My Bad. Experience with Metal Master

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b2kk258

Reaction score
So earlier this month I dropped and chipped a friends nakiri. I decided to replace it with a new one and found a great deal on a Tanaka Blue 2 Nakiri on Metal Master's website (http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/). Buts it's now been about half a month and I haven't even seen a confirmation email. So I started to get a little worried I decided to shoot him a email that paypal provided....turns out that email is a dud and came back as a error. So I emailed Metal Master through this website multiple times with no avail! So at this point I'm just assuming he doesn't intend to ship anything and I'm going to have to cancel the charge on my credit card.

long story short, Don't buy from Metal Master...Very disappointed! :no:

I think they're just slow...PayPal has you covered but I'd let them make contact with MM.

Sorry to hear about your issue, but it would be great if you would edit your thread title and instead just indicate you had a bad experience with them. Many here have had positive experiences. Thread titles like this one should frankly be banned.

ive purchased there as well, and while i understand your concerns, ive always received my items. they just dont communicate at all and are pretty slow.

Any kind of site search here would have found that most are satisfied with Metal Master's service. Recurring themes are good values on knives and stones, AND slow delivery, especially if not upgraded shipping AND zero or almost zero communication from the seller.

I can appreciate your frustration but it seems the experience is not unpredictable. Very tacky title.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/19824-Anyone-is-US-order-from-Metal-Master

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/18345-Takeshi-Kuroda-Metal-Master

Same boat here. I purchased a stone 3 weeks ago and there's no word from them. Not really worried but kinda annoyed on lack of communication

Yeah super bad communication was my experience as well

I ordered a Santoku last year, but apparently they didn't have it on stock but the order went through anyway. Took them a month of multiple emails to find out that he doesn't have the knife and won't be shipping it until another month later. Anyway I wait another month, still nothing, took me another couple of emails for them to reply that they still don't have it on stock. All in all it took 3.5 months for the knife to get to me and multiple ignored emails.

However, I ordered another item this year and it got to me fine with no problems.

All in all I would still order for them again lol, they have the best price for Tanakas, and it will eventually get to me I guess I just can't expect any good communications or delivery on time

I might not disagree with the thread title. I have Zero experience w/ MM but I am a HUGE stickler with customer service. It's paramount in my line of work and it's just ingrained in me. If I don't receive good customer service, and this includes good communication, I become very turned off over the whole experience. I don't always talk about "bad dealings" here but I've had a few.
I think if we continue to shelter those who offer poor service, they'll most likely continue delling out piss poor service. But if we speak about it openly, without others making it difficult, these vendors might think twice before ignoring communication or dragging their feet on delivery times. That's just my less-then-2-cents soap box speech.

There's been a few times I've sold something here and majorly dropped the ball on getting it to the post office in a timely manner. Yet I've always communicated this with the buyers, offering profound apologies and a couple times forked over the extra cash to expedite shipping. But that's just how I conduct myself. Can't expect everybody to be perfect...

He's slow but I've received everything I've ordered from him.

I'll add my two cents to the discussion. I've ordered several knives from MetalMaster and have never had an issue with non-shipment. Admittedly, delivery using SAL is very, very slow, anywhere from fourteen to twenty-eight days for the orders that I placed using that service, so your shipment's taking longer than half a month is well within my experience. For whatever reason he doesn't send a confirmation of shipment email, nor does he respond promptly to emails. This has been discussed several times in the forums. If this is a problem, then remove him from your list of vendors.

By the way, if you want your order delivered faster than SAL provides, pay the extra charge for EMS, which is quite a bit faster and includes tracking.

A note on Tanaka. When I ordered mine from them, it said that they were in stock but Tanaka was actually making my knife so some of these are back ordered. They do eventually show up though. Buying though ebay makes it a little easier.

I might not disagree with the thread title. I have Zero experience w/ MM but I am a HUGE stickler with customer service. It's paramount in my line of work and it's just ingrained in me. If I don't receive good customer service, and this includes good communication, I become very turned off over the whole experience. I don't always talk about "bad dealings" here but I've had a few.
I think if we continue to shelter those who offer poor service, they'll most likely continue delling out piss poor service. But if we speak about it openly, without others making it difficult, these vendors might think twice before ignoring communication or dragging their feet on delivery times. That's just my less-then-2-cents soap box speech.
Exactly my point -- indicate you have had a bad experience. But don't title the dang thread "Don't Ever Buy From XX" because YOU had a bad experience. Just let people know you had a bad experience --- isn't that enough? Why go on a forum where you have rarely posted and try and take down someone's business? I suspect some of you who run restaurants can appreciate someone indicating they had a bad meal, bad service, etc. at your place vs telling everyone "don't ever eat there!"

So... just as I was about to call my cc company to cancel the order but I received an email from MM with just a tracking number. I do apologize for the aggressive thread title...I was just so frustrated and enraged at the situation. It was also the first thing that came to mind while writing the thread...I was posting everything in the heat of the moment. Not having open communication and being left out in the dark really had me all knotted up. But the final product did arrive today and just as described.

So... just as I was about to call my cc company to cancel the order but I received an email from MM with just a tracking number. I do apologize for the aggressive thread title...I was just so frustrated and enraged at the situation. It was also the first thing that came to mind while writing the thread...I was posting everything in the heat of the moment. Not having open communication and being left out in the dark really had me all knotted up. But the final product did arrive today and just as described.

Hey everyone posts something they're not proud of at one point or another. In this case at least you had the balls to come back and admit what you did and speak about the end result of your transaction.

We have been spoiled by Amazon Prime. If you should order again from an overseas source (not just MetalMaster), consider paying extra for EMS shipping, which is much, much faster than standard shipping. Or order from Maksim (Japanese Natural Stones) as he uses DHL for most of his shipments.

There could be two factors that gave you this bad experience.
1. lack of communication, could be partly due to language issues.
2. the main problem: Japan has some of the cheapest shipping rates available to them, both EMS and SAL (small packet) are very very competitive which enable Japanese vendors to list their items at some extremely cheap combined rate. However SAL could be notoriously slow (and sometimes do go missing) and untraceable, so if you want your things delivered in a timely manner, please DO consider switching shipping method to EMS. As long as the vendors have their items in stock, it should be quite fast.

Hey everyone posts something they're not proud of at one point or another. In this case at least you had the balls to come back and admit what you did and speak about the end result of your transaction.

Well said Dave, and I agree- it takes a big man to admit that he may have spoke in error. Kudos to the OP for being a stand up guy. I ordered from MM way before I found this site, and was very anxious about my order for many weeks. But it arrived safe and sound. As Rick said- we're all pretty spoiled by Amazon and such.

Mm isn't the fastest. I think there are enough threads which will confirm this, but I've yet to hear of anyone who has said they haven't received what they ordered. We're all spoiled. Our expectations have been thrown off by Amazon and the like. It really wasn't that long ago where there were only a couple vendors who could deliver what we were looking for. It wouldn't necessarily arrive in a week let alone a couple days. I will say that most of the vendors who are regular sources for the crowd here are solid folks who will take care of business one way or another. I have a good deal of faith in their ethics.

Mm isn't the fastest. I think there are enough threads which will confirm this, but I've yet to hear of anyone who has said they haven't received what they ordered. We're all spoiled. Our expectations have been thrown off by Amazon and the like. It really wasn't that long ago where there were only a couple vendors who could deliver what we were looking for. It wouldn't necessarily arrive in a week let alone a couple days. I will say that most of the vendors who are regular sources for the crowd here are solid folks who will take care of business one way or another. I have a good deal of faith in their ethics.

2nd that! I live in NYC area and have one day Prime delivery on tons of stuff, it's nuts. And convenient. But nuts. We use it all the time, makes life easier, especially with a 2 year old and a 2 hour commute every day...

Anyway, I actually LIKE the wait, if that makes even sense. Isn't the expectation something great? Reminds me of Xmas as a child...

Mike, do you remember Lee (and others) who would send off money orders to makers in Japan without even contact being made? An address from the interwebs, a note in English, and a money order - then the wait. Now that was crazy....but....it worked.

The thing is that we didn't have much to chose from but knew there was a lot out there, just had to find a source. The same was true for stones as well. I bought about 1k in stones from unknown Japanese vendors just to try them out to see what worked and what didn't for my applications.

We sure are lucky today to have so many vendors selling Japanese knives, this would have been unthinkable way back then.

I had a similar experience. I ordered a 240 Blue Tanaka gyuto. No communication after purchase except for confirmation, but the knife was delivered about a month later, with a handle that was installed approximately 30 degrees off. I had to have it rehandled.

Figured I'd update this thread...I ordered a 270 Ginsanko Tanaka from MM last Sunday (Oct. 25th) and received the knife today for a total of 8 days by EMS. Don't know if I ever mentioned how much I like Tanaka knives. This thing is very nice...decent ho/horn handle, 270 x 55, 200g and has a very nice edge OOB. The knife (just like the last Tanaka I owned) had no noticeable oddities with the grind and is what I consider an outstanding value...I paid ~$150 w/shipping:wink: The spine and choil will need some work but knew I'd be doing that before I placed the order.

I don't usually purchase/use stainless knives and not sure how much I'll enjoy taking it to the stones for thinning but so far so good. :doublethumbsup:

Cheers

Crappy pic and the edge irregularities are from the fleece towels.

20151102_214424_zpslyhjst1q.jpg

Figured I'd update this thread...I ordered a 270 Ginsanko Tanaka from MM last Sunday (Oct. 25th) and received the knife today for a total of 8 days by EMS. Don't know if I ever mentioned how much I like Tanaka knives. This thing is very nice...decent ho/horn handle, 270 x 55, 200g and has a very nice edge OOB. The knife (just like the last Tanaka I owned) had no noticeable oddities with the grind and is what I consider an outstanding value...I paid ~$150 w/shipping:wink: The spine and choil will need some work but knew I'd be doing that before I placed the order.

I don't usually purchase/use stainless knives and not sure how much I'll enjoy taking it to the stones for thinning but so far so good. :doublethumbsup:

Cheers

Crappy pic and the edge irregularities are from the fleece towels.

20151102_214424_zpslyhjst1q.jpg
would you say it needed thinning ootb? choil shot? the finish looks really nice on that knife!

Finish is excellent. Tried a few choil shots, but I'll have to take out a camera later--my phone kinda' sucks at that. I'll likely thin it the first time I sharpen it mainly to see how it goes thinning this particular stainless/cladding combination, but wouldn't say that it necessarily needs it. I'm not one that likes a knife to be super skinny as much as some members--thin is good, but I'm pretty rough on a knife so super thin is not exactly the right geometry for me. For a large knife, it seems particularly capable of delicate cuts...I did brunoise cuts on onion, poblano, jalapeno, carrot and garlic. I also cut a few potatoes to make sure it wouldn't stick--came through with flying colors. :knife:

Edge was good enough to not leave any accordion cuts on any veggies. Think the profile is pretty sweet too, but again my pics kinda' suck.:clown:

Yeah I have been quite impressed with my 240 and 150. Even though the 150 petty has admittedly pretty chunky geometry it still floats through and actually has a nice flatish profile. The petty I expect will be my first foray into thinning.

And to report yet another user experience.... I grabbed up the other remaining 270 Ginsan from MM... like chinacats I choosed EMS over SAL shipping. Time table breaks down like this:

Sunday, Oct. 25th: Placed the order
Wednesday, 28th: Parcel was shipped, got an email with the EMS tracking number
Thursday, 29th: Parcel left Japan
Saturday, 31th: Got handed over to German customs
Tuesday, Nov. 3th: Left customs
Wednesday, 4th: Got delivered to my address via DHL Express

That's less than two weeks, which is quite a good quota for a delivery to Germany that has to pass customs... I had more than one order in the past, where the parcel was stuck in customs for about a week (or more) alone...

Knife is 270 long as advertised, weight of mine is 195g... No rounded spine and choil, so there is a noticeable difference to the K&S 240 Tanaka I also own in terms of comfort. On the other hand it came with pretty no glaringly visible scratches on the blade, which can't be said about the 240. Handle was better than what I expected. The quality of the wood & horn is surely not on par with the handles on my three Ashi Hamono Gingas and the one Konosuke I have. But it's not shabby, so it's pretty much a practical no frills handle. If I wasn't very partial to octagonal shaped handles, I would stick with it....

Profile of the blade is very nice, rocks like a charm and the tip seems to be a bit more delicate than the one on my 240. Grind on the 240 between the "Shinogi" line and the bevel seems to be a bit thinner on the 240, but my first impression after cutting half an onion, two carrots and a piece of cucumber is that it doesn't necessarily needs thinning right out of the box. Esp. since I bought this one as kind of a beater knife to rock-chop big amounts of herbs, or stuff like (savoy) cabbage and kale... and for that task a not to delicate edge is a bit more suitable...

I would be careful on the rock chop. In my experience Tanaka knives are pretty pliable, if you know the fingernail flex test do it on the edge of your 270 and you'll see what I mean. Rock chop lightly!!

Back