My Application to the TF Fan Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing story! I probably would’ve just passed out when they brought out the briefcase…

After reading thru some of the TF forums, laughing most of the time. I too had to dip my toes in the TF pond. Picked up a 150mm Denka gyuto with the snazzy red pakka handle. Was looking for a petty with a little more height for cutting board clearance, this lil’ jammer fit the bill perfectly. Took it to the stones for some bevel polishing, not bad, just two little low spots that look like it’s giving you the TF stare down… Still giggle every time it’s in action.
C2FF0861-B537-4EA1-996B-8627348C510B.jpeg

CC9241D9-F706-43A9-A52D-CF583E59B3E2.jpeg

Not too long ago I scooped up one of those Sugi/ Fujiwara customs. Having two of the best in the west putting some love into the knife was a win/win. No issues with the bevels @Forty Ounce & this is my 3rd handle from @JoBone so I jumped at the chance. Thing is a absolute monster, should have a safety warning attached!!! The only feedback with it is it’s too good, kinda the same feeing as when you give an old car a new coat of paint. It has some of that rustic craftsmanship feel still, but not like it’s lil’ buddy.

Sorry for the rant….

WHAT DID HIS SHOP SMELL LIKE?????

Amazing story! I probably would’ve just passed out when they brought out the briefcase…

After reading thru some of the TF forums, laughing most of the time. I too had to dip my toes in the TF pond. Picked up a 150mm Denka gyuto with the snazzy red pakka handle. Was looking for a petty with a little more height for cutting board clearance, this lil’ jammer fit the bill perfectly. Took it to the stones for some bevel polishing, not bad, just two little low spots that look like it’s giving you the TF stare down… Still giggle every time it’s in action.
View attachment 131304
View attachment 131305
Not too long ago I scooped up one of those Sugi/ Fujiwara customs. Having two of the best in the west putting some love into the knife was a win/win. No issues with the bevels @Forty Ounce & this is my 3rd handle from @JoBone so I jumped at the chance. Thing is a absolute monster, should have a safety warning attached!!! The only feedback with it is it’s too good, kinda the same feeing as when you give an old car a new coat of paint. It has some of that rustic craftsmanship feel still, but not like it’s lil’ buddy.

Sorry for the rant….

Those are beautiful knives - I love the extra love your gyuto got After few days with my denka gyuto, I'm starting to see what all the fuss is about, and I'm looking forward to getting it on a stone too.

At first, of camellia oil and iron. Then as each subsequent knife was revealed, more and more of burnt toast as I neared myocardial infarction =)

Great storytelling. And truly unique pieces you were able to pick up as a reminder of that special experience.

View attachment 131304
View attachment 131305

Sorry for the rant….

That TF x jobone x forty may be the perfect TF.

Are these experiences at the TF shop only for those who speak Japanese?

Are these experiences at the TF shop only for those who speak Japanese?
Shutaro and Gaku speak English. But TF4 is Japanese only, as is his lady assistant.

I speak Japanese, but regardless I guarantee happy time knows no boundaries😉

I think why everyone who visits TF has a great time because it’s in a nice quiet neighborhood and you get personalized attention from the staff. When I was at Tsubaya, Ichimonji, or any other knife shop in Japan it felt really crowded and you weren’t made to feel welcome and they were there just to sell you things.

At TF, there was a story to be told about each knife on display and TF4 really made you feel like part of the family. You see the neighborhood granny come in to get her knife sharpened, or TF himself chiseling blades. That’s why everyone here who has visited TF has an interesting and epic story to tell.

Last edited:
Cool story, thanks for sharing. That stag handle looks sweet! Perfect knife for prepping wild game meals :)

@Mlan - I heard he uses gold exclusively found at ends of rainbows!

Haha, the stag definitely feels special in hand- more than the sum of its parts. Dare I say it has an element of wabi-sabi? :)

Shutaro and Gaku speak English. But TF4 is Japanese only, as is his lady assistant.

I speak Japanese, but regardless I guarantee happy time knows no boundaries😉

I think why everyone who visits TF has a great time because it’s in a nice quiet neighborhood and you get personalized attention from the staff. When I was at Tsubaya, Ichimonji, or any other knife shop in Japan it felt really crowded and you weren’t made to feel welcome and they were there just to sell you things.

At TF, there was a story to be told about each knife on display and TF4 really made you feel like part of the family. You see the neighborhood granny come in to get her knife sharpened, or TF himself chiseling blades. That’s why everyone here who has visited TF has an interesting and epic story to tell.

I completely agree with this! I’ve yet to visit other maker workshops, but this is what I’d hope the experience to be. Prices almost seemed beside the point, and I’m sure they would have been just as nice if I hadn’t bought any knives. Definitely a workshop first, store second.Add to this their great English, and this needs to be a stop on any knife pilgrimage!

An update to this story:

I visited the TF workshop in Tokyo last December, where the man himself very kindly signed and dated kiri boxes for the denkas.

A1E0979E-DB91-4577-9B20-EF32B8CFC88F.jpeg

They had come in briefcase style cases that were starting to deteriorate. I had museum grade kiri boxes made by a traditional craftsman using Japanese paulownia and Gaku-san so kindly arranged the signing.

E9E17980-D78A-43AB-80E2-5BBC7911B72A.jpeg

Every time I’ve been over there he has been nothing but hospitable and friendly, cracking jokes and this time, self deprecating about his calligraphy skills. If you guys get the chance, visit this shop!

The kanji dates 平成十五年吉日(a good day in 2003) and is signed 藤原照康作 (made by Fujiwara Teruyasu) for the curious.

648FC130-2414-4036-9BD2-ACE8D723E98F.jpeg

8CED3F8B-4041-4BD5-8F6C-AC0357E059BC.jpeg

And to think i was happy with a jck petty, 210 mabs and 240 denka! Your collection is amazing!

Those are great knives, and and awesome set together! I’m just lucky to be living in Japan I think, but thank you for the kind words.

Thanks for sharing that update, Mark. Folks can pick on various aspects of TF's fit and finish all they want, but it's hard to find a better cutting blade all around, made by someone who cares about the craft and performance of the product. They ain't fancy, but they are meant to work. I'll always be a TF fan. I hope you get to use one of those at some point and when you do, update this thread.

Thanks for sharing that update, Mark. Folks can pick on various aspects of TF's fit and finish all they want, but it's hard to find a better cutting blade all around, made by someone who cares about the craft and performance of the product. They ain't fancy, but they are meant to work. I'll always be a TF fan. I hope you get to use one of those at some point and when you do, update this thread.

Thanks, Jamie! I agree and do use the stag handled one (not as old at about 10 years). Feels great on the board and I think with a bit of thinning would be a top performer. Will update this for sure if I ever put the ivory ones to use.

Back