My angle & pressure problem

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by adam92, Jan 10, 2020.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 12, 2020 #61

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

What Adam is describing is a big deal to me.

adam92 likes this.
  2. Jan 12, 2020 #62

Midsummer

Midsummer

Midsummer

Supporting Member

Certainly is a good reason to talk to the vendor. If there is work to be done, the dealer and his contacts should be most knowledgeable in who, when and where. It is a wonderful topic for discussion and perhaps a technique we may want to apply some time in our lives.

adam92 likes this.
  3. Jan 12, 2020 #63

adam92

adam92

adam92

Is big deal to me also, i can't accept if i pay price & receive serious problem knife like this ...

4. Jan 12, 2020 #64

adam92

adam92

adam92

I haved 0% confident to bent the knife bacl since i have no experience at all, i haved contact Gaku & see, how's going on first, Do you have any video can teaching how to do it ?

5. Jan 12, 2020 #65

adam92

adam92

adam92

I haved 0% confident to bent the knife bacl since i have no experience at all, i haved contact Gaku & see, how's going on first, Do you have any video can teaching how to do it ?

6. Jan 12, 2020 #66

adam92

adam92

adam92

In the video mark from CKTG showing how to bent the knife, do i just follow the instruction?

ma_sha1 likes this.
  7. Jan 12, 2020 #67

ma_sha1

ma_sha1

ma_sha1

That’s how I do it with obvious bends, to get it perfect, I use a rubber hammer against flat surface.

adam92 likes this.
  8. Jan 12, 2020 #68

adam92

adam92

adam92

IMG_20200112_170423.jpg IMG_20200112_170423.jpg IMG_20200112_170447.jpg Today i put my knife to working task table, when i put it flat & press close to heel, the tip is lift up little bit, left & right have same problem, is this bent ?

9. Jan 12, 2020 #69

Kristoffer

Kristoffer

Kristoffer

Looks pretty bent to me... I hope all goes well with having the knife changed with TF. Good luck!

adam92 likes this.
  10. Jan 12, 2020 #70

adam92

adam92

adam92

I Don't know Gaku will exchange the knife to me or not...

Hopefully didn't get bad customer service from him...

When i order knife from Koki also had bad experience.. I send back my knife twice...LOL...

Kristoffer likes this.
  11. Jan 13, 2020 #71

Dave Martell

Dave Martell

Dave Martell

Forum Founder Professional Craftsman

Just to be clear, this is my response(s) to Adam's questions to myself in PMs on this subject...

madelinez, Carl Kotte and Benuser like this.
  12. Jan 13, 2020 #72

adam92

adam92

adam92

Hi Dave, Did i make something wrong?

13. Jan 13, 2020 #73

Dave Martell

Dave Martell

Dave Martell

I just wanted to be clear about my stance on this subject. ;)

14. Jan 13, 2020 #74

adam92

adam92

adam92

I see, I thought i explain anything wrong as my english is not good, hope you don't mind.

Dave Martell likes this.
  15. Jan 13, 2020 #75

Hz_zzzzzz

Hz_zzzzzz

Hz_zzzzzz

After seeing all these threads regarding TF, I still want a denka...am I crazy?

16. Jan 14, 2020 #76

ma_sha1

ma_sha1

ma_sha1

No, & you are not alone. I want a Denka too still, after using my MAb., & spend time thinning it twice & fixing some minor bends, it’s now my most fav. knife.

I have Kurosaki Fujin, Toyama, Youshikane, Mazaki, Shig, etc., but I always reach for my TF.

However, it’s a project knife, one needs to know how to fix bends, re-grind etc. to be able to really enjoy it. There’s something about TF, like a wild mustang rather than a well trained show horse, that makes it irresistible once tamed.

17. Jan 14, 2020 #77

adam92

adam92

adam92

I don't know how to fix problem like this as i never happened to my other gyuto... Maybe I'm not suitable for the knife, I don't know is it because of the grinding problem, my knife lose sharp edge very quickly?

18. Jan 14, 2020 #78

adam92

adam92

adam92

Anyone have deal with Gaku before ?

I send him email but until now haven't get reply yet, before i purchase the knife usually he reply my within one days 。。

19. Jan 14, 2020 #79

J.C

J.C

J.C

Supporting Member

this is more likely either burr problem or your edge grind not balanced.
    Have you tried to deburr after sharpening?
    (My maboroshi still can cut through tomato no problem after 3weeks not seeing the stone, just lightly strop every couple days)

20. Jan 14, 2020 #80

adam92

adam92

adam92

I do the process exactly same as my other knives, de burr, strop...

If you look back the thread you'll realise my knife came with many problem. grinding, bent, low spots ....

pretty upset.

21. Jan 14, 2020 #81

J.C

J.C

J.C

Supporting Member

I can’t comment much about this. As i only did 1 purchase for the TF and i don’t have any problem except for the low spots ( which also occurs on some other big brands)
    On the other hand, I can relate a bit with your frustration as i had ever been in the same situation when i purchased a “big brand” j-knife few years back. Everything was okay except it start to bend(warped) by itself and create like a (slight) curve in the middle of the knife.
    I contacted the maker, and he also replied me in a very cool manner, saying it is an easy fix, just need to press the blade flat on a surface and bent it back by lifting the handle to a desired angle. But as im a amateur in this thing, i prefer to send it back for him to fix. Long story short, i tried to fix it myself and it was not successful, the other option was to send it back for fixing and the delivery fee was outrageous ( return ) delivery will costs roughly more than 100$ and he does not want to accept refund even though the knife is still in “like new” condition because it has been a while since the purchase. So i need to swallow the pill and bear with it till today. Still looking for options to fix it

Garner Harrison likes this.
  22. Jan 14, 2020 #82

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

I’m sorry that happened to you. It certainly sounds like it could have been frustrating.

That said, from my point of view that sounds like a reasonable response from the maker. These sorts of bends can happen for a variety of reasons. Usually you can fix it by doing what the maker said, and knives don’t come with an extended warranty covering shipping. I used to get bends in my san mai knives from having a mag strip that was too powerful, and would fix them like that. To me, this story seems very different from Adam’s, where the problem with the knife seems more severe and was (more importantly) present upon purchase.

That said, I’m sure I would have been annoyed in your situation, too.

J.C likes this.
  23. Jan 14, 2020 #83

J.C

J.C

J.C

Supporting Member

I know, in my case, that experiences helped me to be what i am now. Since then, i have been more eager to learn the background of the maker and the feedback from the user before i made my purchases.
    Different case with Adam92, he hasn’t got any reply from the maker which also can be frustrating, as the only possible communication with them is by email and they normally won’t reply promptly.

ian likes this.
  24. Jan 14, 2020 #84

adam92

adam92

adam92

My knife shown many problem, i tried to ask the famous local Sharpener in New Zealand but even toishigram told me he was unable to fix it.

I've been sending email & website contact him but still didn't get any reply yet, if i didn't get satisfy answer i won't purchase any TF in my life anymore, I receive the knife less than a month & using less than 10 time, I look after every knife i got, only use warm water to clean, not suppose to bent like this fast, i own yoshihiro, jck carbonext, takamura R2 for several years but didn't happen anything like this. Only yoshihiro have grinding unbalance problem.

I'm so frustrated right now..

25. Jan 14, 2020 #85

Dave Martell

Dave Martell

Dave Martell

Just this past week I had a Denka (I think that's what it's called....one of those hammered rusty looking ones with a girly sized finger groove) come in for a really bad edge damage repair. This one needed a re-profiling since the owner tried to correct the edge damage and altered the profile a bit.

I did everything possible I could to avoid touching the wide bevel, taking sooooooooooo much extra time in doing things than normal, but in the end I had to thin the edge after the re-profile because it was uneven in sections. So my worse fear was realized.

I used my belt grinder to grind the bevels down thin and that was pretty quick to do however I spent like 2 hours trying to make the bevels even along the length while not opening up the maker's overgrinds/edge laden hammer blows. With all my experience, soooo much extra time given, master level attention being supplied I still only managed to get it satisfactory looking and even.

Now had I needed to then take it to the stones, well I'm pretty sure it would have been another 4-6 hrs work to get it done. I'm just glad that I didn't have to go that route on this particular job.

These knives are VERY rough (even crude) in many ways and should be known to be this way so that new knifenuts can make informed decisions. It does no one but the maker/reseller any good to hype up a knife of this quality. This is the same exact situation as Moritaka.

I feel sorry for Adam.

kayman67, madelinez and Benuser like this.
  26. Jan 14, 2020 #86

Garm

Garm

Garm

I can definitely feel your frustration. Similar things, though nowhere near as bad, have happened with a couple of knives I own.
    In my opinion the problems with your knife are unacceptable, and aren't normal for any maker of Japanese knives. I'm sure Gaku/TF will offer to fix it once you hear back from him, or more likely send you a new knife. I certainly hope so at least.
    Should they demand you pay for return shipping, then Paypal has some new policy of providing a limited number of free returns per year.
    Good luck to you, and hopefully you'll get a knife that perfoms in all aspects like it's supposed to.

27. Jan 14, 2020 #87

adam92

adam92

adam92

I would definitely not to recommend any TF knife to anyone anymore..

I thought I'll be lucky to get good TF without problem but i was wrong.

After 1st sharpen realise is garbage quality....

If they trying to searching for new knife, I hope they don't choose TF..

28. Jan 14, 2020 #88

adam92

adam92

adam92

Hi Gam, Thank you very much for spiritual support, Let's hope Gaku will fix my problem. If can, i don't want new TF anymore, I just want to return the knife & request refund.

I don't know if he sending me a new knife, would the knife come with problem again or not, is no point to waste time anymore, i better go with ikeda gyuto.

29. Jan 15, 2020 #89

adam92

adam92

adam92

Screenshot_20200115_183755_com.google.android.gm.jpg I got the reply from Gaku, can someone help me to explain what's exactly did he means?

For my understanding he said is not grinding problem ?

30. Jan 15, 2020 #90

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

In my understanding, he says you caused it by poor sharpening, which is an audacious point of view.

Draft saved Draft deleted