My attempt at knife handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got inspired fr. this site to try some handle making.Mostly learning on my own wt. some help fr. here.I buggered up my first try wt. a Jantz damascus blank at 100.00 a expensive mistake dinged up the choil wt. my 1" Kalamazoo sander.Handle came out not bad.A little more success wt. some more blades.

Using a 5/16 center Mosaic pin & Corby screws on sides.

ecchef

Staff member
Founding Member
Global Moderators
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really nice! No tear outs around the pin holes....:thumbsup:

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
I checked them out in person tonight and they really do look nice. And thanks again for dinner :)

Stefan

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
They look great! Thanks for sharing. I love seeing this stuff....

Maybe 50 more handles and I'll be on this level, too...lol

Mrmnms

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are terrific Keith . Great job!

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,the Damascus VG-10 Spalted Tamarind,--Fujiwara FKH dyed Box Elder burl,--Skinner knife dyed box elder burl,-Suisin Inox Redwood burl,--Fujiwara FKM white maple burl(burlsource),Carbonext dyed black ash burl.

All the wood I bought already stabilized.The redwood burl I got off E-Bay only the outside of the scale was coated once I started sanding the wood got soft & unstable,Stepan had told me that some stabilization is not that good,I had to find out the hardway.Unless buying fr. a known site like burlsource & a few others you are taking a chance.I got some nice Koa that I gave Stepan to send out in his next box.

Dream Burls

Reaction score
I always like to see another handle maker - more wood!!

Nicely done by the way.

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I made a couple of these,because some of the scales for knives are quite thick,I cut some off & use it for the folders.They are 440 steel,was able to put a very sharp convex edge on both blades.That blade & a couple knives I sold already to some cook friends.The second one I made has a couple mosaic pins in it.

I have to contact Dave,I think I have to join the hobby forum,as it is illegal to post finished knives:O

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Founding Member
Reaction score
They do look great, Keith!