right now, so mostly do meat but also do turbot, halibut, salmon...
Thanks in advance.

Xenif

Reaction score
The Mune butcher is one of my fav knives, I use it to break down chickens, small fish, rabbits, other random butchery tasks. It sucks at doing anythig else. Its also too short to portion big pcs of meat. I wanted to try the slicer but at 210 its also kind of short imho, so might as well go with a sujihiki for that.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
What he said.

The butcher is great for outdoor grilling, rough portioning ribs, chicken, etc. Not a thin or deft knife - can't see using it for silverskin or fish.

Have not used the slicer. I would prefer a 240 or full size suji for the tasks you describe.

Barmoley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slicer is thinner than butcher and can be used for some fish butchery, worked really well on large carp, lots of bones and very tough and large scales.