My Birthday Giveaway!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah. You know what, I was thinking that this thread was for you... but given everything else ... man, but the timing is so perfect! I mean, it HAS to be, right? Or?

Alright, assuming that wasn't you, I'll go with a custom ashi from JKI.

Ah. You know what, I was thinking that this thread was for you... but given everything else ... man, but the timing is so perfect! I mean, it HAS to be, right? Or?

Alright, assuming that wasn't you, I'll go with a custom ashi from JKI.
She had a budget of $150. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm not sure you can get an ebony handle and saya for $150, let alone a knife to go with them!

No idea what knife it is, but adorable daughter + stupendous wife (she's loving seeing you so happy) = the best gift.

You're a lucky man, enjoy all three.

But who else does sayas? And if it's not a custom, after-market saya, what manufacturers will do an ebony saya for a western?

I've got an idea for a hint. You could tell us what it is! :D

Well I'm toss out another guess and go with a custom Marko Tsourkan?? Don't this it's been mentioned yet.

It is a black plastic housed Hickymoto.

Time for another hint. And cute baby knife nut in training.

The other one's already sharpening. Check it out:

_MG_8467.jpg

Ok here's another hint, it's a pretty big one:
It's not new.
It's not within her original budget, per se.

The faster someone gets it, the faster the entries stop! :evilgrin:
Keep guessing! Who wants some strop paste?!

I've got an idea for a hint. You could tell us what it is! :D
That's no fun! You even get a short peak at the profile. And the thing thats stumping you all should be the giveaway for some of you.

Hmmmm, didn't Dave M have one or two 'used' knives hanging around for a while? Is there one less of those beauties now?

Got to be one of Bishamons sale knives...perhaps a deba?

Ok, Eamon, these are my last two guesses then I am done. Gesshin blue honyaki or Konosuke Deba. And don't even tell me if it is that super expensive lacquer mizu stuff from Konosuke. If that's the case, you need give up more than paste ;)

k.

Is it the Konosuke Fujiayama honyaki yanagi with laquer handle/saya? Or perhaps a gyuto version of that?

Edit: Looking at the video, it definitely looks like a deba/gyuto. I'd still guess Konosuke Fujiyama with lacquer.

Here it is!
eamon3.jpg

:bliss::bliss::bliss:

It's a Shigefusa 240mm Kitaeji Gyuto!

It used to belong to Scott(aka SaltyDog), and now it has a new life at my job. The handle and saya are coated in the black textured stuff that Salty puts on all his work knives. Not sure many other people can claim that as an MO, someone shoulda picked up on that! This thing cuts like a DREAM, and has been great to me all week. I've been on a shige-moon for a week now.

Now I know what to do with the Red Mallee burl I've had acclimating on my shelf for a few months.:happy1:

Best.
Surprise.
Ever.

The guy who won was AndrewH! Hooray for both of us!

Here it is!
eamon3.jpg

:bliss::bliss::bliss:

It's a Shigefusa 240mm Kitaeji Gyuto!

It used to belong to Scott(aka SaltyDog), and now it has a new life at my job. The handle and saya are coated in the black textured stuff that Salty puts on all his work knives. Not sure many other people can claim that as an MO, someone shoulda picked up on that! This thing cuts like a DREAM, and has been great to me all week. I've been on a shige-moon for a week now.

Now I know what to do with the Red Mallee burl I've had acclimating on my shelf for a few months.:happy1:

Best.
Surprise.
Ever.

The guy who won was AndrewH! Hooray for both of us!

Hooray for both of us indeed!

Big congrats all around! Awesome wife ya got there!

Back